Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 5:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is this the right kind of O2 mask? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is this the right kind of O2 mask?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this the right kind of O2 mask?  (Read 5001 times)
hhsams
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is this the right kind of O2 mask?
« on: Jan 29th, 2008, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband has decided to try 02 again, it didn't work for him a few years ago, but he used a canula instead of a mask so maybe that was the problem.

I read the 02 info on this site and it says to use a non rebreather mask with a bag... the place where we got the 02 only had masks without the bag- does that work as well? Should I try to find a mask with a bag?

thanks!
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: Is this the right kind of O2 mask?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 2:17pm »

You need 100% 02. The cannula doesn't get that done.
A non-rebreather is a minimum. The best is a clustermasx. What ever you do, try to inhale only 100% 02. No ambient air. The bag helps get this done.  
thebb
More help later.
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 2:20pm »

The type with the bag are best without a doubt. Your hubby will find it much more effective.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 4:09pm »

If nothing else call a local hospital or fire station and see if they will let you have one. some will some wont. It never hurts to try. also ask them to show you how to use it .  the er nurses and paramedics at the fire stations are probably the best to talk to. good luck.

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 4:16pm »

The mask without the bag will only work if the regulator has a high enough air flow to pump out 02 as fast as he is inhaling. If he gets any outside air leaking in as he inhales, then the 100% 02 is diluted and will dramatically decrease the effectiveness of the treatment. If he is able to control his breathing so he doesn't exceed the flow rate of the regulator, it should work!

Good luck to him and thank YOU for being a supporter, we'd be so lost without our supporters!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
hhsams
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 5:13pm »

hmmm, sounds like we definitely need to get a better mask- we got the 02 from a medical supply company, you'd think they would have different kinds of masks available- oh well.

Is there a place online to order the right kind of mask? We really need to make sure he does the 02 right this time!
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 5:47pm »

http://www.med-worldwide.com/product1944.html

http://www.med-worldwide.com/BT-410108.html
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2008, 5:49pm by thomas » IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
hhsams
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 6:01pm »

Thank you all so much for the information!  

I just realized that the O2 company only gave me an 8 lpm regulator, so I guess I need to go back and get a 15 lpm- I hope they have them

It's no wonder that 02 didn't work for my husband before, we totally had the wrong equipment. Hopefully it will work this time if we do it correctly!
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 9:11pm »

You should get a high flow bubbler as well. O2 is dry and a bubbler will keep your mucus membranes all happy.
thebb Cheesy
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 8:37am »

I’ve included some photos of a disposable Non-Rebreather (NRB) Oxygen Mask, Clustermasx and M-size O2 cylinder with click style constant flow regulator, a Clustermasx configured with a mouth tube, a Western Medica flowmeter type constant flow O2 regulator with a CGA-540 Nut & Nipple fitting for use with the larger (M/H/K) oxygen cylinders, and an adapter that will let you use the same CGA-870 Yoke type constant flow O2 regulator on both E and M-size O2 cylinders.  

-------------------
NRB O2 Mask – Thomas gave you a good link where you can order these.

You’ll note arrows pointing to the two exhaust flapper valves in the photo above.  Both of these silicone rubber flapper valves must be present or room air will enter the mask and the oxygen inhaled will be diluted to the point it will not work as an abortive to stop the pain of a cluster headache attack.  

If possible, place the order by phone and ask for two. Make sure you tell them to ensure both exhaust flapper valves are present before you agree to buy them. They come in a clear plastic bag so if you buy two locally, inspect them carefully for the presence of both valves before you accept them.  Most NRB O2 masks come from the factory missing at least one and sometimes both of the flapper valves.  If you can get two, there’s a good chance you’ll have a total of two flapper valves to configure one NRB mask correctly.  

As a safety note, make sure you remove the green elastic strap from the NRB O2 mask.  All masks used for oxygen therapy to abort cluster headache attacks should be held in place by hand.  It’s very easy to fall asleep after aborting a painful attack.  If the mask fits tightly and both flapper valves are functioning properly with the mask held in place by the elastic strap, you could run out of O2 and that would not be good…  That is also why many suppliers of this mask ship it missing at least one valve.

-------------------  

Clustermasx – Mouth Tube Configuration

Masks like these are hard to find here in the US but they are available over the internet.  They cost more ($25 - $30 USD) but are reusable and provide a much better fit. They come in a kit with a mask and other spare parts like reservoir bags and valves.  

-------------------  

Clustermasx – Face Mask Configuration

This photo also shows a Click type constant flow regulator attached to an M-size O2 cylinder.  If you have more than four attacks a day/night, you’re better off ordering the larger M-size O2 cylinder.  I was going through an E-size O2 cylinder every day using a 25 LPM O2 regulator.  The M-size cylinder lasted more than a week at 15 to 25 LPM using a CGA-540 flowmeter type constant flow O2 regulator like the one shown below.

-------------------
Flowmeter Type Constant Flow O2 Regulator (Western Medica)

I’ve used one of these regulators with a Clustermasx for almost two years and they both work great. You adjust the flow rate with the needle valve at the base of the sight gage.  It will deliver O2 flow rates well above 15 LPM by opening the needle valve to the “Flood Mode.”

-------------------  

CGA-540 to CGA-870 Post Valve Adapter

This is a very handy adapter to have in your oxygen therapy kit.  With one of these adapters you can use the same CGA-870 Yoke type constant flow O2 regulator (shown below) on the smaller E-size O2 cylinders while on travel and also at home on the larger (M/H/K) size O2 cylinders. You can find one of the CGA-540 to CGA-870 Post Valve Adapters at the following URL:

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/mh-transfillers.htm

-------------------  

CGA-870 “Yoke type” 0-25 LPM Constant Flow O2 Regulator

A 25 LPM regulator like this cut my abort times dramatically while I was using my E-size O2 cylinders away from home.

IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 9:17am »

Pete, is there any way you could re-post this to the "Helpful Hints" at the top of the page, so it stays there?

This is the clearest and best description, with illustrations, of a proper 02 setup for clusterheads I've yet seen on the board.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
hhsams
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 9:38am »

Thanks again for the information... this is all so confusing!

The O2 place won't give me a 15 lpm regulator bc his prescription is for 5 lpm... I'll have to get in touch with the doctor and see what he says, hopefully he'll up the prescription- in the meantime I guess we should use all 8 right? Using 5 lpms probably won't work- is that correct?

Do you need a prescription to order masks online?? I hope not, other 02 places here locally won't let me buy a mask without another prescripton.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:16am »

When you talk to the Doctor about upping the lpm you should also get him to specify a non-rebreather mask at the same time.  That'll force the O2 supplier to get you the right mask.

Use what you have till you get the right setup.  It may work at that level though it won't be terribly effective.

It doesn't sound like your Dr is up on the proper use of O2 for treating cluster headaches.  Please provide your Dr with this info.  It should help get him up to date.

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:21am »

on Jan 30th, 2008, 9:38am, hhsams wrote:
I'll have to get in touch with the doctor and see what he says,  

No, you need to get in touch with the doctor and DEMAND 15 lpm.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:58am »

George, WILCO....  

hhsams...  Please read the PM sent to you...  We need to talk.  

A flow rate of 5 LPM with a nose canula is useless in aborting cluster headache attacks and 8 LPM is not much better. A flow rate that low is kind of like shooting spit wads at a charging bull elephant...    

You do need to talk to your doctor about getting another Rx for oxygen at 15 liters/min.  It may help if you can email the following link to your doctor or print it out and take along if you have to see him in person.

http://www.mhni.com/faqs_high_oxygen.aspx

Doctors and neurologists are starting to come around on using higher O2 flow rates but most have very little training in aviation physiology so prescribe what they were told in med school.  Flow rates of 15 to 25 liters/minute are very safe...  Much safer than imitrex as long as there are no other major medical problems.

Navy and Marine Corps pilots who fly tactical aircraft have been breathing 100% oxygen for over 60 years on missions lasting well over 2 hours in length.  I have over 3000 hours flying Navy fighters and all of it was spent breathing 100% oxygen.  There were many times on every mission that I was sucking down oxygen at flow rates well over 30 liters/minute...  I'm still here.

If the doctor won't budge off the 5 lpm flow rate, at least get a written prescription with "Non-rebreather mask" added. You can use this to get a couple NRB masks.

There are lots of sources for 25 LPM O2 regulators and NRB O2 masks on the Internet.  Most do not ask if you have a prescription.

Oxygen therapy is the best abortive you can use to abort the pain of a cluster headache attack if the flow rate is high enough and you use it with a NRB mask that works properly.

Take care.  

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss