Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Day 5..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Day 5.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Day 5.....  (Read 646 times)
jjslugdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance all night!

Email

Day 5.....
« on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, today was day 5 of the first episode I've had in 2-1/2 years.  Had my first daytime ha today @ 10am.  That's normal.  Doing my job during ha's is killer.  I'm scheduled, have to be there, and try to act normal.  Geeezzzz.  And, it's almost always with physicians.  I'm a Registered Nurse and do worker's comp case management.  So, when the client has an appointment, I have to be there.  Sucks big time when I'm dancin'.  Oh well, least I'm vertical and breathing still.
IP Logged

Timeslowing, forever, exquisite pain is like the Marine Corps. The few, the proud, the brave.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Day 5.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:47pm »

We all hear you.    Are you able to slug down an energy drink just prior to having an appointment/ meeting?  

It would seem like you in a unique position to educate a few where you work.    

In case you don't know...those energy drinks have a lot of caffeine in them(vasoconstrictor) and the Taurine gives it a boost.  A lot of us here swear by them to abort a "hit"

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:59pm »

Working during CH is the worst-  I understand the 'having to be there' thing- I worked throughout this whole 7 week cycle and have had some really tough days -  it is hard for me to remember how i got though those first couple of weeks-  the exhaustion, the stress and anxiety of dealing with the CH is enough and compound that with the stress of work- receipe for disaster-  So hang in there-  

I started being able to cope with I got on the right meds for me- sleeping thru the night,  less worry about when I'd get hit now just at the point of being prepared 'in case' I get  a cluster.  

What prevents and abortives are you using to help you cope?  Linda mentioned red bull.  Red bull helped me tremendously if I had strong shadows or two cups of strong black coffee at first sign of HA could many times delay HA - I kept red bull at work and of course there is always an endless supply of coffee at work.  I also used imitrex in the beginning to abort at work - When imitrex ran out, my doc gave me Frova which is long lasting could get me through whole day .   I've also used zomig nasals at work - quick abortive  - ( none of these mixed together though-  Hang in there

Kelly
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2008, 9:01pm by mezza » IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 10:28pm »

JJ,

Sorry the beast has come calling again.  Getting whacked at work is a bummer at best no matter the profession, but it can be workable with proper prior planning and a little understanding on the part of others.

As a professional care giver I would think the cardinal rule of do no harm would apply.  You've got to help yourself first in order to be well enough to care for others.  None of us are capable of rational thinking in the throws of a high Kip-level attack that requires the tarantella or a mini square dance.

If you're in a clinic or hospital environment, there should be plenty of oxygen available at sufficient flow rates to abort any attack if started early enough.  If you're in an office environment, an oxygen cylinder in the car or office, and imitrex nasal spray or SC injection in your purse should bring relief in 15 minutes or less.  

If you were diabetic and felt out of whack, you would surely take time out of a meeting to check blood sugar levels and adjust as appropriate.  Although not a potentially fatal disorder, an acute cluster headache attack is really no different in that respect when it comes to the need for immediate medical intervention.

Now down to the details...  what oxygen flow rate are you using to abort your cluster headache attacks.

Take care and hang in there...

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss