Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 12:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What did you learn from 2007 ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   What did you learn from 2007 ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What did you learn from 2007 ?  (Read 1873 times)
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

What did you learn from 2007 ?
« on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

10 things I learnt through last year  Grin

1- You can choose your friends but you cant choose your family. Partner(s) become family so choose them carefully while they are still friends !  Undecided

2- What humans cant do, God always can.  Kiss

3- Even if you dont believe in yourself, your dog does !  heart

4- Feel good emotions, think good thoughts and do good deeds and everything good will come to you ........ eventually!   Cool

5- Spend as much time as possible with positive people.   Smiley

6- Do not accept BS from anyone including the bull himself !  Lips Sealed

7- Everyone needs a pat on the back every now and then but most of us need a swift kick up the backside even more often   Tongue  

8- Laugh a lot , love a lot , spend a little but work like mad and life will be grand !   Grin  

9- What works for someone else often wont work for you  Sad

10- Dont relearn lessons that you have already been taught, especially those hard ones  Roll Eyes

HAVE A GREAT  2008 everyone . Love ya all !  
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:34am by Annette » IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Sean_C

Email

Re: What did you learn from 2007 ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

11.   The only thing that stands between a person and what they want from life, is often merely the will to try it, and the faith to believe they can do it.  

— Richard M. DeVos

IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:25am »

Things I've learned this past year?

1. Patience.  I think that some troubling situations will resolve themselves without the need for me to "do something".  I'm trying to learn to trust in the good intentions and good sense of the people who are important to me.  "Doing something" is a reflexive act, and not a reflective one.    

2. Tolerance.  It's easy to bolster my beliefs, but harder to question them.  It seems inevitable that our beliefs tend to harden as we grow older, but that is not acceptable.  That which is old and valued is not always valuable--that which is new is not always valueless and suspect.

3. Understanding.  Knowing the "how" of things is often more profound and more useful than knowing the "why".

These aren't really things that are specific to the past year, though--they are things that I'm endeavoring to learn, and I hope to continue to get a bit better at them as time goes on.  With luck, by the time I'm three or four hundred years old, I'll be pretty fair at them. Wink

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:50am »

I've learned that while we cannot choose our extended family (the family from whence we came), we can choose our immediate family, and we continue to choose them each and every day.

I not only chose to ask Pat to be my bride, I continue to choose her every day. And best as I can tell, she continues to choose me.

We not only chose to become parents, we continue to try to show this amazing young man how to be a caring, compassionate human being by our example.

We have chosen to be members of this great family at ch.com, and we hope that this family will continue to choose us (we haven't gone the way of CHTom yet!).

Choosing your family every hour of every day has made all the difference in the world for me. I can't choose where I came from, but I can choose where I'm going.

And I choose for it to be with you.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:03am »

I choose all of you right back! Pat Bill and Roy and all of the rest of our family here too  Smiley

I've learned that miracles do happen - every single day.

I've learned no matter how bad stuff is - it will eventually be history.

I've learned I can keep going. Most of all when I think I can't.

I've learned not to click on Jonny's links until someone else has first.  Wink

I've learned to never lend a boat to Chewy.

I've learned where JeffB lives and I'm going to kick that little bugger's arse if he doesn't show it here soon!

I've learned what it is to be loved

You know what? 2007 was a BRILLIANT year!  Grin

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:13am »

I am still alive and mentally/physically stonger than I thought.

tired though and looking forward to a better year
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:37am »

1. What is wrong with my head (aside from the obvious mental deficiencies)
2. That this world is not quite as jaded as I once thought it was
3. That there are people out there that do understand and share in my pain
4. That family is not simply defined by relations through blood and marriage
5. The humbling power of reaching out to another human being you will likely never meet

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
minime
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:21am »

I have learnt (and it sounds like I am not alone) that blood relatives are the least important family members you will have.  Spouses are the most important family you will ever have.  I'm ashamed it took me 30 years to learn that.
IP Logged
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:29am »

Farting relieves the pressure! Grin

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:35am »

I've learned that what man means for evil God can, and does, use for good.

I've learned that there are magnificient people right here whose wisdom, support and sharing have blessed my life.

I've learned that it is possible for a child to swallow a dime and not poop it out for 2 days...I've also learned that 2 days in the digestive tract really takes the shine off a dime Grin

I've  learned that I have friends who help no matter what.

I've learned that my husband is absolutely incredible!

Happy 2008 y'all.
Praying it is pain free and prosperous for all y'all Grin
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:46am »

Quote:
I've learned that it is possible for a child to swallow a dime and not poop it out for 2 days...I've also learned that 2 days in the digestive tract really takes the shine off a dime

I'll bet you could have gone all year without THAT learning curve.   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:56am »

1. I've learned never to underestimate the power of stupidity of thin attractive inlaws with degrees. Roll Eyes

2. I've learned that being generous with finances does not necessarily mean that it'll come back to us. Sad

3. I've learned that family is not a term to describe who you're related to, but rather it describes who you relate to.

4. I've learned that children are the window in which we see all the answers to the universe. Smiley

5. I've learned that no matter how much you want to hock your family jewels, you'll still need money down the road again and those treasures are then gone.

6. I've learned that a person can actually cry off and on everyday for a week straight. Embarassed

7. I've learned that mass public education is overrated.

8. I've learned that those who've passed are never gone, they are always there for you if you call on them.

Hope 2008 is better for everyone here.
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:38pm »

What did I learn from 2007.... oh boy.  Well I learned 2008 will be a much better year.

I learned my 2 teens are people too - they have sorrows, grief, and difficulties the same as an adult but they don't have the skills or faculties to deal with them.  

I've learned that by giving constant unconditional love to all my children - biological and otherwise (long story) that they seem to do ok.  So I will keep on loving them, no matter what.  

I learned that the Sarpy county justice system has it in for teens and will go well out of their way to make examples of them even if they have no legal grounds to stand on.

I've learned that the kids that need help are tossed aside while the agencies focus on kids from good homes who hit a bump in the road.

I've learned that there is no place on the planet that can send miracles like ch.com.  Everyone of you hear that has sent prayers, vibes and positive energy has made an incalculable difference in the lives of so many more than just I.

2 very special ladies told me to go ahead and just take what I need in strength so that I can recover and begin to give back the strength I've always given.  I can't thank them enough, they know who they are.

I've learned that life often gets you caught up in the day to day routines and ruts, and it takes a little effort and encouragement to stand outside the box and look at the whole picture.

While Karma is a bitch, it has been good to me, my life is perfect - a wonderful husband, 3 beautiful children.  There are things I would love to see different - bills paid etc.  but I KNOW the grass is not greener ANYWHERE else.  And for that I am eternally grateful.

Ch.com and the family here have been an integral part of my life even if I don't post much.  I think about you all very often.  When life hands me lemons and my head is active, I tend to lay low and hide.  I don't want to bring others down with my whining so I just sort of fade away until things get better.  So I have'nt forgotten any of you, and I loveyou all just much now as I did in the beginning.  

2008 will bring much good fortune to our family at home and here, and I will be working on staying in touch with my closest friends on a far more regular basis.  

This list is by no means all inclusive, but there are a few I need to make special mention of - without them I don't know that I would have survived 2007:
Jackie,  
Bill (NC_Racer)
Mast
Jean (TxBassLady)
DJ & Steph
Randy (Mr. Happy)
Donna D
Roxy
Elaine
Chuck
Svenn
Helen (LeLimey)
Peg (Redd)

Please do not be offended if you name is not on the list, because so many of you helped, but those are the ones who stick out in my mind the most right now.  All of you have had an impact one way or another - whether with legal advice or home school advice.

None of you are forgotten.

May 2008 bring all of you the peace, love, joy and prosperity that your heart and soul desires.

Much Love

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:00pm »

I've learned that public high school is NOT the be all to end all and that even though peolpe say "they gotta go to school" there are better things out there.

I learned that my child has been stifled by school for several years and I had no idea.

I'm learning that there is a wonderful future out there for my kid and am thrilled and thoroughly enjoying seeing the light and brightness and discoveries in his eyes every day that I've missed since he was 5 years old.  I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing what he's going to do and what he can do!  I'm looking forward to 2008, it's going to be a GREAT year!!

Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:49pm »

1. Stop and look at the flowers, clouds, or nature around you every day.   It is far to easy to forget that we are just a small part of this big amazing world that is around us.  

2. To say I love you at least 5 times a day to the man or woman in your life, and to make sure that you make them stop and look into your eyes when you say it.  

3. To take the time to have me time (by myself), mommy time (the kids and me without Shaun), family time (us all together) and Grown up Time (just me and Shaun).  I Never did this when we where in Vegas, and there where parts of me that I thought has withered up and died.  Very nice to feel like a complete person again.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 4:15pm »

I learned how to install a dvd player in only 29 days........other than that, outside this little family; people still stink

Sweet Old Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 5:43pm »

I discovered that putting Crown Royal in a freezer produces a very smooth shot.  After 5 or 6 it tends to grab one by the ass and make you shit stupid.

Damn I love Crown.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 5:51pm »

I've a note pinned to my shirt.  I'm being put back into 2007 and have to repeat the year.  Wasn't paying attention screwing around.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 6:27pm »

Ive learned to be thankful for what you have.

I learned it from this dude! Grin

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8d_1199309160
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Groov
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

!Privet! !OLA! !wassup! PARABELLUM

orangemod260500  

« Reply #19 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:26pm »

Heres a nice piece of wisdom, didn't learn in just  07...but:

Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your nose  Grin

Words to live by if you work around heavy machinery.....or have a questionable lifestyle  Grin
IP Logged

PARABELLUM

I do look like my avatar...But I swear to God I am not a bag of aqua colored french fries

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others!!
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:50pm »

What did I learn from 2007.... oh boy.  Well I learned 2008 will be a much better year.

I learned my 2 teens are people too - they have sorrows, grief, and difficulties the same as an adult but they don't have the skills or faculties to deal with them.  

I've learned that by giving constant unconditional love to all my children - biological and otherwise (long story) that they seem to do ok.  So I will keep on loving them, no matter what.  

I learned that the Sarpy county justice system has it in for teens and will go well out of their way to make examples of them even if they have no legal grounds to stand on.

I've learned that the kids that need help are tossed aside while the agencies focus on kids from good homes who hit a bump in the road.

I've learned that there is no place on the planet that can send miracles like ch.com.  Everyone of you hear that has sent prayers, vibes and positive energy has made an incalculable difference in the lives of so many more than just I.

2 very special ladies told me to go ahead and just take what I need in strength so that I can recover and begin to give back the strength I've always given.  I can't thank them enough, they know who they are.

I've learned that life often gets you caught up in the day to day routines and ruts, and it takes a little effort and encouragement to stand outside the box and look at the whole picture.

While Karma is a bitch, it has been good to me, my life is perfect - a wonderful husband, 3 beautiful children.  There are things I would love to see different - bills paid etc.  but I KNOW the grass is not greener ANYWHERE else.  And for that I am eternally grateful.

Ch.com and the family here have been an integral part of my life even if I don't post much.  I think about you all very often.  When life hands me lemons and my head is active, I tend to lay low and hide.  I don't want to bring others down with my whining so I just sort of fade away until things get better.  So I have'nt forgotten any of you, and I loveyou all just much now as I did in the beginning.  

2008 will bring much good fortune to our family at home and here, and I will be working on staying in touch with my closest friends on a far more regular basis.  

This list is by no means all inclusive, but there are a few I need to make special mention of - without them I don't know that I would have survived 2007:
Jackie,  
Bill (NC_Racer)
Mast
Jean (TxBassLady)
DJ & Steph
Randy (Mr. Happy)
Donna D
Roxy
Elaine
Chuck
Svenn
Helen (LeLimey)
Peg (Redd)

Please do not be offended if you name is not on the list, because so many of you helped, but those are the ones who stick out in my mind the most right now.  All of you have had an impact one way or another - whether with legal advice or home school advice.

None of you are forgotten.

May 2008 bring all of you the peace, love, joy and prosperity that your heart and soul desires.

Much Love

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:55pm »

Is there an echo in here? Grin
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:01pm »

I think the most important thing I learned this year was that you can't use broken tools to fix a broken cart.

It only took me 44 years to learn that. 'Bout damn time, huh?  Wink
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:02pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:55pm, brewcrew wrote:
Is there an echo in here? Grin

Yep, and its not our regular Echo....LOL Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:11pm »

This wasn't a lesson learned, more like knowledge reinforced: Even after a close examination.....things, situations, and people are not always what they appear to be.  

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss