Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 8:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Auction Items and Door Prizes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Dallas 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Auction Items and Door Prizes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auction Items and Door Prizes  (Read 20651 times)
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

Re: Auction Items and Door Prizes
« Reply #175 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 8th, 2005, 4:10pm, Margi wrote:
thanks for answering my questions, Bill.  

I think, in the early days, Barb was able to find state compliance regulations as they related to setting up a non-profit orgs either from the books in her office (she's an accountant) or from the internet.  Might be worth investigating.

I know it's not my business as to whether OUCH uses a lawyers' services or not, I just have an allergy to their charges (sorry to any lawyers in the audience).  Guess I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer.  Just my opinion and certainly not a slam.  

I too have a allergy to paying lawyer fees, and much prefer the "do it myself" approach. That being said, with all that needs to be done, and being kinda short handed and time limited it was felt professional services might be the best road to take for this one task.

A personal example, my hobby is racing. I can take a car apart and put it back together again. I don't like for anyone to work on my cars but me. BUT, when my wife's Jeep lost it's starter 2 weeks ago, I took it somewhere to be repaired. I just didn't have the time to get it done quickly. Pained me to do that, but it beat her walking for 3 days until I could fix it.  Wink

I hope that helps....

Bill
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2005, 4:26pm by Racer1_NC » IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Leesa
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #176 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 4:19pm »

Margi, yea its a strange spelling of my name but my parents wanted "unicque and different" well they got it hun. LOL I just dont think they bargined on this "unique and different. LMAO
Leesa  Grin
IP Logged

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Smiley
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #177 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 4:53pm »

The "Corporate Book" is just a compiliation of minutes, call to meetings, convention minutes, BOD minutes. I think they are in the archives (on Bob's CD) somewhere and Mel kept minutes and posted them (in compliance with every fed and state law I know of), so this shouldn't be that hard to put together (just some time involved).  

On another nfp corp I'm dealing with, my attorney e-mailed me a set of "generic" state and fed compliance bylaws he pulled off his "lawyer" website. It took a couple of hours to fix them to suit the corp.  

I think Bob P and I have about memorized Pub 525 of the IRS code. We "researched" Chapter stuff and had it pretty well worked out and the paperwork done back about June of last year. I don't think each chapter needs to be incorporated or hire legal counsel. Just follow guidelines for chapters set out by National and file the necessary paperwork with National and the IRS. Texas doesn't require any paperwork from the chapters.  

We've filed the paperwork with Austin to change the registered agent (it's Steve now). All paperwork from the state should be going to him as well as all corporate records.  

Tax returns have been filed and there should be a copy of all of them in the Treasurer's box. Except for the last set of bylaws that the board adopted, as far as I know all other paperwork was sent in to the IRS for approval.  

I agree that the bylaws are not what OUCH needs, but they were done without benefit of counsel and I don't think they were what the board actually voted on, but....

The videos and the disclaimer, I agree needs an attorney's input.  

The only other thing is that several people have asked for a financial accounting and have been told that they'll get one when and if the BOD sees fit. That is NOT in compliance. (Pub 525). It says that anyone asking shall be furnished a copy of what's asked for within a reasonable time (approx 10 days according to the IRS).  

Thanks Bill for answering some questions. I really think that's all the members are asking for -- someone to answer questions.  

BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #178 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:19pm »

It's no problem if CalOUCH needs to incorporate.  A quick search turned up a free guide/kit for incorporation in CA.  Has the articles of incorporation (fill in the blanks kind of stuff), bylaws, even a cover letter, fees and where to mail them.  Looks like it could be done in a couple of hours.

The only real BoD meeting (that didn't take place on the business board) was during lunch at the Atlanta Convention.  There were some minutes from that meeting.  I'll see if I have a copy.

Barb did all the footwork for the Group Exemption Letter for the chapters.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #179 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:21pm »

That is certainly you Barb, always going beyond expectations without having to be asked to for people.   Wink  

some assets never depreciate   Smiley

Kevin M  

IP Logged
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

« Reply #180 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:23pm »

on Apr 7th, 2005, 10:20am, Margi wrote:

Treasurer:
d) Chair the Budget Committee and prepare and present an annual budget.
and the budget is posted.....where?

2001 Form 990

2003 Form 990

not much there, but it's a start for those who want answers and aren't getting any....

and now back to LizzieLurking....

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2005, 6:41pm by alienspacebabe » IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #181 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:27pm »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 5:23pm, Alien Space Babe wrote:

not much there, but it's a start for those who want answers and aren't getting any....

and now back to LizzieLurking....

Enlightening information Lizzie, thank you.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2005, 6:58pm by Redd » IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #182 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:30pm »

Question?  Where did this come from and why is it on that site? Looks like someone took out 990 and posted the figures. ?????

Sorry, am I missing something?

BD
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #183 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:34pm »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 5:30pm, BarbaraD wrote:
Question?  Where did this come from and why is it on that site? Looks like someone took out 990 and posted the figures. ?????

Sorry, am I missing something?

BD

Because OUCH is a public Non Profit, the information was gleaned from the 990's that it has filed.  Being a public entity there is nothing stopping the publication of this information by third party sources.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #184 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 5:41pm »

Barb, Liz and Bill - please check your PM's.  I just found out something VERY disturbing about this software.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #185 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:17pm »

I guess my question would be WHY would a third party WANT to publish OUR stuff. HEck it's not even posted on the OUCH site - why would we need to go look somewhere else? And the information can be changed by ANYONE from what I saw on that site. I guess I'm just missing the point.  

BD
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #186 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:37pm »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 7:17pm, BarbaraD wrote:
I guess my question would be WHY would a third party WANT to publish OUR stuff. HEck it's not even posted on the OUCH site - why would we need to go look somewhere else? And the information can be changed by ANYONE from what I saw on that site. I guess I'm just missing the point.  

BD

Barb....

I investigated the ability to change the posted information as soon as I got word. Unless I missed something it can be changed, but by only one person. Once the EIN is assign to a specific user, no one else can change anything linked to that EIN.  

As to that website's purpose this was copied directly from the "about us" page....
Quote:
About GuideStar and Philanthropic Research, Inc.
"Revolutionizing philanthropy and nonprofit practice with information."  

Since 1994, we've focused on facilitating access to information about the operations and finances of nonprofit organizations. Our vision is to create an interactive "marketplace of information" that connects nonprofit organizations, donors, foundations, and businesses. This connection will serve as the backbone of a more effective, efficient, and well-informed nonprofit sector.

Today, we are proud to say that more than 400,000 users per month come to www.guidestar.org seeking information about the nonprofit sector that is unavailable anywhere else. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, users around the globe depend on us for information on charitable organizations based in the United States. During the past decade, GuideStar has become the primary on-line public research library for the entire nonprofit sector.  

In 2000 GuideStar began serving individuals and institutions with products and services beyond the information we offer through our publicly available Web site. These licenses and subscriptions enable nonprofits and others serving the sector to use our research and technical expertise to help them do their jobs faster and more easily. This year we introduced two new services, Grant Explorer and Salary Search. These subscription services help their users research grants and benchmark salaries-two important activities for most nonprofits.  

GuideStar information and services have become important ingredients for the philanthropy-related work of an ever-expanding audience. We are determined to fulfill our mission of "revolutionizing philanthropy" by continuing to gather and distribute nonprofit data from one central place.  

Our success in expanding the breadth and depth of this data, however, is not a task we have accomplished, or can continue to do, alone. We are grateful for the support of our funders, who believe in our work and share our vision. Their continued support will allow us to transform this vision further into a reality that benefits the entire sector. We continue to be invigorated by the enthusiasm of our users, who rely on both our publicly available services and our products to make well-informed giving and business decisions every day. We also thank our colleagues in the sector for their commitment as they continue to embrace the concepts of accountability and transparency each time they share information about their business practices and good works.

Together we can truly "revolutionize philanthropy."

I hope that clears up this situation....

Bill
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #187 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:39pm »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 5:19pm, Bob P wrote:

The only real BoD meeting (that didn't take place on the business board) was during lunch at the Atlanta Convention.  There were some minutes from that meeting.  I'll see if I have a copy.

Thanks Bob..... please let me know what you find concerning that. Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

Bill
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #188 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:44pm »

If I may make a suggestion......it might be better to continue any further discussions from this thread on the "General"  Forum here at CH.com or on OUCH's website as this thread has changed topic several times during it's life.  

Bill
IP Logged

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #189 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 11:54am »

on Apr 8th, 2005, 7:44pm, Racer1_NC wrote:
If I may make a suggestion......it might be better to continue any further discussions from this thread on the "General"  Forum here at CH.com or on OUCH's website as this thread has changed topic several times during it's life.  

Bill

Good idea.  This thread gives me mental pictures of a starving beast eating it's own guts out because of the hunger pains.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
don

Email

« Reply #190 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 12:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How quaint.

Psycho.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #191 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 8:51am »

on Apr 10th, 2005, 12:43pm, don wrote:

Psycho.

Yes and your point would be...........?
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
don

Email

« Reply #192 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Yes and your point would be...........?

The ussual.

I dont have one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss