Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 5:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hyperbaric Treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hyperbaric Treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hyperbaric Treatment  (Read 847 times)
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

Hyperbaric Treatment
« on: Jan 10th, 2008, 11:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay i have'nt tried this but Hyperbaric Treatment,
is used for treating decompression sickness in divers its also used for carbon monoxide poisining, and injuries that are not healing, it envolves breathing Oxygen at Pressure, They put you in a Recompression chamber and simulate a dive to 15 feet depth and let you breathe  100 per cent O2, the reason this works well is that the Partial Pressure of oxygen is greater, therefore saturating the lungs and body with 02, in the case of decompression sickness, the recompression brings the bubbles in the blood to a smaller scale and the 02 helps you rid the body of nitrogen bubbles (wich is the cause of deco sickness)  
Its just a thought but maybe it could abort a cluster headache rapidly fast. for all those times the 02 has failed me, it always helps but dosent always abort it just brings it down a level on the kip scale, its just  a thought i always have at this point. it gives 100per cent 02 a kick that is sometimes needed,
im just writing my thoughts really and wondered if anyone else has ever thought about it,  
i know its not exactly practical to just hop down to the local recompression chamber every time the beast returns but im thinking about giving it a try,  
im lucky enough to know people at our local chamber, maybe they would let me sleep there, got hit 4 times last night, i need a full nights sleep,
dose anyone else think it might work????
I wish for everyone that this pain in the head pisses off
Kind regards....
Dave,  
2 weeks into cycle and counting
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Hyperbaric Treatment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 12:09pm »

Why bother asking?

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 12:23pm »

Here is one interesting study:

http://www.richmond-hyperbaric.com/RHHC.studies.Headaches.htm

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 12:59pm »

At one point, it appeared that hyperbaric oxygen could break a cycle. Follow-ups found it was no better than ordinary high-flow oxygen ... it aborts, but does not stop a cycle. Bottom line is that is slower and more expensive than regular oxygen.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 7:05am »

Hello hotprestwich,

give it a try and let us know your result!

See also:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12421159?dopt=Abstract

pf wishes!
Friedrich
IP Logged

-> Click here to join O.U.C.H.

http://ck-wissen.de - German CH Site

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge"
Daniel J.Boorstin
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 6:50am »

Yesterday afternoon Agnes posted a patient's report about sucessfull hyperbaric oxygen treatment here: (German).

The data in summary:

The patient has got episodic CH since 11 years. Treatment: Verapamil sustained release 360 mg, Oxygen,  Imitrex nasal, Lidocain nasal.

Last episode started Oct. 2007. Hyberbaric oxygen treatment was started Dec. 3rd, 2007 after X-ray examination of the patient's lungs. Chamber pressure was equivalent to 15-50 meters water depth. Oxygen was applied via facial mask for a duration of 30 min. - then 10 min. break, this was continued for 2 1/2 hours in the chamber.  

This treatment was repeated daily and showed no success during the first three days. On day four the patient became painfree, continued treatment on day five and reports to be painfree since then.

pf wishes and good luck!
Friedrich

IP Logged

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge"
Daniel J.Boorstin
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 10:18am »

Thanks guys for your feedback, will give it a read
potter you need to be more possitive,
what a question "why bother asking"
should i just sit here with the knife in my eye and not do anything???
come on!!!!
just trying to understand this, others posted POSITIVE feedback
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 8:13am »

Please don’t take this as a negative post but as an observation; I am the ultimate optimist when it comes to any practical idea or thought that may prove helpful in our cause other than snake oil, mangostene juice @ $50/litre” real value $6/litre” or sticking pepper up my nose, I have thought about hyperbaric treatment myself but would like to see some definite evidence of relief first.

Quote “The patient has got episodic CH since 11 years. Treatment: Verapamil sustained release 360 mg, Oxygen,  Imitrex nasal, Lidocain nasal.  

Last episode started Oct. 2007. Hyberbaric oxygen treatment was started Dec. 3rd, 2007 after X-ray examination of the patient's lungs. Chamber pressure was equivalent to 15-50 meters water depth. Oxygen was applied via facial mask for a duration of 30 min. - then 10 min. break, this was continued for 2 1/2 hours in the chamber.  

This treatment was repeated daily and showed no success during the first three days. On day four the patient became painfree, continued treatment on day five and reports to be painfree since then. “Unquote.

What I would be asking is how long would the normal cycle last in the patient quoted; if as general cycle length is about 10 to 12 weeks could it be that the patient was nearing the end of the cycle when hyperbaric treatment was introduced & the result gained would have been normal anyway.
If in fact the patient was still in full blown cycle could it simply be that the length of time on o2 was sufficient to kill the cluster anyway.

I tried the link posted but not being able to understand the written German language I failed in getting any clear observations, if someone could do a clear translation for us we may gain more.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2008, 8:14am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Berreterre
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 10:27am »

I tried hyperbaric oxygen for migraines.  10 two hour sessions with 100 percent oxygen down 2 atmospheres.  Negative results.
IP Logged
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 6:24am »

Hello Barry,

Sorry, I'm no good at translations.  Sad

One sentence translated from the german posting might help to answer your questions:

"I had such severe pain last year, starting in October, somehow no end of the episode in sight. Then the hyperbaric oxygen therapy was suggested, I grasp every straw in my desperation."

From this sentence I assume that this episode took longer than usual and I agree with you: Maybe it was just a coincidence, the "successful" treatment and a natural end of an episode.

pf wishes,
Friedrich
IP Logged

Daniel J.Boorstin
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 8:00am »

on Jan 10th, 2008, 12:09pm, vietvet2tours wrote:
Why bother asking?

Potter

Because if this country elects another tax-and-spender, then all clusterheads can get a hyperbaric chamber installed in their homes on the taxpayer's dime.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:19pm »

on Jan 16th, 2008, 8:00am, brewcrew wrote:

Because if this country elects another tax-and-spender, then all clusterheads can get a hyperbaric chamber installed in their homes on the taxpayer's dime.

For a second, you almost convinced me to vote for a liberal, but it triggered a kip 9 and my first ever attack with nausea.  Don't be so cruel.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 9:26pm »

on Jan 16th, 2008, 7:19pm, Crappy wrote:

For a second, you almost convinced me to vote for a liberal, but it triggered a kip 9 and my first ever attack with nausea.  Don't be so cruel.

Management is not responsible for any ill health effects caused by the ideas presented in this forum.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss