Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « another headache last night...curious »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   another headache last night...curious
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: another headache last night...curious  (Read 444 times)
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

another headache last night...curious
« on: Jan 13th, 2008, 8:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Woke up shortly after 100 AM last night with a typical headache. Left side as always, congestion, pressure, pain, etc. Tried to sleep on my right side which brought only token relief, and eventually rose to take 100 mg of Imitrex, which worked like a charm as always.

But I'm beginning to doubt that this is cluster headache. The pain comes on only gradually, and is only moderate by comparison with some of the horrible stories about excurciating cluster headaches I read here and elsewhere. My typical pain is a dull ache, increasing pressure and congestion. Duration seems open-ended unless relieved by Imitrex or Vicodin.

I'm still thinking about drug-related REM sleep disruption. Almost every night for the last two months, I've taken either Melatonin, or Vicodin, or Fiorinal, or Ativan to induce sleep. I've read that each of these can suppress REM sleep, and produce headache as a side effect. Yesterday I avoided all those medications with the exception of one Fiorinal in the late afternoon. Although I did wake up with my typical headache, I returned to sleep within an hour after taking the Imitrex and enjoyed some of the best sleep I've had since this all began.

This may be wishful thinking -- as much as I like all you folks, I'd like to think this isn't cluster headache. It sounds like a real nightmare.

Bob
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: another headache last night...curious
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 3:36pm »

Could be a hypnic headache or a REM/apnea induced migraine. Cluster pain tends to be quite intense and focused, when its bad, it is extremely bad.  Most clusterheads get shadows from time to time, which are duller and more diffuse. But if you have clusters, you will become very familiar with a little spot behind one eye (roughly in the area of a 'brain freeze' that comes with too much cold stuff in the mouth).  

Quote:
Hypnic headache: A relatively rare form of headache disorder in which the patient is awakened from sleep nightly, usually between 1 and 3am, with intense dull or throbbing pain over the whole head. Each episode may last up to 1 hour and be associated with nausea. Similar episodes may occasionally strike in the daytime. Hypnic headache almost always affects people over 65. The precise cause is unknown but there is evidence that hypnic headache is related to REM sleep. The first treatment option is lithium. If it is not effective or is not tolerated, indomethacin, flunarizine, and caffeine may be useful. Also called alarm clock headache.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=24769

Not a perfect description of that headache - clusters are also called alarm-clock headaches sometimes, although quite different. The 1 hour time limit would not apply if it is a migraine triggered by sleep - they can go on for quite a while.  And the 'almost always over 65' can blind people to a real possibility if they are younger (it used to be said that cluster sufferers were 'overwhelmingly male' but there are quite a few women with clusters, and it seems to be increasing (maybe due to better diagnosis and discarding stereotypes about the patients).
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2008, 3:37pm by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: another headache last night...curious
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 1:23pm »

I know with my headaches, lying down is not an option.  As soon as I awaken I hit the floor and pace until it is gone.  Waking up with one is the worst feeling I know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss