Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 4:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « oxygen logistics »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   oxygen logistics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oxygen logistics  (Read 536 times)
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

oxygen logistics
« on: Jan 11th, 2008, 6:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all, I think any clusterhead needs to have oxygen on hand, the same way everyone has bandaids in their house.

I was a rural EMT for years and years and I never went anywhere without oxygen. The E tanks are a little too large for carrying around. I always used the D size tank. They make oxygen bags to carry both sizes. These bags have securing straps and are padded and sit on their side rather than upright in a stand. You have to always keep in mind that oxygen tanks can become missiles if dropped. Being told about a dropped O2 tank that careened through the lead filled wall of an xray room convinced me to never stand an unsecured tank up or even be around one. If you carry one in your car, keep it in the trunk or the way back (secured if possible) and always inside the padded bag. You wouldn't want to be in an accident and have your O2 tank thrown into your head. I take the O2 kit (it has little pockets inside for masks and whatnot) on our sailboat when we cruise overnight. Two sources of O2 supplies I've used are www.buyemp.com and www.boundtree.com. Anyone can buy oxygen bags and non-rebreather masks.

I have the D tank for travel (or in the living room where I retreat sometimes to avoid waking my husband), and active and backup E-tanks for main use.

Regarding travel -- I recently traveled out-of-state and prepared for the inevitable clusters by locating a medical oxygen supplier where we'd be staying and having my doc phone them a prescription. It got delivered to my hotel room!

I did recently see someone being given oxygen turned up too high, and what happened is the hose wouldn't stay attached to the mask. The patient didn't seem to suffer any though. I have had success with as low as 8 liters but I'm needing 12 now. Go with whatever works.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

Re: oxygen logistics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 4:38am »

Yep...good stuff, 02.

I have 1 H tank and 4 E tanks.   Apria is my provider....and they have locations in just about every State in the US.    

All I have to do is call my local office....they have the 02 waitin' at the front desk of the hotel when I travel.

Downside is....unfortunately 02 doesn't work for all CH'ers.    

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: oxygen logistics
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 4:54pm »

One thing about carrying oxygen bottles in vehicles:  Consult your O2 provider and/or check your state and local laws.  In Oklahoma, it is illegal to carry an oxygen tank in your trunk.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss