Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is this a cluster headache! Help! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is this a cluster headache! Help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this a cluster headache! Help!  (Read 757 times)
Kitty
New Board Newbie
USA 

Is this a cluster headache! Help!
« on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since January started, I am being awakened from my sleep by a horrific migraine pain on the right side of my head. If I stay lying down, it doesn't get any better. I usually have to elevate my head as well as put ice on the right side of my head. Some nights the pain is worse than other nights, but I have pain nightly that wakes me from my sleep. I hate having to go to bed at night. Migraine meds like Relpax help. Excedrin Migraine doesn't work very well with the night headaches. This has been happening every night since the first week of January, consecutively. I went to the neurologist and had an MRI last Friday...still waiting for results. He says this is not a cluster headache, but others I talk to seem to think it might be. I was told to check out this site by a someone who has been a sufferer for many years. So......from what you have read so far, can anyone tell me if these are cluster headaches. Although I have suffered from migraines for years, I have not had a headache wake me up every night for almost 4 weeks in all of the years that I have been having migraines. Any advice or help would be truly appreciated! Thank you!
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Is this a cluster headache! Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:13pm »

on Jan 28th, 2008, 10:10pm, Kitty wrote:
Since January started, I am being awakened from my sleep by a horrific migraine pain on the right side of my head. If I stay lying down, it doesn't get any better. I usually have to elevate my head as well as put ice on the right side of my head. Some nights the pain is worse than other nights, but I have pain nightly that wakes me from my sleep. I hate having to go to bed at night. Migraine meds like Relpax help. Excedrin Migraine doesn't work very well with the night headaches. This has been happening every night since the first week of January, consecutively. I went to the neurologist and had an MRI last Friday...still waiting for results. He says this is not a cluster headache, but others I talk to seem to think it might be. I was told to check out this site by a someone who has been a sufferer for many years. So......from what you have read so far, can anyone tell me if these are cluster headaches. Although I have suffered from migraines for years, I have not had a headache wake me up every night for almost 4 weeks in all of the years that I have been having migraines. Any advice or help would be truly appreciated! Thank you!

ya can't lie down with a ch.  Ya gets them happy feets.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:23pm »

Take the "cluster quiz".  Click the button for it on the left side of your screen, and let us know how you score.  

Cluster isn't just different in intensity from a typical migraine--the symptoms are quite distinct.  The quiz--while it is, of course, not a substitute for a definitive diagnosis, will give you some idea whether or not you're suffering from cluster headache.  Then see your doctor again--and a neurologist specializing in the treatment of headache.

Hope you don't have them--but knowing is better than guessing.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:42pm »

I'm hopin ya don't  

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:43pm »

Quote:
Ya gets them happy feets.  

Aw Potter, what a devil wit dem words you are. lol

What he's trying to say, is that the pain from a cluster headache is so darned intense and excruciating...that we cannot lie still.   We need to pace, rock and yes...bang our head.  no migrainer would dream of doing that.

Migraines, on the other hand  present  themselves totally different.  The need for no noise, no light, a bed to lie down in, and a cold rag to the head is almost universal.

When your headache wakes you...does it ramp up in pain level?   And after a while...go down in pain level like nothing happened?  Or does it last and last for more than 3 hours say?

Are you experiencing a watery eye and runny nose on the side affected?

No one here is a doctor but we are experienced enough to help you through this if it is clusters.

Linda  
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:45pm by Linda_Howell » IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 1:06pm »

It sounds like it, but as they said, you can't continue to lie down.  You will always start pacing the room or house.  How long do they last?  Usually an hour or so.  Then they go down as quickly as they went up.  Let's hope they aren't CH
IP Logged
Stoic
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:15pm »

Sorry, George, but some of us have no "cluster quiz" on the left side of our screens. How else do I get to it?
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:40pm »

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/quiz.html

That should make things easier....

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 12:28pm »

lets hope not,
but sure sounds like it, my nostril will block up on the same side as my headache, also they ramp down in 40-50 mins,
lets hope its sinus related and not cluster
try a red bull or strong coffee, when you get a hit, and if the pain starts going away you may have clusters
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Grinner62
New Board Newbie
USA 

Only the young die good

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 10:23am »

on Jan 29th, 2008, 10:15pm, Stoic wrote:
Sorry, George, but some of us have no "cluster quiz" on the left side of our screens. How else do I get to it?

I'm set up the same way, it make reading the boards easier. Start at www.clusterheadaches.com There is a lot of good info in the articles.  

I had to backtrack to find out how I got my shortcut set up for just the boards. I right clicked {open in new window} on the board home icon from the web page frame and it opens up the frame full screen.
IP Logged
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #10 on: Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:48pm »

well we're all different but otc pills i can take for a migraine will set a ch on fire. if you try melitonin  or any kind of herb or vitamins give at least a weak to work and don't overdue anything. have you tried o2? i would definitely confirm that you have ch or our advice would be useless.  

best wishes
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss