Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Meds... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Meds...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Meds...  (Read 1152 times)
scorpiorisingina2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New Meds...
« on: Apr 17th, 2008, 10:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was on Propanol, as previously indicated.  No luck with it.  Well it did prevent any headaches, but I was dizzy and lightheaded, and sleepy... I asked my doctor for something else.  She put me on Verapamil 240MG ER.  So far no dizzyness or lightheadedness.  So thats a bummer, a bit sleepy still.  That I am guessing is going to fade away with time once I am used to the meds.  So far no headaches, some shadows, but using my 02 @ 7lpm with a non-rebreather mask has gotten rid of those.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: New Meds...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 10:23pm »

on Apr 17th, 2008, 10:11pm, scorpiorisingina2 wrote:
I was on Propanol, as previously indicated.  No luck with it.  Well it did prevent any headaches, but I was dizzy and lightheaded, and sleepy... I asked my doctor for something else.  She put me on Verapamil 240MG ER.  So far no dizzyness or lightheadedness.  So thats a bummer, a bit sleepy still.  That I am guessing is going to fade away with time once I am used to the meds.  So far no headaches, some shadows, but using my 02 @ 7lpm with a non-rebreather mask has gotten rid of those.

Huh?....am I reading this wrong?

It must be me.....im going to bed!  
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 10:24pm »

That's a low level for verapamil, don't be suprised if you have to ramp it up a bit. If the oxygen starts to lose it's effectiveness, consider ramping it up to 15 LPM. Glad to hear you're getting some relief, here's hoping you're coming to the end!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
scorpiorisingina2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 11:32pm »

The piece that regulates the amount of 02 given out only goes up to 8lpm.  So I guess if it doesn't work as well after a while I will talk to my doctor about getting one that will go higher.
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:02am »

I too took propranolol - very briefly-  i was skeptical when my first neuro ( who has since been fired and replaced by a neuro who knows what they are talking about)  put me on it-  Propranol never prevented any headaches for me

Good luck with verap-  have been having great success with it but at a  higher dose ( 660 mg)  

Hope you continue to be HA free-
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 10:17am »

on Apr 17th, 2008, 10:23pm, Jonny wrote:

Huh?....am I reading this wrong?

It must be me.....im going to bed!  

No, Jonny.  It's not just you.   Shocked

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 1:42pm »

Propanol is an old migraine med which was used for CH many years ago--and demoted to the junk pile some time ago.

Mos current therapies:

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/ha2006.pdf Dr. Robbins site. Then explore the entire site by deleting  
everything following. com/ and then hit enter.
====================================================================
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive
 and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:04pm »

I was on Propanol, as previously indicated.  No luck with it.  Well it did prevent any headaches, but I was dizzy and lightheaded, and sleepy... I asked my doctor for something else.  She put me on Verapamil 240MG ER.  So far no dizzyness or lightheadedness.  So thats a bummer, a bit sleepy still.  

Huh?  I think maybe this is part of the problem that both Jonny and Gator are confused, as am I.  It's a "bummer" that you no longer have dizzyness or lightheadedness?

Huh

I think a little clarification on that statement might help.

I can't speak to the Verapamil dosage because I've never used it.  But, I can speak to the oxygen levels.  7 lpm is very low, and, based on many posts and feedback, is just about useless to quickly abort a hit.  Most of us who do use o2 have regulators that go to at least 15 lpm, and we all can abort a hit within minutes.  Check in to getting another regulator with your doc.  If he/she balks, they can be bought on e-bay very cheaply.

Sandy

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So far no dizzyness or lightheadedness.  So thats a bummer, .

Huh??
IP Logged
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile that black toothed grin

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 1:01pm »

on Apr 19th, 2008, 9:33am, chewy wrote:

Huh??

maybe they enjoyed the buzz?
IP Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss