Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 12:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chills during an attack »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chills during an attack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chills during an attack  (Read 578 times)
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

Chills during an attack
« on: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The thread about fevers got me thinking about this. During a major attack, k-8 to k10, I get seriously chilled, and stay that way until the attack lets up. It may be how I started in with the hot showers to begin with. I just dont remember, as I have had  these for sooo long.
Anyway, I have to bundle up or wrap a blanket around me during an attack or I freeze.  
Normally I am one of those people that sleeps with only a sheet, as I get too hot. (I even walk to work when it is below zero, and it doesnt bother me)  
The only time I get chilled like this is when on a rare occasion I actually do have a fever, or a CH attack.  

Anyone else have this issue?

Lance
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:57am by Dragnlance » IP Logged

Melissa

Email

Re: Chills during an attack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The only time that happens to me is right after I've had a panic attack.  It's never happened to me during a hit, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others.  The reason for the chills is due to an excess of adrenyline produced due to the stressing out of your nerves (which is what my doc told me).

Hope this helps!
Smileymel

modified to say it happens right after a panic attack, not during.  sorry!
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:13am by Melissa » IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

On occasion
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:04am »

on Feb 20th, 2006, 9:57am, Dragnlance wrote:

Anyone else have this issue?

Don't usually notice during, but immediately following an attack Ill be bundling up.

Rich
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:04am by Richr8 » IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 12:30pm »

It shows how different we are. When mine start, I get in my car with the ac on full blast blowing at my head and face. I usually end up dripping with sweat by the time an attack stops.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 1:04pm »

Lance

Yes, I can relate to that.  I am chilled to the bone and rattle, teeth chattering, from head to toe during a Kip 8 - 10.

Even when I'm so chilled, remember I live in an all year round heat zone, I need cool air on my face and to breathe it in.  For this the freezer, car aircon, fan and ice packs have to do their job.

Standing under a cold shower totally immersed in water or in the pool, is just not at that moment the thing for me as I feel I will die of cold.  I'll rather have my blanky around me with lots of cold stuff on my head.

Heat on my head actually aggravates the pain for me.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 1:20pm »

I tend to experience the "chills" as part of the "tide rolling out" as the CH hit fades away. As I often fall asleep during the departure phase I often wake up on the floor shivering like crazy and then get to feel the warmth of going back to bed and curling up with my sweet labrador retriever tucked in next to me (oh yeah, and my wife too Wink ) and the warm feeling of it being gone for now.

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
pfunk

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Lance, great to see you back.  I mean that only in that I hope it means you've gotten some rest and relief.  Like Rich, I haven't experienced the chills during attack but seem to need warmth badly directly after.  I too get some comfort from the car AC at full blast or sitting directly in front of the window AC in my cottage.  Hope some of this helps.  Much luv to you bro. Cool

Pfunk
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 8:48pm »

Chills aren't a problem for me.  Been known to strip off and sit in the snow or ice outside...(at least what little we get in North Texas).

My body temp probably jumps 20 degrees during a hit.
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:12pm »

Quote:
Lance, great to see you back.  I mean that only in that I hope it means you've gotten some rest and relief.  Like Rich, I haven't experienced the chills during attack but seem to need warmth badly directly after.  I too get some comfort from the car AC at full blast or sitting directly in front of the window AC in my cottage.  Hope some of this helps.  Much luv to you bro. Cool

Pfunk

Thanks Pfunk!! I am at a loss for words.  

And thank you, everyone for answering. I have often wondered whether or not the chills were related, since nothing I have read mentions them. Jasmyn, that ice pack thing makes my head ache just thinking of it. I tried icepacks and it caused my CH to jump a couple of points up the kip scale in a few seconds. (i wonder why the neighbors didnt call the cops for the scream that came out) Undecided  (it was also 24 degrees below zero Fahrenheit Friday, so I had plenty of cold)
I have to stand in as hot a shower as I can stand. The other day, I surprised myself to realize that the cold water was totally off and it was pure hot water I was standing in.   Shocked

Lance
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 7:33am »

One of the functions of the hypothalamus is the control of body temperature.  Since it has been shown that there is abnormal hypothalamus action during a cluster, it would be acceptable that there are body temp fluctuations.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 8:11am »

Very weird but true.

Hits draw me to heat like a moth to light.

KIP 7 and above will find me kneeling in the hottest bath imaginable and immersing my head.  Given the wife a few nasty surprises over the years with a shocking view.

Then loads of blankets rocking against a hot radiator - gosh that brings back the memories.

But then my last hit was straight after a really hot sauna.

Really must try that cold thing one day.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 10:20am »

Just the opposite.  During the hit, my body is so hot I think I'm shooting flames out of it.  But, ramping back down, brings on the chills.  My body shakes like an earthquake, and I'm wrapped up in two quilts.

Undecided

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 1:31pm »

on Feb 21st, 2006, 10:20am, Sandy_C wrote:
Just the opposite.  During the hit, my body is so hot I think I'm shooting flames out of it.  But, ramping back down, brings on the chills.  

Same for me.  I get so hot that even if Im not wearing anything Im still sweating my ass off.  Then when the hit ramps down I get so cold I have to bundle up.  Its very weird to be so hot one second then the next ice cold.  I welcome the cold though because I know the hit is passing then.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Findaway
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 11:38pm »

Amazing relationships to the weather seems to relate if I feel cold and chills or sweat like an ape!! If the pressure is high and beautiful sunny day I get the chills during an attack. Also goes for an overcast cold day,... it will feel like I'm standing at the doorway to hell "Sweating". Doesn't always have that pattern but there is a close relationship. I have also found that if the Forced air furnace in the home goes on it will trigger a CH. My loving Wife has put up with this, we keep our temperature very low. Air pressure plays a huge roll in my triggers.
Many..Many Pain Free days to all!!!
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:03am »

Definite rise in body temperature at onset and during an attack.

I always look forward to the chills and goose bumps...for me, that means it's quickly coming to an end.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
debrakayjohnson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:52pm »

I'm a newbie to this wonderful website, but not to CH.  Last episode (springish) I was diagnosed with CH, but have had this head pain for more than 15 years.  I have chills from the beginning of the headache with the eye stab to the end.  

I am starting up my new cycle right now with just shadows for 7 days straight and chills constantly!  This is new for me.  It's 70 degrees outside and I'm at work wearing tights, wool pants and a cashmere sweater!  Anybody else go through this?

Thanks! Debra  
IP Logged
Sheena
New Board Newbie
USA 

SByers281

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:02pm »

Just before a really bad hit (Kip 7-10) I get chills so bad I start shivering, by the end I am pouring with sweat.  
I haven't ever tried ice or heat during an attack, however, in between attacks I use ice.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:11pm »

I sweat bullets when getting hit.  I don't recall a chilling period.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss