Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 1:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I do not think »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   I do not think
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I do not think  (Read 1710 times)
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

'sometimes you just need to howl"

Email

I do not think
« on: Mar 15th, 2006, 11:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

that asking someone to knock you unconscious is a strange or unreasonable request. My husband refuses to.

I hear there is a stupid game that some kids play called Pass Out- tonite I find it appealing, intriguing...like- I wish I knew how to do it correctly-

I absolutely cannot go thru another night like last night. I had a continuous hit from 11:30 until 4:30 this a.m. that never let up- crying, squirming, thrashing, begging to die- bad. Then, I had to work this evening. I have been a half-vegetable all night, with a very uncomfortable pain in my eye and across the bridge of my nose and my temple ALL day/evening long.  

I want to sleep- every night I have been taking 12mg of melatonin, my stupid prednisone, and a darvocet for the heck of it I guess, all to no avail.
Tomorrow morning is my doctor appt. My husband is coming with me to demand a neuro referral. Tonite is my last pill of pred. Tomorrow I get to find out that my cat scan came back normal.
I want to go to bed- but there is no way that I can make it thru another episode like last night. I just can't, and I am scared to go to sleep.  
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: I do not think
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 1:05am »

on Mar 15th, 2006, 11:14pm, rapunzel wrote:
that asking someone to knock you unconscious is a strange or unreasonable request. My husband refuses to.

The insensitive bastage.  Hang tough, Raps, we're with you all the way.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 1:58am »

LOL Brian laugh

Rapunzel, good luck with the doc's appointment.  I found it is better to sit and sleep, even if you only get an hour or so.

Sit at a 45 deg angle, bed or couch, pillows stacked behind you, an icepack on that side of the head and neck, a fan blowing onto the top of your head and some ice water to swirl around in your mouth.

Hope you get some z's.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 2:14am »

What amazin gsense of humor we must have!!! laugh

We have all been there!

You will make it happen with out being knocked out by your hubby.

If not tell me where you live and I will send over some "friends" who will pay you a visit  Wink

Seriously, try different positions to sleep as Jas suggested. Do not try to fight sleeping if you can because that will only bring on the sleep cycle quicker and make the attacks come quicker and more fearce.

Be well.

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 3:32am »

I want to go to bed- but there is no way that I can make it thru another episode like last night. I just can't, and I am scared to go to sleep.  

I can honestly say I know what this is like and (at risk of speaking for others) believe a lot of folks understand this side effect of this disease.  

Sleep - Ch wakes you up.   Need to sleep - CH won't let you.  Really need sleep - but afraid to.  

A referral to a Neurologist specializing in headache disorders/familiar with CH may be you're best bet for finding relief.  Keep a good journal and track the effectiveness of each treatment until you find something that helps.  

God Bless

Tom      
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 3:53am »

i love you guys, I really do.

I managed to get two hours sleep- I feel revived! Who needs eight? Sooooooooooo anyhow I wanted to share a positive side of these clusters with you.

My dogs love it.

Oh, they would never admit to it- the way they kiss me and clamber all over me during a hit- I always thought it was out of concern, but tonite it hit me. After the episode had passed, they all ran to the kitchen- where their food dishes are. Yep...usually after I know that there isnt going to be any more sleep, I begin my morning routine no matter what time it is. You know- make coffee, feed the dogs....in three weeks they have all probably put on a pound each..

Jasmyn- ice would kill me. I cant handle the cold packs, ice water, etc. especially during a hit- no way-heat, on the other hand is better. I bought an extralarge heating pad to throw over my face. I always imagine that anti-drug commercial after a bit of it. You know the one- this is your brain (camera shows an egg), this is your brain on drugs- then they show the egg frying in the pan.  

IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 6:01am »

I brought my wife my rubber mallet and asked her to knock me out, too.  She wouldn't do it, either.   Undecided

I'm glad you got some shut eye.  I have heard of people here who get the typical wake up call 90 minutes after falling asleep, actually setting their alarms to wake them up just before the beast would normally strike.  Then repeating the cycle.  

As far as insomnia goes...you see where I still am at 5am in the damned morning.  Angry

Hang in there.  It gets better.

IP Logged
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 6:58am »

When i was waiting for my catscan, I thought I had fooled the beast- I napped for thirty minutes. Usually, I get hit forty minutes after I fall asleep. Sooooo, ten minutes after I woke up in the waiting room- I got hit.  
I had my catscan during the beginning of an episode. Soo, if there is anything to see during that time, it should be on there. I go to the dr today.  

Now, if I had a rubber mallet I definitely would have been tempted to try it on myself. I considered the tree this morning. I had a second episode at 6am today, but my son was awake for school so I spent the duration out in the backyard.  I probably would have rammed my head into the tree, but my fear is that I wouldnt have done it right and would have remained conscious with an extra head pain.
Gator, hope you get a little sleep,  

Kim
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 7:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That Darvocet may be your worst enemy.
IP Logged
karrie35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 7:24am »

Hi--

I was always told to take the prednisone at morning , always before 9:00 a.m. as it interferes with sleep.
IP Logged
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 7:46am »

on Mar 16th, 2006, 7:18am, chewy wrote:
That Darvocet may be your worst enemy.

WHY??? I am very curious- the only reason why I have been taking it is because I dont have anything to take while having an episode, and we all know any pill you swallow at the beginning of an attack wont have time to work anyhow- so I have taken it before sleeping so that maybe it would take the edge off the first hit about forty minutes later. (of course, it hasnt felt like it has done anything).
But, if you have reason not to, I wont take another one.  

Karrie- really???? My dr never mentioned anything about taking the pred at a certain time of the day- they only said after eating something. This two week dosage is over, but I certainly will remember that if there is a next time.  
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:02am »

Narcotics,like Darvocet are known triggers.

What dosage of prednisone are you taking? Are you on a taper?

If the Doc Rxed a taper without adding a preventative then he needs some CH education.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:04am by chewy » IP Logged
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:18am »

I had a two week dose of 10mg Pred- started out taking six pills a day, down to one. Took the last pill last night. He also prescribed me Darvocet. Thats all I got.  
I am taking my husband with me today to help convince him to give me a neuro referral.  

I have been drinking as much water as I can handle, Red Bull, and coffee. Gotta have the coffee.  Grin
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:34am »

You definitely need to see an educated neuro. A predisine taper without a preventative is almost always useless in breaking a cycle.

Try not taking that darvocet at night and consider melatonin.

Dump your Doc. No preventative and a narcotic for aborting is mid evil treatment.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 9:27am »

Rapunzel

I second what Chewy says on the Darvocet. Both tylenol and codeine (aka Darvocet,) a narcotic will prolong a hit and often make it worse. At least for me.
The way they work is to make your body feel pain differently so some people often think they are getting some relief but in reality the hits are longer the pain can be stronger aaand you just might want someone to hit you over the head.

Narcotics are generally of no value for most CH sufferers.
IP Logged

MJ
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 9:54am »

on Mar 16th, 2006, 9:27am, MJ wrote:

Narcotics are generally of no value for most CH sufferers.

This is true, although Stadol is probably the most effective and safest if used from time to time.

on Mar 16th, 2006, 7:39am, chewy wrote:

Quote:But what is wrong with taking narcotics on an occasional basis  

Nothing if it helps.

This is true, as long as they don't cause more problems than they help.

on Mar 16th, 2006, 8:02am, chewy wrote:
Narcotics,like Darvocet are known triggers.

I guess chewy can't make up his mind.
But this statement is bullsh*t.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 4:35pm »

that asking someone to knock you unconscious is a strange or unreasonable request.
Nope! Good plan.  In cycle, I agree!

I absolutely cannot go thru another night like last night. I had a continuous hit from 11:30 until 4:30 this a.m. that never let up- crying, squirming, thrashing, begging to die- bad. Then, I had to work this evening. I have been a half-vegetable all night, with a very uncomfortable pain in my eye and across the bridge of my nose and my temple ALL day/evening long.  
You will survive tonight as you did last night, only to suffer again.  Welcome to clusterville home of the toughest f----rs on the planet.

Tonite is my last pill of pred.  
Why are you stopping the pred while still being hit?  Did it not work?  Typically, I increase the dose until the CH responds.  How much were you taking?

I am scared to go to sleep.  
I use the term, "terrified of sleep" when in cycle.  This is an added bonus, or feature , as they like to call it in the business.

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #17 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 4:41pm »

"Narcotics,like Darvocet are known triggers. "

I disagree.  There have been several posts here regarding Clusterheads having to be on Narcs for some other reason and not getting hit.  I have been one of those.  If your taking Narcs for the hell of it then then I dont know. CHARMA?

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 5:41pm »

on Mar 16th, 2006, 4:35pm, Richr8 wrote:

I stopped the pred because there is no more. He gave me a two week dose, starting at 6 pills a night, ending at one pill. It didnt help. BUT- it did make me eat- everything.  Lips Sealed

I have the darvocet that I will use when desperate. I know it probably wont work, but nice to have it in case nothing else is available.

They gave me depakote today, but I am worried about it. The side effects seem pretty severe. My old boss told me there is no way I will be able to take it and work. I guess I will find out.  

I have imitrex pills. Ten years ago, I had an allergic reaction to the imitrex injection- but we are wondering if I had a reaction to the injection or if I had just overdosed myself on meds during a hit- it has been too long for me to recall what I swallowed out of desperation way back then.  
It will be an experiment when I take one of these pills, with my husband on stand-by if I need help (ie; can't breathe).  

I will continue with the melatonin- I have been taking 12mg nightly. So far, nothing has helped. But I am still hopeful. I am so exhausted. Terrified of sleep sums it up perfectly.
I will call the neuro in the a.m. and make my appt asap.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 5:45pm »

What are you eating before you go to sleep? I found a bunch of triggers. I stay away from nuts, chocolate, citric acid (oj, mountain dew, etc), aspartame (equal, diet coke).

GOod luck tonite!
IP Logged
rapunzel
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 5:57pm »

I really dont eat anything before bed. I dont thinks so anyhow-  
usually at work until late, dinner around five/six. Nothing comes to mind. Lots of red bull and espresso lately though.  

Kim
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 6:14pm »

I can't touch red bull because of the high citric acid content it in. I use Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso & Cream cans, same size, same price, a little sweeter, same about of caffeine with NO citric acid...

I'm not a believer in the single cure/source of the problems, but maybe you're as sensitive to citric acid as I am.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:16pm »

My mind is thoroughly made up. Narcotics are known triggers but if it helps then occasional usage is fine.

Whats hard to understand about that?

You might want to try Dramamine for sleep?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:18pm by chewy » IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 9:06pm »

on Mar 16th, 2006, 8:16pm, chewy wrote:
My mind is thoroughly made up. Narcotics are known triggers but if it helps then occasional usage is fine.

How many known triggers can help?  
Alcohol? Known trigger.....can occasional usage help?

Narcotics are NOT known cluster triggers.

Narcotics can cause rebound headaches but rebounds are NOT triggers and they are NOT clusters. Narcotics don't even trigger rebound headaches. A trigger is the introduction of a substance or environmental change that causes a headache to begin. Narcotics can "cause" a rebound effect, but it is the elimination of the narcotic from the system that causes the rebound effect, not the introduction.

Again, narcotics do not trigger cluster headaches.

Next time come back as someone with a clue.  

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
chewy

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 9:19pm »

Anything you say Mr. Floyd. LMAO!

( A 52 yeargrown man who refers to himself as "PinkFloyd". Well.......decide for yourself. To many schrooms Mr. Floyd? LMAO)
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006, 9:24pm by chewy » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss