Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 7:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Maybe the answer is closer than we like to admit »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Maybe the answer is closer than we like to admit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Maybe the answer is closer than we like to admit  (Read 804 times)
make_it_stop
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Maybe the answer is closer than we like to admit
« on: Feb 13th, 2006, 1:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, back here under a different name after an absence of 3 years...I was having too much fun being CH free to spend time at the PC.

I've had Ch on and off for the past 15 years and the last was the worst (8 weeks of agony with no relief from any of the meds I tried).

My Ch walked out the door a week ago with a partner who caused me a lot of stress..bang it was gone just like that ( apart from a residual sore head from my head banging activities ).

Now that got me thinking (a rare event ) and I got details from my doctor of when I had got the attacks in the past along with all my other medical history.

I don't keep diaries but I do remember stressfull events and I was able to match up every CH attack to a big or drawn out stress.

Not only that but as I suffer from torn ligaments and tendons for no apparent reason ,I checked the dates those happened and they also followed closely behind  a major stress.

So here I was swallowing 1500mg of Eplilim (sodium Val)
a day plus 75 mg of Prednisolone and it wasn't working.. all I needed was to be free of a stressing person and next day I'm ok again. I can't believe that I didn't realize it before now...talk about dumb...my doctor is no smarter obviously.

Sure I can't avoid stressfull events for the rest of my life but I can be aware that even if I think my mind is relaxed it doesn't mean that the stress won't get me physically...so I am now exploring the reasons I can't tolerate stress with a professional and coming up with solutions that will hopefully not only prevent CH but also further physical damage to tendons.

SO my long winded point is....there is a cause for everything including CH and sometimes it can be found so close to home that we can't see it.

When you are CH free it is easy to think that it was all a very bad dream...but it was all too real ,so do yourselves a favour and sit down and write out everything that you'd prefer not to have in your life....and try to do something about achieving that release.

Best wishes to you all    Roll Eyes
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Maybe the answer is closer than we like to adm
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 1:56pm »

on Feb 13th, 2006, 1:44pm, make_it_stop wrote:
Hi all, back here under a different name after an absence of 3 years...I was having too much fun being CH free to spend time at the PC.

I've had Ch on and off for the past 15 years and the last was the worst (8 weeks of agony with no relief from any of the meds I tried).

My Ch walked out the door a week ago with a partner who caused me a lot of stress..bang it was gone just like that ( apart from a residual sore head from my head banging activities ).

Now that got me thinking (a rare event ) and I got details from my doctor of when I had got the attacks in the past along with all my other medical history.

I don't keep diaries but I do remember stressfull events and I was able to match up every CH attack to a big or drawn out stress.

Not only that but as I suffer from torn ligaments and tendons for no apparent reason ,I checked the dates those happened and they also followed closely behind  a major stress.

So here I was swallowing 1500mg of Eplilim (sodium Val)
a day plus 75 mg of Prednisolone and it wasn't working.. all I needed was to be free of a stressing person and next day I'm ok again. I can't believe that I didn't realize it before now...talk about dumb...my doctor is no smarter obviously.

Sure I can't avoid stressfull events for the rest of my life but I can be aware that even if I think my mind is relaxed it doesn't mean that the stress won't get me physically...so I am now exploring the reasons I can't tolerate stress with a professional and coming up with solutions that will hopefully not only prevent CH but also further physical damage to tendons.

SO my long winded point is....there is a cause for everything including CH and sometimes it can be found so close to home that we can't see it.

When you are CH free it is easy to think that it was all a very bad dream...but it was all too real ,so do yourselves a favour and sit down and write out everything that you'd prefer not to have in your life....and try to do something about achieving that release.

Best wishes to you all    Roll Eyes

hmmmmmm........ applying that theory it would mean I would have to run away from everything in my life. because EVERYTHING stresses me out.
 laugh

interesting thoughts... seriously though, my pattern is that my heads are more likely to trigger after a period of intense stress is just completed. my dad's were the same way. all CH is different. similar to how people get hit right as soon they get to REM sleep, mine often hit just when I was finished up on some huge project or stressful period. so all the stress in my life gets to feel the pleasure of actually potentially keeping me from getting a CH cycle. laugh.

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
chewy

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
my pattern is that my heads are more likely to trigger after a period of intense stress is just completed.

BINGO!
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:05pm »

Same here, Scott.  Stress seems to keep the beast at bay.   It's when the stress is over and I'm winding down that the attacks come most often.

To quote BobG's tagline:

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I have looked for and...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:43pm »

...found no corellation of stress to CH in my own experience.  I am at no higher level of stress than when my cycle is ending and I have missed several days or weeks of work, many social events, had too many to count K10s, no sleep, and utter physical and emotional devastation.  In fact, my cycle always begin in October regardless of the level of stress I am dealing with at that time.
I guess the keywords being, "cycle ending," and, "no higher level of stress."  
If there was even a chance, I would have no problem completely rearrangng my life to eliminate stress.  It just doesn't add up for me.  
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
suziq
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 3:57pm »

I agree with Gator - after I experience a stressful incident, it can trigger a more painful CH, but it's not the CAUSE of my CH. I went from a highly stressful job to a non-stressful job and still experienced CH. Lack of stress helps, but it's not a cure (for me.) I've been to a pain psych, too, and I still suffer - no help from her techniques.

I've analyzed the hell out of my CH and searched hi and low for a cause or a reason - I'm just cursed.

Praying for a cure,
Suziq

IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 4:00pm »

can't imagine what has kept me stressed since grade school. I remember that I have (even in grade school) had to stay home from fishing or hunting, or even swimming because of the CH. I am afraid that in all the changes in my life over 40+ years, that stress would change and some stresses disappear while new ones appear. During that time, I always had CH, stress or no stress.
For ME, I don't think stress is the answer. I can tell you that stress will make my CH much worse, but it does not appear to be my trigger.  

Dragn
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 4:03pm »

on Feb 13th, 2006, 3:57pm, suziq wrote:
I agree with Gator - after I experience a stressful incident, it can trigger a more painful CH, but it's not the CAUSE of my CH. I went from a highly stressful job to a non-stressful job and still experienced CH. Lack of stress helps, but it's not a cure (for me.) I've been to a pain psych, too, and I still suffer - no help from her techniques.

I've analyzed the hell out of my CH and searched hi and low for a cause or a reason - I'm just cursed.

Praying for a cure,
Suziq

completely agree with you suziq. definitely not the "cause" but seems to have a kind of "attenuating" function sometimes for me.  
have ruled out "curses" though in my case as I've lived a perfect life and always been good......  Undecided

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 4:12pm »

Same here, stress won't turn a cycle on, but when on cycle stress can trigger a whammy.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:32pm »

It's relevant also that CH in the past has been referred to as 'Holiday Headaches" in that a lot of people in stressful jobs got them bang on starting their vacation - i.e. the sudden relief from stress.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 9:38pm »

Agree with the non-stress. I can't relax without getting CH. I can control them pretty much under a lot of stress, but cannot when relaxed. I just try to stay stressed.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 3:01am »

on Feb 13th, 2006, 8:32pm, AussieBrian wrote:
It's relevant also that CH in the past has been referred to as 'Holiday Headaches" in that a lot of people in stressful jobs got them bang on starting their vacation - i.e. the sudden relief from stress.

Ditto, mine is definitely holiday related... no minni breaks for me.  If life is not stressful enough make it stressful - prevention is better than cure. Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:32pm »

I found no relation between ch and stress.  I quit my job and went on disability.  I quit all my volunteer work.  I learned self hypnosis and biofeedback.  The shrink said he had never seen someone so relaxed yet I was still getting hit 8x /day.  My drs all came to the same conclussion that stress was not a cause or trigger for me.

I am however glad that you have found something that works for you and hope it continues that way.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:33pm by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:07pm »

A lot of stress and lack of sleep always tell me that I'm about to enter a new CH cycle. Stress by itself doesn't wake up the beast, I must also get a completely altered sleeping pattern.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 7:25pm »

Lots of stress/No stress.... had cycles both ways and in-between. Haven't found no correlation. Of course when a cycles starts and/or ends, it always seems we've found the answer. No such luck here.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I have seen a nice remission since changing jobs. But it isn't stress. For me, it has been keeping a regular sleep cycle (or just a bit of luck, who knows?).  But I am 9to5ing it now, before my sleep was often very irregular.  I also used to get 'brainstorms' or manic like episodes that would keep me up late. Now, if that happens, I usually take a melatonin and get a fair amount of zzzz.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #16 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:05am »

My whole life doctors, family, friends workmates always tried to tell me my HA's are stress related.

Well I think it's mainly bull. I agree with BlueMeanie. I've had very long periods of extreme stress work and long periods pretty much stress free. No correlation with CH. The cycles came and went like clockwork most years with an occassional season shift every few cycles. I have had then during EVERY season over the years.

I do agree that stress can trigger a big one during a cycle and I have also started a cycle during holidays many times. The worst is the festive season when a single beer could spoil the day not just for me but for the whole family!

I seriously doubt stress is the CAUSE, but I am trying hard to prevent stress in my life, but not always that succesful though Grin

I don't believe ANYONE yet knows the definitive cause.

I have my own theories on the cause and how to stop or prevent them. A couple of years PF so far. A few more years and perhaps I will be satisfied I can handle them. I have been trying to be totally drug free these past few years.

My experience over the last 10 years since discovering the  trex inj is that I can now manage the pain much better, but my cycles seem to have lasted much longer, and untreated HAs also last much longer 3-4 hours. Before Trex I used to get many 1 hour HA's a day with no means for relief, now I usually get 2 or maybe 3 at most a day in cycle, which last for several hours if I don't inject.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 6:40am »

Back at my episodic days, it was the time of year which activated my ch and nothing else. When I was chronic... well, pretty much anything triggered ch. I have them on holiday and during hectic school times. I do recall getting hits certainly when I was bit stressing about university work. But  stress itself doesn't cause my ch -I've been stressed about things since I was just a kid and ch came into the picture in 2001 when I was 21.  

I'm glad that you've found your trigger, though. I hope you lots of PF times! Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

gardengal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:12pm »

I think sleep patterns trigger me. I quit smoking and after 2-3 CH was pain free for 8 years. I lost my mom suddenly and moved....lots of stress during that time and no CH.  I went off the pill after 23 years, had hot flashes, didn't sleep well for a month and they are back. I was also dumb enough to smoke when I had a drink at parties lately. I think the combo of the 2 brought them back. I wish I knew exactly what it was after 8 yrs.Now I just want this cycle to end. The CH's I am having now are a lot worse and lasting longer than they did in the past.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss