Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 8:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just for women »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just for women
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just for women  (Read 341 times)
jackieg
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Just for women
« on: Mar 12th, 2006, 6:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since I am in the middle of a teriibly long cycle, I have had plenty of time to think about past cycles.  I know that theory says the hypothalamus(sp) is where our CH problem lies.  Although I agree with this , I do have to say that my experience tells me that hormones play a leading role.  When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I went into a cycle in January of 94.  By February 7th  I was full term and begging for the doctor to induce labor because I feared I was traumatizing my unborn baby.  Headbanging, screaming, and sleep deprivation can be harmful to anyone.  Anyway, my Dr. was against it because he did not understand the pain I was in.  When he met me at the hospital, he saw how beaten up looked and said that he would give me pitossin(Sp) to induce labor. If I did not go into labor, I would have to go home and wait. Within 2 hours I was in labor and gave birth a few hours later.  My cycle ended at that moment and another one did not hit for 2 1/2 years.
Each month, in the middle of my menstrual cycle, I get the pain behind my right eye and begin to shadow. Also, when I was 21, my period stopped. At the same time I was experiencing my first cycle and was not very educated about it.  The doctor gave me a shot of progesterone and the period returned while the CH cycle ended.  The next cycle, I asked for a shot of progesterone, although my period was normal.  The headaches ended within a short time.  Unfortunately, this did not work again.  With the delivery, the period, the hormone shots, etc, I see some sort of link.  I don't know how this can be controlled.  I have been to several endocrinologists and they don't see a link.  Sorry this is long winded, but does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2006, 7:20pm by jackieg » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Just for women
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:03pm »

Your questions are reasonable, but, as always, there aren't any answers.  For some women, hormonal shifts seem to either bring on a cycle or end one.  In fact, most women report that their cluster cycles totally stop during pregnancy.

Personally, my cycles didn't begin until I was 42 and premenopausal.  Now 51 and post-menopausal, but the cycles are just like clockwork

We might never find the "one" reason we have this horrible syndrome.  Just like there isn't just "one" way to treat it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  PF Wishes.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
DonnaHar

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am convinced that hormones do play a role in CH.  I know beyond doubt that they have in my life.

Also, the hypothalamus regulates hormones, so why can't that be part of the answer?

In my opinion, all CH sufferers should have their testosterone levels checked.....male and female.  We and the docs just might be surprised at how many of us are out of balance.
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 3:16pm »

It seemed like my clusters got worse during perimenopause and are just as bad now post menopause.  (age 56).

I may just have been more aware of what they were so it seemed like they got worse.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 3:55pm »

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006 Jan 11  

Cluster headache in women - relation with menstruation, use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy and menopause.

van Vliet JA, Favier I, Helmerhorst FM, Haan J, Ferrari MD.

Medical Centre Haaglanden, Netherlands.

Abstract In contrast to migraine, little is known about the relationship between cluster headache and menstrual cycle, oral contraceptives, pregnancy and menopause. We performed a population-based questionnaire study among 224 female cluster headache patients, and studied the possible effect of hormonal influences on cluster headache attacks. For control data, a similar but adjusted questionnaire was sent to healthy volunteers and migraine patients. We found that menstruation, use of oral contraceptives, pregnancy and menopause had a much smaller influence on cluster headache attacks than in migraine. Cluster headache can, however, have a large impact on individual women, for example to refrain from having children.

PMID: 16407458  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 4:31pm »

Never had CH during menstruating years.   Had hysterectomy at age 43 (instant menopause) - still no CH.  My CH started at age 53 (almost 60 now),  so, for me, I don't think there is/was any connection.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
jackieg
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 7:40pm »

It has been said that the body changes every 7 years.  I started cycles at 21, Kris was 42 like many others. About 2 weeks before my cycle, I go into a PMS-like mood times 10.  This is not obvious until I look back after the cycle has started.  My doctor said that it is virtually impossible to measure or control hormones accurately because they fluctuate hour to hour, day to day.  I want my blood drawn while having a headache.  I want an MRI while having a headache.  The tests are worthless when nothing is going on.  I really think that there is a correlation between hormones and CH in women.  If I could figure out when my cycle is coming, like by monitoring my mood, then maybe I could go get some hormone shots.  Just a theory.
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 2:41am »

Here is a link to some hormones and their function:

http://www.theantiagingdoctor.com/hormdesc.htm

I personally won't rule out hormones as a contributing factor to CH as many of these hormones get synthesised by the hypothalamus.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
DonnaHar

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 9:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Here's my case:

CH's started in early 20's.  When pregnant, I'd start a cycle before I even knew I might be pregnant.  

No cycle during pregnancy after the initial one, nor during nursing, but as soon as the baby was weaned, new cycle.  

Needed estrogen shots to maintain the pregnancy due to hormone imbalance.  Actually started the shots when ovulating to even get pregnant.

Had 7 pregnancies, lost 4 children at various stages of pregnancy due to hormonal  imbalance, one at just barely 7 months.

Had ch's for 28 years.  They ended abruptly when I had a hysterectomy.  Haven't had a ch in 19 years.

That's why I can't understand why we aren't all getting tested for hormone imbalance.  It's a simple test and it just might prove something.  You who have problems with ch during pregnancy may have more of one hormone, or less, than I do at different times.  Who knows?  It certainly seems that my situation is hormone based.

The beast wears many hats.

Edited to add:    I still do hormone replacement therapy, but cannot take anything but estrogen, otherwise the progesterone added to most such therapy will cause severe headaches (not ch).
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2006, 9:53am by DonnaHar » IP Logged
allya
New Board Newbie
Iceland 

Alfheidur

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 12:54pm »

My CH are like clockwork always in Mars but during my tow pregnancy I did not get CH.

Alfheidur
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 2:29pm »

Mine started post menapause.... Hystrectomy at 33, but I was having some kind of headaches before that - just didn't connect anything - stopped after the hystrectomy and didn't hit again till my "later" years.  

Harmone patches stopped them cold for a couple of years and them NOTHING stopped them!  

I just don't think there's any rhyme or reason to these darn things.... It's strange that something works and then it doesn't work. One doc even tried those pills that they give to stop blood flow after you have a baby -- worked one cycle - then nada. (Druggist looked at me awful funny when he filled them... think he wondered IF ....)

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss