Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « coping with your job part 2 »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   coping with your job part 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: coping with your job part 2  (Read 814 times)
fluff_uk
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

coping with your job part 2
« on: Feb 16th, 2008, 3:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi everyone  
 i was wondering how people cope with working as my employer is starting to get very unreasonable with me  
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: coping with your job part 2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 3:18pm »

Can you explain a bit more?

How is your employer being unreasonable and what's happening for you?

We'll try and help!

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 1:38am »

hi fluffy. have you tried this link to our letter to employers?

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/colleagueletter.htm

hope this helps. i currently drive a truck otr. i have found this occupation to be somewhat ideal as long as i can pull over when a hit gets bad and i have plenty of o2. any job sucks when you have frequent chs at work. description of our condition is not going to suffice one of these  "ya i've migraines before" kind of people.  we have migraines on a good day. do the best you can and stay strong.  

johnny
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 9:48am »

I hope that you have made contact with the OUCH group in GB so that they can advise you about legal protections.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Dyno
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 2:10pm »

Quote:
i was wondering how people cope with working as my employer is starting to get very unreasonable with me

This seems all too common at the moment. Several members are worried about the possibility of losing their jobs. As Bob said

Quote:
I hope that you have made contact with the OUCH group in GB so that they can advise you about legal protections.

You could try looking at this information on the OUCH(UK) website.

http://www.ouchuk.org/html/workplace.asp?

or give the helpline a call on 01646 651979, leave your number and somebody will get back to you.

Rod

IP Logged

Ouch(UK) - The Organisation for the Understanding of Cluster Headache
http://www.ouchuk.org

Helpline No - 01646 651 979
or overseas: +44 01646 651 979
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 10:14pm »

I'm cyclic, not many hits during the day.  A little caffiene buzz usually gets me through the day, but I get the hit at home (where I can deal with it on my own).  A couple get through - I simply just need to drop everything and take a walk for an hour.  

Dealing with the boss is different than dealing with the beast.  I sat down with two bosses, explained what I was going through and what to expect from his point of view.  It may be an unmanly thing to do, and perhaps no employee wants to discuss weakness with his boss.  But most bosses have had to deal with more absenteeism and interruptions from others - it is part of their job.  The pain from CH is indescribably indescribable, but for us it only entails a few short unscheduled breaks.  I'm fortunate that most of my work can be easily rescheduled and done with some flexible hours.

Your job, your boss, your CH are probably different.  See if you can work it out.  Don't hit him up with all the gory details up front - give him the big picture and offer more info if he is interested.

Or get a new boss.

Jon
IP Logged

Jon
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2008, 10:15pm »

I'm cyclic, not many hits during the day.  A little caffiene buzz usually gets me through the day, but I get the hit at home (where I can deal with it on my own).  A couple get through - I simply just need to drop everything and take a walk for an hour.  

Dealing with the boss is different than dealing with the beast.  I sat down with two bosses, explained what I was going through and what to expect from his point of view.  It may be an unmanly thing to do, and perhaps no employee wants to discuss weakness with his boss.  But most bosses have had to deal with more absenteeism and interruptions from others - it is part of their job.  The pain from CH is indescribably indescribable, but for us it only entails a few short unscheduled breaks.  I'm fortunate that most of my work can be easily rescheduled and done with some flexible hours.

Your job, your boss, your CH are probably different.  See if you can work it out.  Don't hit him up with all the gory details up front - give him the big picture and offer more info if he is interested.

Or get a new boss.

Jon
IP Logged

Jon
fluff_uk
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 12:05pm »

thanks guys  
 i'll keep you posted turns out the owners brother who runs our other site is a ch suffer. thanks again  
 fluff_uk (kev)
IP Logged
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 7:25pm »

Good luck with your boss now that you know his brother has CH's it may go easier on you. After 2 years my  boss called me in the office one day and let me go. Told me I was a liability. I'm  a maintenance man and only missed 3 days in the 2 years but guess better time are coming.  
pf night to all
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 7:39am »

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what will happen if/when ch makes it comeback during workhours. My part-time job does include medical services, but nothing like ch is included. I do know that several of my colleagues are using energy drinks on daily basis, so if I will drink some of my emergency red bull I won't stand out of the crowd.

But I'm thinking about it as a matter of "let's cross that bridge when we get there", so I'm not worried that much right now. I have my own cubicle to hide, and some shadows have not prevented me to do my job, so so far everything's fine.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:04am »

Working is tricky, no two ways about it.  Hopefully, your boss will appreciate your reliability and hard work, and work around the ch.

Good luck.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 11:26pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:04am, Charlotte wrote:
Working is tricky, no two ways about it.  Hopefully, your boss will appreciate your reliability and hard work, and work around the ch.

Good luck.

Charlotte

And as the others have said some things can be worked around, but there will always be the boss that is simply unresponsive.

I’ve just been through the old routine of inducting the fourth supervisor in three years into the world of CH; fortunately they have all been sympathetic and appreciated the for-warning, and the best tool in the approach is the letter to colleagues , I give it to them to read but at the same time give them a little run down on what to expect when a high cycle decides to attack me and tell them that once they have read the letter that if they want more info I am only too willing to elaborate on the situation.

One thing I have found when getting the message about shadows across to them is to explain shadows as like having a hangover every day of your life; if they are a drinker of any sort they will have experienced a doosey of a hangover at least once and you can see the wince in their look because that is how they can relate to that low level of pain and then they simply shake their head in wonderment when you explain to them that these shadows are the happy end of the scale.

Hope things work out for the best.
Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss