Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 4:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is this a Cluster Headache? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is this a Cluster Headache?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this a Cluster Headache?  (Read 1332 times)
Chi08
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is this a Cluster Headache?
« on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi - quick introduction, I am 25 and female, and to make matters complicated I have started getting migraines (often with blurry vision preceding it, or just blurry vision for a few minutes and no headache) this past year.  Now I think I have developed cluster headaches.

This morning I woke up and when I put in my contacts my right eye felt very irritated.  I took out the contact but it was the same.  This same feeling of eye irritation happened a month or two ago but in the separate eye and not as bad.  I put it back in because I couldn't find my glasses and all day the irritation continued, along with a red eye and a drooped eyelid (which also happened to a lesser extent a month or two ago and I didn't have time to research).  My nose has been running, on the right side.  I googled and seem to have the classic symptoms of cluster headache.

Except, the headache that developed this morning (after the eye symptoms started) has been with me on and off all day and is now fairly constant, but it is pretty dull, not the horrible headache I have been reading about.

To complicate things worse, I also had one of my aura-type blurry vision episodes that happened in the middle of the day today for 15 mins... it's been a while since I had one.

At home I found my glasses and took out my contacts, which actually made the eye irritation worse.

I have googled extensively  and while I seem to have a cluster headache, the "headache" part doesn't seem to be as severe.  The eye problems are actually worse for me.

Thanks for any input!
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Is this a Cluster Headache?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:18pm »

Welcome to this site-

Look to the left of this screen and take the cluster quiz to help you determine if you may have cluster headaches.  You may want to revisit your doctor to discuss this with him as that is the only place an official diagnosis could come from-

It is hard to tell from what you describe whether you may have CH,- but i will tell you ch are very very painful and my pain is not dull pain but very sharp intense stabbing pain that lasts for 30-45 minutes on average if I didn't use an abortive.  My eye does tear, nose doesn't run much ( but many folks indicate that their nose runs)  can't lay down, I'm holding my head, pacing, sometimes crying - pain in my neck, inside of nose, my temple and brow line- Absolutely the most intense pain I have felt!!  

Good luck to you
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:19pm »

My eyes aren't "irritated" as you describe. When I'm having an attack, it feels like my eye is being squeezed out of my head. It is definitely not a "dull" pain. Your description of the pain does not sound like CH to me.  

Here is what an attack "looks" like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAf_QFmTPkw

But no one here can diagnose you. I recommend you see your neurologist. Some of the other symptoms sound like CH, but they could be coincidence - hard to tell. CH is often misdiagnosed, when someone already has another type of headache, I imagine it becomes more complicated.

Good luck to you
~Kris

IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:40pm »

hopefully you are one of the fortunate ones who do not have it.  It does not sound like CH entirely.  The on and off all day thing could possibly be shadows that we get.  At this point i am not even sure if a neuologist would be able to diagnose it as CH.  You may have too wait and see but I would see if a Neuro anyway as it could be anything
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:49pm »

The visual symptoms you describe sound like they might be occular migraine. Try Googling occular migraine and see if it fits.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 3:44am »

Cant hurt to get your eyes thoroughly checked out for general eye health as well as vision.  Before i was diagnosed, I thought the headaches had to be an eye problem.  I got a thorough exam, but my eye health was fine.
I would schedule the eye appt and schedule the neuro appt asap.
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 5:16pm »

Thank god it doesn't sound like a cluster headache to me.  Brewcrew might be onto something.  As others have said see your doctor ASAP.

Best of luck to you,

John
IP Logged
Peaches
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 5:17am »

Best to see a neurologist and eye physician as well just to be sure.

My cluster episodes do begin with eye irritation and profusely running sinus on one side.  

One way to define a cluster headache as opposed to a migrane is this: A cluster "headache" isn't in your forehead or temples at all as the familiar headach is.  For almost everyone the pains are one only one side of the face, the pain primarily occurs in the cheek/face, behind the eye, sometimes into the inner ear, down the side of the neck etc.  
If you read the posts on this fantastic site you'll see all  of the possible symptoms posted.

Hope you don't have CH migranes are enough to deal with.
IP Logged

OUCH !
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 10:05pm »

It doesn't sound like cluster headache--cluster headaches have a distinct beginning and end to the headache--yes there can be "hangovers" and "shadows"--but there are "episodes" of headache which don't seem to be a part of your symptons.  And I thank God for that for you.  Star
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss