Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 1:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Getting Really Upset »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Getting Really Upset
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Getting Really Upset  (Read 617 times)
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

Getting Really Upset
« on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am about to blow a gasket and needed to vent.

I have bounced back and forth between chronic and episodic cluster for the past 20 years.  Right now with lots & lots of drugs I seem to be episodic.  About every 4 months I go 2 to 3 weeks with no cluster and then start again.

I have been using Imitrex injections for 20 years.  They work very well.  My insurance has decided that I can't have any more for 2 months because it's too soon.

Went to my neuro.  Had a cluster.  He injected me with migranal and it blew out the headache.  He prescribed Migrinal nasal spray for 3 days - 2x/day to break the cycle and then one as needed.  Did the 3 days and it did break my cycle.  Then Sunday I had an attack.  Tried the Migrinal spray - didn't work.  Ended up at the ER.

I called Monday - Neuro out of office.  So, I took migrinal as a preventative.  Called Tuesday - Neuro out of office (even though he was supposed to be back).  So, I took more migrinal as a preventative.  Called today - get the secretaries vm.  I am now out of migrinal and have NO preventative measures.  O2 only works once in a while for me.  

I am in the middle of the worst cycle I have had in a couple years and the Neuro's office is useless.  

I'm calling back in a little bit.  If I don't get help I am going to ask if I can come in!  If not, I will be finding a new Neuro.  The worst part is that I like my Neuro and he has been helpful - I think it's his staff.

Ok... done ranting.
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Getting Really Upset
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:58am »

How are you using O2? Do you have a non-rebreather mask and a hi-flow regulator?

What I've done in the past is drive to the neuro's office without an appt. The medical assistance should check you out and either give you a refill, or give you some samples.

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 11:43am »

Ask to see the neuro on call.  There should be one on staff.  You may have to repeat your case history to him but at least you can then get a script.  Explain the situation to the dr nurse and you urgent need to see the dr now.  They should be able to work you in to see him.  Good luck!!!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 1:43pm »

Migranal should not be used as a prevent. It's meant to be used only as an abortive (for migraines). I know you bought some kudzu, hopefully that will help.  
You need a regimen of prevents in your arsenal, as well as effective abortives. If you haven't already...try oxygen.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 3:07pm »

Quote:
I'm calling back in a little bit.  If I don't get help I am going to ask if I can come in!

Dont ask! just show up and make noise until the doc sees you.  If the waiting room gets to see a full blown CH attack, they will whisk you in to see the doc as it will scare the other patients.

Done it.  

Lance
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:06pm »

I'm with Lance -- don't call - just go in. They don't like to see a hit in the waiting room.... Scares people... You'll see a doc and quick -- trust me on this one...

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:13pm »

That's three votes for getting hit at the docs office.  They will see you.  Fast.  Also you really need a preventative.  Isn't Migranal a triptan?  don't think that should be a preventative.  What about Verapamil, Lithium, Melatonin?
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:18pm »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 10:13pm, kcopelin wrote:
 Isn't Migranal a triptan?  

It's an ergot. DHE
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:42am »

All I have to add is: I wish you lots of PF time as soon as possible... hug

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss