Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 12:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Stroke Out???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Stroke Out????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stroke Out????  (Read 309 times)
j_erickson85
New Board Newbie
USA 

Stroke Out????
« on: Mar 8th, 2006, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello I was wondering if anyone has heard of somebody having a stroke or a heart attack or anything of this nature happen during a CH. Huh
IP Logged

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Stroke Out????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 7:16pm »

That question was asked of Dr Noah Rosen in a recent OUCH newsletter. Here's his response:

Ask Dr Rosen
by Noah Rosen, MD

Q: Does having cluster headache increase the risk of having a stroke or TIA?

A:   The simple answer is no, having cluster headache does not seem to increase the risk of stroke.  In fact, one possible risk factor for stroke seen in some patients with migraine (antiphospholipid antibodies) has been shown to be no more common in cluster headache sufferers than the general population.  However, the area has not been extensively researched.
     In the medical literature there are a number of case reports of severe, unilateral paroxysmal headache disorders being caused by a variety of intracranial lesions:  Arteriovenous malformations, dissections of intracranial blood vessels and infarctions (strokes) of both the upper spinal cord and the brain stem.  These are termed secondary headaches and suggest the need to obtain neuroimaging in any new onset severe headaches.
 I should mention that cigarette smoking, extremely common in people with cluster headaches, is a significant stroke risk factor.  While stopping smoking does not seem to affect cluster headache frequency, it can dramatically cut down the risk of emphysema, stroke, heart attack and cancer.

Dr Rosen is an Instructor of Neurology, Director of Fellowship Training Program, Co-Clerkship Director for Neurology  Jefferson Headache Center
Philadelphia, PA

IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Stroke Out????
« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 7:25pm »

Way to go, Nani!

I knew your beauty was not the only reason I loved you. ...... Kiss
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss