Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 11:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My surivvor kit »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   My surivvor kit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My surivvor kit  (Read 674 times)
efzd
New Board Newbie

If you can't handle it, kill it

My surivvor kit
« on: Mar 18th, 2006, 8:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Even though I don't know any of you here, I feel that ALL of you are my best friends.
This is why I feel I need to tell a little about the way I fight the devil.  
It must be noted that the things I am saying here are working for me as an episode CH, it may work for others, but I am not a doctor.

The enemy comes once every 2-4 years in the last 30 years (starting in the age of 16) to a 2-3 month visit.

The followings are my survivor kit:

1. Listen to your body: CH usually comes when the internal clock wakes it, in these cases there is not a lot you can do, but there are many other cases where the pain comes because of external parameters. If you "listen" to your body carefully, eat and drink on time, don’t smoke or drink alcohol, you will reduce dramatically the amount of attacks.
2. Water (WWW), Sugar (SSS) and red bull are working for me in the first weeks of the cycles, drinking a lot and holding your body on High level of sugar may reduce the amount and intensity of the pain.
3. Pain killers: Don't think they can help; this will cause you painful level 8-10 attacks. The only thing they can do (sometime) is to Relief after attack shadows.
4. Oxygen: Usually blocks the attack after 15 minutes and put you in a pain free situation, the disadvantages in Oxygen are:
 a. You will probably have more attacks per day (or night).  
 b. The first attacks you will get without oxygen will be very painful...
5. Medicos: The ONLY thing that works are triptans. For me the best one is RELERT (by Pfizer), 40mg of Relert ALLWAS gives me 12 hours of PF but if you take it after the beast woke up it will start helping only after an hour or so...
The only thing that all of you should know: NEVER MIX TRIPTANS within 24 hours, this may kill(!) you. I did it once and my heart went out of pace, be careful and remember that only thing that can kill you in CH is you! (Mixing triptans or other exotic ways....)
6. Treat yourself: During the cycles you must take advantage of PF periods. Do the things you love with or without those who you love to build power for the next war.
Remember, the most powerful words in the kip scale are: LIB "Life is beautiful".
7. Build a strategy to fight the devil, once you have one, do not try to explain other your pain, just tell them that what you experience is one of nature beauties, it is cyclic, the most painful thing you can imagine, it comes on go, and since you have brothers in arms YOU KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT.

I just finished a cycle; I guess I will have 2-4 years till the next round.

Love you all.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: My surivvor kit
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:03am »

Hi EF! Its nice to meet you and I am glad your cycle is ending for you now. There is some good advice in what you have said, most of which is pretty common practise here already but it's always good to have a strong message reiterated!
The only question I have is what is Relert? I haven't heard of that name used before. If you "like" triptans you may want to consider Frovatriptan (branded as migard here in the UK) as it has an up to 26 hours half life. Its crap at aborting a hit though and should only be used as a preventative.
Thanks for joining us, stick around and share your knowledge more - new stuff is coming out all the time and let's get you ready and armed for your next battle!
I love your comment about the most powerful message of the KIP scale being "Life is Beautiful" That is indeed something to remember and so in the words of the immortal Kip himself - "Zero's for all"
PFDANS
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:26am »

on Mar 18th, 2006, 8:19am, efzd wrote:
1. Listen to your body: CH usually comes when the internal clock wakes it, in these cases there is not a lot you can do

Why listen if theres nothing you can do?

BTW: there is plenty you can do!

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:28am by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

efzd
New Board Newbie

If you can't handle it, kill it

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 7:28am »

Ok, There is a lot we can do, as mentioned in my mail...

Again, from my own past exerience, I know that during the cycle the body is in a sensitive situation. In this state, there are two "typs" of attacks, those who are triggered from the so called "internal clock", and those who are happaning because we are not paying attantion to our body.
I don't know of a way to cut the first type, However, I think, the second type can be partly or totally elimenated if paying attantion to the body.

Relert (Eletriptan) is a no prescription drug for migrane.

http://www.find-meds-online.com/Relert.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss