Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just Found Out!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just Found Out!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just Found Out!!  (Read 663 times)
mobmom
New Board Newbie

Just got them..32 female

Email

Just Found Out!!
« on: Sep 29th, 2003, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went to the doctor last week due to having these painful headaches off and on for about 4 months. They were getting worse so I decided it was time to see what was up with my head. The headaches were so painful that at times I wish I could've just opened my skull and pull out the part that hurt. I would cry from the pain! I am having them on the left side and about 50% of the time I experience the droopy eye. Water coming from the left eye. I thought it was stress or tension, but nope...I have CH!! My doctor did the usual first. CT scan and neurological tests. Waiting to get CT results Thursday, but in the meantime he did give me meds. He had me try Imitrex, but that didn't do a thing for me. So now I am taking Fioricet tablets every 4 hours as needed. To be honest they seem to be working. I do however get those shadow headaches still once and a while. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone! Glad to see that there are other people out here that can relate to this madness. Just wish we all didn't have to suffer so much.

IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: Just Found Out!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 3:46pm »

Dear mobmom, you probably don't want to be here, but if you have clusters, this is the place to go.

Have you taken the clusterquiz, under the buttons on the left of the screen?

Have you read all the information that's here?  
You may have noticed, then, that  pain killers are not highly regarded here, as to effectiveness, and Fioricet is a painkiller, am I right?

If it's clusters you are having, I would say they were in (temporary) remission rather than that the  pain killers were working... Often cluster episodes end with a lot of shadowing.

So don't count too much on the fioricet next time around.
Ask your doctor about Verapamil, the accepted preventative. Ask about Oxygen (read about it too). It is easy to keep in the house, just in case a new episode blossoms.

Any questions you can't find in the archives or under the buttons, just ask.  

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 3:49pm »

Ave gave you some great info.  So I'll just add my  

Welcome to the board
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you were to take no abortive meds how long would your pain last?
IP Logged
mobmom
New Board Newbie

Just got them..32 female

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 4:13pm »

Lots of things to answer... Thanks for taking the time to ask me. I have taken the quiz and it did show that I was a typical cluster head! AS for the meds I am on. I believe the doctor only placed me on them for in the meantime. I will find out Thursday. I don't like taking pills anyway. Never was good at that. If shadowing is that piercing pulsing that you get after a major pain then that's me. I hate when that happens and it happens all too often. They start off minor and then tip the scales as far as I am concerned. I have always been told that I have a high pain tolerence, but this is just impossible! Even though I am taking the Fioricet I still can feel the pressure building up in my head! Whatever that means.  And to Don.. I was getting them four to six times a day. Almost at the same time of the day and they would last anywhere from 10 to 25  minutes.  I am new at these headaches so thanks for being so kind. Also when I was having a spell it would always effect my left ear for some reason. Hurt like heck too!
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 5:17pm »

Sorry to hear your plight mobmom...hope things get better for you....great site, a wealth of information....and a family who understand...hang in there...

PF vibes from across the pond...

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

goaway
New Board Veteran
USA 

"Things take longer than they do."

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 5:25pm »

WELCOME HOME mobmom !!!!

We're always here!
IP Logged

"If you get robbed by worry,.....it was an 'inside' job."

"...runnin' with the shadow...runnin' with the shadow..."

"We don't rent pigs."
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 5:28pm »

10-25 minutes in duration?  I would give Indomethican a try and make sure it isn't CPH.

Except for duration, all the other symptoms are the same as CH.  Stay away from the narcs.  Fioricet is for minor pain relief anyway...

From RxList.com:

Fioricet® (Butalbital, Acetaminophen, and Caffeine Tablets) is indicated for the relief of the symptom complex of tension (or muscle contraction) headache.

You did not describe a typical tension HA.  What type of trex did you try?  Injection, pill, NS?  There is quite a difference.  Anyway, injections kick ass...about 10 mins or so till PF, but if you are only having them for 10-25 minutes anyway..........

IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 6:22pm »

Welcome to the madhouse. Mine too lasted about 20 minutes. Clusters just seem to drain out of your head when  they go....at least that was my case. They always wake one out of a sound sleep. No one can sit still.  

Here are two helpful links:  

The first is to a description of this disorder that does a wonderful job explaining to families, friends and employers what cluster headaches are and that they have little to do with what is thought of as a “headache.” The second is to a technique learned from a neurologist that works well for me and others.  

http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm

http://www.netsync.net/users/charlies/

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 6:45pm »

Everybody is different...

Mine last for 20 minutes to 2-3 hours, depending on a lot of factors.  If I'm really lucky, they are usually at the 20 minute end of the scale, but an INTENSE 20 minutes.  I think I age 20 days in that 20 minutes.  If I am not lucky, they go on and on.  The worst was 3 hours of CH, not migraine.  I know because I have both and there is no mistaking one for the other.

-Fu
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 7:07pm »

Welcome Mobmom............... We could use a MOB mom we are quite a MOB................ good luck and let us know how you are... and the results when you get them.  Til then hope you are pain free.................ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 7:18pm »

Welcome to Clustervile Mobmom Sorry you're here, but you've come to the right place.

Cafagot works for me, but I couldn't take the triptans. Excedrin ES works sometimes with a cup of coffee (the caffine in it I think) and O2. Something works sometimes and NOTHING works sometimes -  it's just a crap shoot at best. Sorry that doesn't sound encouraging, but it's the way it is. We keep trying to find something that works and rejoice when we do.  

My preventative is Topamax, but others have bad side effects with it.  

Hopefully you'll be pain free soon, but stick around and be PREPARED for the next time - hopefully a long time away.

Hugs  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

UnsolvedEquation

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 7:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome to the home of clusterheads !  
I see you've already got some good replies and a pretty descent welcome.
My question is" Are you sure you have CH? " The reason I ask is because for most of us here (Prolly 99% of us) wouldn't get any relief from Fioricet. That would be like giving me an aspirin for an apputated leg. Sorry for the lousy anology
Unsolved
Glad your here but sorry you had to come too !
IP Logged
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 8:06pm »

Welcome mobmom.

Maybe you could print out some of the dope from here (and links) and bring it with you Thursday.

Educate your Doctor.?  Just in case.

Steve G
IP Logged
Chia
New Board Newbie

Hang in There!

Chiapet110
Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 8:22pm »

Hi  Mobmom....We just found out last week that my husband has CH also.....Charlie has suffered for 4 years on & off and never knew it had a name...He always thought it was allergies and was well mis diagnosed...Now thru the help of this site and the wonderful support that everyone has given us we are rowing our way to knowledge...so like they told me & Charlie...Grab an OAR & Hang in There  Undecided
IP Logged

"The Trouble with Life is there is no backgound Music.....So Make some Music before its too Late!"
mobmom
New Board Newbie

Just got them..32 female

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 8:34pm »

Thank you so much for all of the support!! you guys are awesome. I have been reading up on all the info here and theres lots of it. If I am having CH I believe I am at the very beginning stages of them. Can't sleep sometimes and wake up with them at times too. It's impossible. I am thankful that you all have so much knowledge about this but also feel bad that you all are suffering from them or have someone you care about that suffers from them.  
UnsolvedEquation...My doc thought I was having Migranes but Imitrex never did a thing for me, Excedrin never did either. My inlaw wants me to go to the chiropractor, but after reading on here that seems to not do much either.  AS fasrt as the ing. in Fioricet, I knew ahead of time what was in them. I am pretty good at looking that stuff up. If it is going in my body I want to know what it is. They do not  make me pain free, yet just seem to lessen it a bit. Had a bad one last night and today. Thought I was going to beat my head in. What I want to know is that if these are not CH then what the heck are they! Every where on here that I go it sounds just like me when people describe them, just sometimes mine are not as intense. Thanks again!! Hugs
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 10:01pm »

The only reason I mentioned Indomethacin is because CPH is sometimes misdiagnosed, and that is an easy way to find out.  I, for one, would HATE to be chasing the miracle cure based on a misdiagnosis.  Just clarifying...I was in no way trying to diagnose.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 10:19pm »

From my mob to yer mobmom 'welcome' !!!! Am sure you'll learn alot of helpful stuff on here.......good luck to you and PF days ahead !! Pam that's a mob full
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 29th, 2003, 11:54pm »

Hi Mobmom and welcome.  Wish you weren't here! Cheesy

Ave gave you some good advice, and Don's question was right on the mark.  Twenty-five years ago when I fist came down with CH my Dr put me on Fiorinol3 after trying several other narcotics.  Fiorinol3 seemed to work for me if I used it to break a cycle by taking enough to knock me out, but as an everyday use it was worthless.  By the time it gets into your system the HA is basically over unless you have one that lasts for more than an hour.  The Fioricet is probably helping with the discomfort that sometimes follows an attack, but in my experience will do nothing for the CH itself.  All that I found the narcs did was to create a dependency and to cause HAs when I tried to quit taking them.  Please don't take this as criticism, as it is not.  We are only trying to help based on where we have already been, and trust me you don't want to go there!

Keep reading, and remember, IT WILL END!

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
mobmom
New Board Newbie

Just got them..32 female

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 1:43am »

SmileyThanks everyone! I agree Callico_Kid, I am afraid that the narcs will cause a dependency. hopefully with the CT scan and tons of blood work the doc had me to do last week he will be able to give me more insight on my problem. I have not been to a neurologist as of yet. Maybe my internal Med. doc will send me to one if needed. Has exercise helped anyone here? I was curious if Cardio has helped. I have a glider that I can use, but I didn't want to jump aboard it again if it will increase the madness.  The type of Trix I tried was the tablet form. Chris, Thanks for all of your input. I totally appreciate you for every bit of info you can give me. I hope I didn't make you think I was making you out to be someone that was trying to diagnose my HA. Hugs!!! Smiley
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 2:38am »

Mobmom, a you can see in the archives, Trex tablets do very few people any good.

Since your attacks are relatively short, Trex tabs are too slow and only start to attack when the enemy is gone!

Vera takes some time to build up, but works for many.
and please do look into O2.

I hope for you that you have something easy to remedy, but seeing that you have your attacks like clockwork...  

Hang in there.  
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
badfly
New Board Veteran
New_Zealand 

No matter where you are, thats where you're at!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 5:12am »

Welcome mobmom

All good advice so far Smiley One thing about the Trex is that in tablet form it usually takes around 25 to 40 min to get into your system and work. I would advise DEMANDING a sample of Imitrex injection and try it out. The injection should provide relief in 5 to 10 minutes. Dont write off the Trex just yet, try the injection!
IP Logged

for (int i=0;i<infinity;i++)
{Shout("Get this BEAST off my back !!!");}
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 5:47am »

Weclome Mobmom,
Sorry that you had to type clusterheadaches into the search engine, but since you did welcome to your new homeand family.

Turts

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
mobmom
New Board Newbie

Just got them..32 female

Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 3:01pm »

Thanks for all the wonderful information and welcomes. Hope everyone has been having a pain free day so far. I have had two episodes myself. Seems like the meds the doc has me on so far are beginning to not be as effective anymore. Hmmm. Wonder what he'll say on Thursday?? Till then.. Have a good one. Smiley
IP Logged
goaway
New Board Veteran
USA 

"Things take longer than they do."

« Reply #24 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 8:26pm »

on Sep 29th, 2003, 6:22pm, Charlie wrote:
Welcome to the madhouse.

Who's mad Charlie?  I love you guys.
Oh............
I see your point. Cheesy
IP Logged

"If you get robbed by worry,.....it was an 'inside' job."

"...runnin' with the shadow...runnin' with the shadow..."

"We don't rent pigs."
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss