Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « serotonin and melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   serotonin and melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: serotonin and melatonin  (Read 603 times)
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

serotonin and melatonin
« on: Jan 17th, 2008, 4:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The onset of my cluster headaches two months ago coincided with my use of melatonin, which I took in 5 mg tablets each night until quite recently. My neurologist suggested that this might have brought on the attacks by disrupting my REM sleep. I'm assuming that this is related to my serotonin levels, since I've read that low levels of serotonin can cause things like migraine, cluster headache, tinnitus, etc.

Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Bob
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: serotonin and melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 4:34pm »

Clusters are tied to the time-keeping parts of the brain - sometimes called alarm clock headaches because they occur at precisely the same time each day.  

Melatonin is involved in time-keeping, and it could be that a large dose of melatonin disrupted your pineal gland/hypothalamus.  

Clusterheads tend to have low melatonin - even episodics have a 'blunted melatonin curve' when they are not in cycle. Many people find that melatonin supplements help prevent clusters.    

Serotonin is needed to make melatonin in the brain. Low serotonin might be an issue for some people, but it isn't a simple situation. Some people benefit from 5-htp, which increases serotonin. For others, it makes the hits more frequent and more severe.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 6:23pm »

I have never read anything with regards to melatonin increasing.

There is tons of research on its use as a preventative
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Paul98

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 6:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I started taking 6mg / night back in 93 because I have never slept well.  By accident I discovered it seemed to help reduce the severity of attacks and length of cycles.  I later read that people with CH have reduced levels of melatonin all year long.  

I have never heard it increasing or worsening a cycle or severity of the attacks.

-P.
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 3:02pm »

Stoic,

Are you saying that you had never before experienced cluster headaches before taking melatonin or that taking melatonin brought on a cycle?
IP Logged
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 3:39pm »

It's a possibility, according to my neurologist. I'd never taken melatonin before late October. My headaches started not long after that, and came on with increasing frequency and severity for the next couple of months. My neurologist seemed to think that the melatonin might have affected my REM sleep in some way, and he thinks disturbances of REM are one possible cause of migraine and/or cluster. (I'd had migraine headaches before, but never anything like this.)

Of course there are other possibilities. I was taking Vicodin during that same period, and also some Lorazepam, either of which might have had the same effect. For the last 10 days or so, I haven't taken any of these things, and I'm hoping that these headaches will begin to occur less frequently. Today's a good day, for example, but who knows.

Bob
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 11:28pm »

Stoic,

Just asked cause I wasn't sure if they had just started for you with the melatonin.
That totally sucks if that brought them on.  I take melatonin every night even though I am currently not in cycle b/c when I go off it I start getting shadows after a couple nights off it.  I don't know if it is just my body getting used to being off it or what.   So I just stay on it at 6 mg/night--and there are no problems plus seems to help my sleep pattern stay the same from night to night.  It does help me during cycle.  I hope that taking it for your sleep did not bring CH on for you.  Did your neuro tell you to stop taking it?
            Painfree wishes, Star
IP Logged
LucyBee210
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 5:14am »

After reading all the posts here I started taking Melatonin - 9 mgs at night.  Started 4 nights ago and thought I hit the jackpot when I was able to sleep the first two nights without the usual every 2 hr CH.  Unfortunately, the last 2 nights put me right back into that same old pattern.  It is now 5:09 AM and I refuse to try to get back to sleep since I know another CH will start so I'll tough it out and be exhausted all day.  I don't know what else to do now since I honestly thought the Melatonin would do the trick for me.  Last year at this time here in Florida we have our minimal season changes and when it gets really chilly we do put the heat on.  I remember last year I brought out the humidifier and can't remember if it helped at all.  I am just grasping at straws here trying to find a quick fix just to get me a few hours of decent sleep every night so I'm not in zombie mode during the daylight hours.  

Thanks to all.
IP Logged
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 7:00am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 5:14am, LucyBee210 wrote:
After reading all the posts here I started taking Melatonin - 9 mgs at night.  Started 4 nights ago and thought I hit the jackpot when I was able to sleep the first two nights without the usual every 2 hr CH.  Unfortunately, the last 2 nights put me right back into that same old pattern.  It is now 5:09 AM and I refuse to try to get back to sleep since I know another CH will start so I'll tough it out and be exhausted all day.  I don't know what else to do now since I honestly thought the Melatonin would do the trick for me.  Last year at this time here in Florida we have our minimal season changes and when it gets really chilly we do put the heat on.  I remember last year I brought out the humidifier and can't remember if it helped at all.  I am just grasping at straws here trying to find a quick fix just to get me a few hours of decent sleep every night so I'm not in zombie mode during the daylight hours.  

Thanks to all.

Lucy have you asked your doctor for a prescription for Oxygen? 15 LPM with a non rebreather mask.

Just a thought.

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss