Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadowing on both sides of temple?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadowing on both sides of temple??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadowing on both sides of temple??  (Read 545 times)
FREDRICKS
New Board Newbie
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Shadowing on both sides of temple??
« on: Mar 16th, 2008, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all

Firstly could some one shed some light on the term shadowing please. Where do we get it/how long can we shadow for/can we shadow after a cycle has ended, coming to an end???

I get pressure in the temple areas but i wouldnt call this pain just a wierd sensation that can get quite strong almost like a current of electricity which i presume is the nerve that gets effected that runs behind the ear to the eye?

I have also recently seen a shift from right side to left side with this pressure,but do get this in both temple areas at the same time - Is this common/ known

The left side has given me funny sensations in my eye like a buring feeling which i didnt get get in the right This happened after i tappered of my meds (Topomax)
and looking back there has always been a strain on my left eye since taking the meds. Im wondering if this build up had come from my CHs being controlled by my Med.  

Has anyone else experienced this please

thanks as always  

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Shadowing on both sides of temple??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 12:09pm »

As far as I know the word, "shadowing", was first used here--an informal word to designate a vague set of sensations. There is no medical source for the term and as this abstract notes, little research has been devoted to either the predoms or after effects of CH.
---
 Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):55-9.  

Premonitory symptoms in cluster headache.

Raimondi E.

Catedra de Neurologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 9 de Julio 3826, Rosario 2002 PKP, Argentina. raimondi@cablenet.com.ar

Cluster headache is one of the most excruciating headaches affecting human beings--especially the male sex. Most of the cluster headache cases are of episodic nature, with active cluster periods lasting generally between a few weeks and 2 or 3 months. A still undetermined percentage of patients report nonpainful sensations preceding the onset of the pain attack for a variable period of time. If occurring only a few minutes or a few hours before the onset of pain, such symptoms are called prodromal. When occurring for several days, weeks, or months before the pain, they are termed premonitory symptoms. The author believes that premonitory symptoms have not been properly diagnosed and emphasizes the need to investigate their presence, because by knowing them advances can be made in the understanding of the physiopathology of this particular cephalalgia. Furthermore, it can also allow the physician to be ahead, by giving preventive treatment and stopping or diminishing the intensity and duration of the pain attacks.

Publication Types:  
Review

PMID: 11252138  
=========
My assumption is that the meaning of "shadow" is so highly personal and variable that, were we to do a survey we would find a broad range of experiences--which would even be difficult to describe with any accuracy.

As to the shifting feelings in your temples: again, don't see any discussions in the medical literature. There is such a range of chanes like this as to be considered "normal"--but without any particular significance or meaning. Many people have pain points which wander around their head over time, even different sensations of pain. I suppose that, for you, this could be a by-product of the med or dosage change but, again, I've never seen comments about this in the literature.

One of those interesting experiences about which we will chat endlessly! <bg>
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 10:30pm »

Fredericks
I too have experienced shadowing on both sides, somtime at the same time, sometime not at the same time.  This has happenend for the first time this cylce and I do not know why.  As far as shadows go, they are a good thing when thats all it turns out to be.  Otherwise, its a cluster headache
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 5:44pm »

Fredricks, I get something like that.  Is the back of your head tender?  My neuro thinks mine are a complication caused by the occipital nerve, and so far the only thing that has helped is prenisone tapers and nerve blocks.  

I haven't heard of it being common to ch, and I hope you have a doc or neuro who can check it out for you.

Good luck,

Charlotte
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss