Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 12:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « pc gaming »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   pc gaming
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: pc gaming  (Read 697 times)
mt240sx
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

pc gaming
« on: Feb 8th, 2006, 2:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else here play any first person shooter games ? D.O.D. , Counter Strike , Half life, Halo. i was just wondering if anyone else had problems with playing and getting ch's. My ch's started around the same time that i started playing pc games. Any input please reply.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: pc gaming
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:23am »

Well, I don't play computer games, but in one of my jobs I had to stare at flashing computer screen for 8 hours. It made me ch go nuts!

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 9:20am »

Yeah... I live on PC games.  BF2 & CoD2 this month.

Back 17 years ago when I started getting these things I thought the same thing too.  Tried those ugly glare filters that used to stick to the front of your monitor. Bought monitors capable of really high refresh rates.  No help.

But... I am uber-sensitive to low (default!) refresh rates.  When I walk down the hall at the office every PC set to the default refresh rate (60hz... about 90% of them) looks like a freakin strobe light to me.  The people getting flashed in front of them have no idea.  I set it up to 80hz or 90hz for them and they cannot tell the difference.  
I kinda like to believe that my CH brain is running at a higher Mhz than the rest of the population... thus 60hz does not cut it for us.   Grin Grin
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 9:39am »

on Feb 8th, 2006, 2:45am, mt240sx wrote:
Does anyone else here play any first person shooter games ? D.O.D. , Counter Strike , Half life, Halo. i was just wondering if anyone else had problems with playing and getting ch's. My ch's started around the same time that i started playing pc games. Any input please reply.

My son while in cycle has a hard time playing his games (half life & halo are a couple he plays). Out of cycle it does not bother him.
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 9:59am »

I game all the time and when Im in a cycle I get hit.  Doesnt matter what game system I play on or what game I play on the PC, I get hit.  It might be because of the light but I think it has more to do with stress.  Even though you are having fun and blowing off steam, there is still stress involved.  You running around trying not to get shot and when you kill someone you get a rush.  Playing video games is very emotional.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 11:58am »

on Feb 8th, 2006, 9:59am, ArCane wrote:
 Playing video games is very emotional.

Yeah... emotional for all the bitches I am fragging.   Grin
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:24pm »

I don't play video games, and don't watch much TV at all outside of baseball games.
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:43pm »

on Feb 8th, 2006, 11:58am, Rock_Lobster wrote:

Yeah... emotional for all the bitches I am fragging.   Grin

crackup crackup crackup
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 12:31am »

I play PC games. I always have headaches, so cannot state that playing games has ever triggered one. There are a few times I played games when getting really pounded by the monster, in an effort to pull my mind away from the agony. It sometimes worked, sometimes not. A couple times it seemed worse, but do not know if was because of the game, or if it was because the monster was not peaked out when I started. I can say that on those days I dont have much for head pain, I can play a game without a problem.
IP Logged

RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 8:25am »

When I'm in a pain cycle I have to stop watching TV and it helps. I think it's the same principle. It's the eye strain at least.

My kids tell me it's because I have a lousy TV, yet, the same TV doesn't bother me between cycles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do they know???????????????

RED
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 10:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One solution to the problem would be trashing your old CRT monitor and replace it with a modern solid state display.

The CRT makes 60 (or 80 or 90) flashes per second, even if the picture content doesn't change, while a TFT monitor gives a constant illumination for the whole refresh period.

smokin

IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:57pm »

Refresh rates Definatly make a big impact. I cannot look at a monitor set for a refresh rate of 60. It has to be 75 or higher or will trigger a headache.  

If one goes to a flat panel type monitor, and you are playing games, make certain that you check max frame rate, as your cheaper monitors cannot display the fast action of a game as well as a CRT. The gaming type displays do get a little pricey however, which is why I still use a CRT

Dragn
IP Logged

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 11:59am »

on Feb 8th, 2006, 12:24pm, marlinsfan wrote:
I don't play video games, and don't watch much TV at all outside of baseball games.

Yeah well wont be much for you to watch this season!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thenucman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:28pm »

Yep, I play FPS .. UT2k3. I do find that if I am in cycle, playing can be a  trigger, otherwise, no problems.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss