Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 10:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « am i chronic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   am i chronic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: am i chronic  (Read 779 times)
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

am i chronic
« on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know whats going on with me.  Can you be chronic but pain free due to medication?  If you are always on medication, how do you know?  Does medication work for some cycles and not others.  I feel like if I wasn;t takin something all the time, then I would be chronic.  I am experiecing my first real cycle in about 4 years.  Taking verap, lithium and just starting a prednisone taper.  The pred seems to be helping.  About to close out a pain free day. I've been taking verap, lithium or both eveyrday for about 8 years. It scares me that my meds are not working and I am about to enter a world of never ending pain.  This sucks.  We must have done somehting really bad in a previous life to deserve thsi crap.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: am i chronic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:38pm »

Hi Kev,

I'm sorry you're getting nailed again.  Four years was a good long break but it's never enough is it.

You're not chronic unless you have a whole year of attacks without more than a break of three consecuitive weeks at any one point.

Did you ever try to come off the meds after your last cycle was over?  It's really the only way to know if the cycle has truly ended.  If you are chronic its probably not good for your system to be on these meds long term if there is no need.

It could be that your current regime has just stopped working and you need to find the magic bullet for this cycle.  It's a very unfortunate fact that the beast changes for a lot of people.  What worked last cycle may not work next cycle.  But what worked last cycle sure is a good place to start  Wink

Don't loose heart, just get with your Doctor and find what'll put the beast to sleep this cycle.  Starting with a pred taper is a good way to go.

Do you have Oxygen?  It works great for me and a lot of other folks.  I back up O2 therapy with Energy Drinks too.

Lastly, we didn't do anything to deserve this hell.  It's just life.  You've found a way to keep the beast in a bottle for the last four years.  Now you need to find something else to put him back in again.

Good luck Kev.  We're here for ya.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:55pm »

hey dennis...thanks for the encouragement.  this is the longest I had gone without getting hit real bad,  This time is tough because I now have a son,(second kid on the way).  I can;t be left home alone with him and that sucks.  I don't want him seeing me cry like a baby.  I have never tried to o2,  just imitrex injections and ice cold showers. I'm sure most of us not chronic fear becoming chronic.  I tried the red bull twice.  I might have waited too long cause it didn't work.  I'm always thinking ahead about what options are left.  I'm looking hard into the clusterbuster treament.  And I will never rule out surgery.  These things really test your will.  Oh, I did try about 5 years ago to come off my meds, and started getting heavy shadows pretty quickly.  SO I haven't tried coming off again
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 10:05pm »

I would really encourage you to try O2.  15lpm with a non-rebreather mask.  I get on it quick when I feel the pain coming and back it up with an energy drink.  Otherwise he can sneak back in on me  Wink

Using O2 I can abort an attack in 10-15 minutes.  I carry an e-tank in my car, have one in my office and a spare out on the porch.  I keep a larger m-tank in my bedroom.  I never go anywhere without it.  

This stuff lets me live my life between the hits.

Kids aren't stupid either.  They know what the score is.  I used to go nuts trying to hide things from them.  Only to find out later that the only one I was fooling was myself.  Now they seem to know an attack is coming before I do.

Live your life Kev.  Don't let the beast win.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:15am »

Dennis
I know money isn't an object when trying to deal with this but how much does all that o2 cost you.  I know I need an imitrex refill soon and with all the other med, the cost is starting to add up.  How long does a tank last you?
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
You're not chronic unless you have a whole year of attacks without more than a break of three consecuitive weeks at any one point.  

Its 30 days.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:19am »

Thanks for the correction Chewy!

I can get three aborts out of an e-tank.  There is a link around here somewhere for a calculator that'll tell you.  I get around three weeks or so out of an m-tank when I'm in cycle.

As for cost, I have insurance that picks it up.  But it is much cheaper than Imitrex injections.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:24am »

Here is a link to the calculator:

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

You want to plug in 15lpm and then divide the number of minutes total by 15 to get the number of aborts you might expect to get for the tank size.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:31am »

thanks for the info.  IF these things kick back up after the pred taper, then I will get an o2 script
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 2:52pm »

on Feb 11th, 2008, 8:31am, kevmd wrote:
thanks for the info.  IF these things kick back up after the pred taper, then I will get an o2 script

Don't wait to get the script!  For a good percentage of clusterheads, the attacks ramp back up as the pred tapers down.

You can wait to pick up the O2 (I wouldn't), but have the script on hand instead of having to wait for another appointment for the doc to approve O2.  A lot of moronic uneducated doctors take some convincing before they will prescribe o2.  Get the script and then decide if you want to use it.  

IP Logged
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 5:08pm »

good point gator...not to mention finding a supplier and dealing with something new while dealing with the beast.  Though I am hoping this is the end.  Its only 2 days pain free, but I feel freakin great. Strange effects from the pred but still great.
IP Logged
Loric
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 9:04pm »

I did pred similarly for a nasty cycle - you will probably crash afterward, so be ready.  

I skipped the o2 even though i had the scrip, and apparently that was a bone headed idea. It take a few days for it to be delivered, so act now.  Also, with insurance getting Immitrex is usually done on an X-number per X-days routine.  So, if you go and get however many they let you have now, and if the oxygen doesn't work, you'll have them.

They don't expire for a while either, so, "break in case of emergency" and with many insurance it's just $15 for 2 little vials of "panic button."

Keep buying them whenever insurance says you can (Doctor having prescribed to infinity) and you'll have a small stockpile should you need it, and not be worried come another bd cycle and paying out of pocket because insurance is fighting with you over dispensing limits.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss