Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Treatments to get rid of Lice? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Treatments to get rid of Lice?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Treatments to get rid of Lice?  (Read 1854 times)
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Treatments to get rid of Lice?
« on: May 2nd, 2008, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok for the 2nd week in a row, my daughter has come home from school with Lice.  

Last Thursday , we completely cleaned out her and her brothers room and sanitized everything, it took 3 days, to wash all the toys and clothes.  

The bitch part about it is that I called the school last Friday I called the school to let them know, so that they could inform parents so that everyone would get check ed and treated.  They informed me that it is a district policy that they do not notify anyone regarding Lice. This blows me away, because the kids all hang their jackets and stuff up together. so if someone has it on their jacket it will just jump from jacket to jacket.  And now she has it again.   Angry

Of course my husband jumps off the deep end and tells me that he wants the kids pulled out of this school and transfered. They only have 6 weeks left in the school year.  I tis not like it will make that much of a difference if they go to a different school if it is a district policy.  

Any idea on a way to treat this?
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

Re: Treatments to get rid of Lice?
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2008, 4:13pm »

Smiley, put a notice up at school, suggesting a date for all children to be fumigated ?  andrew.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2008, 4:14pm »

This is a difficult problem and a very common one.  In order to solve this, we went through multiple treatments using the "premethin" shampoos (pet shampoos for fleas have it too and are cheaper).

We had to get metal lice combs, the plastic ones don't last and we weekly check the kids.

Our youngest child had to get his hair cut to 1/4" all around to finally cure him.

By the way, the washer doesn't kill the lice and nits, the dryer does.

You can bag things like stuffed toys in trash bags for 10 days to two weeks, and the lice and nits will die with a lack of meals.

I hope that something in here is new and helpful.  Bottom line, they're a royal pain in the butt and take a lot of work to eradicate.

Wishing you all well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2008, 4:17pm »

Gosh! I hate those things..I remember when I was in elementary, one girl had them really bad and she had her hair waist long, her Mom got tired of trying to clean her up and she cut her hair to the chin  Sad...My Granma checked us out and she did not find any but still she put petroleum in our hair and cover it for 2 hours to kill whatever she missed  Shocked..I am still amazed she did not kill us  Huh....

last year my neighbor was watching the baby of the school bus driver and she was a cute baby with shiny black hair, One time I asked my neighbor if I could hold her (I love babies you know  Wink) when I hold her I saw something moving in her head and I inmediately give her back to her  Shocked and told her: you better check her and all of you for lice because she has little bugs crawling there...my gosh poor little one, she probably got it from the kids in the school bus  Sad...needlesss to say, I checked my daughter and made John check me too..

Clean your daughter again Tia, and all your family, that is all you can do...schools not longer make Lice infestation public because the stigma that brings to the children but they should send notification to all parents about the problem without pointing fingers...
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008, 4:19pm by Rosybabe » IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2008, 4:17pm »

on May 2nd, 2008, 4:14pm, Ray wrote:
This is a difficult problem and a very common one.  In order to solve this, we went through multiple treatments using the "premethin" shampoos (pet shampoos for fleas have it too and are cheaper).

We had to get metal lice combs, the plastic ones don't last and we weekly check the kids.

Our youngest child had to get his hair cut to 1/4" all around to finally cure him.

By the way, the washer doesn't kill the lice and nits, the dryer does.

You can bag things like stuffed toys in trash bags for 10 days to two weeks, and the lice and nits will die with a lack of meals.

I hope that something in here is new and helpful.  Bottom line, they're a royal pain in the butt and take a lot of work to eradicate.

Wishing you all well,

Ray

Did not think about the Pet Shampoo. My daughter hair is down to her ass.  I really dont want to cut her hair. My 6 yr old, well we cut his hair short just so he did not get it with them in the same room.  

For the stuffed animals we sprayed them all with lysol then threw them in the dryer for an hour.  

Thanks guys.  

IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2008, 4:34pm »

Until school is done (although I would argue some more about that stupid policy) Put everyone in the house to bed with veggie oil soaked onto their heads (works the same as mayo but easier to use a comb on, it smothers the bugs) We used a shower cap for the night, safer than plasic wrap on a kid.  Then in the am use that fun fun comb.  And then rinse with vinegar.  Shampoo after to rid the smell.

This is what we did when my sister's daughter brought home lice.  She tried everything to get rid of it.  And we resorted to that treament.  We shaved the boys heads, and the rest of us girls did the oil treatment too.  No one else got lice.

I would keep the stuffed animals and such bagged until you are for sure all is safe.

I feel sorry for ya'll, lice is one big HUGE hassle!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:02pm »

One of the gals here said that vinegar was good to get eh eggs out of the hair because if strips the glue or whatever it is that makes them stick to the hair.  

Thanks everyone.  

Vegas has one of the worse school district in the nation, but they always would notify me if there was an outbreak of Lice. They would never say who, just a note sent home that there was an outbreak.  

It drives me nuts because no matter how we treat her, she could just get it again on Monday if someone in her class has it.  

Fricking fun.  As it is I will have to cut about 6 inches off her hair because the lice shampoo fried the ends so bad last time.
IP Logged

Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:35pm »

http://www.parents.com/big-kids/health/other-health-issues/dr-alan-green e-on-head-lice/

http://www.parents.com/toddlers/health-and-safety/other-health-issues/he ad-lice-faqs/

hope that helps a little....
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:43pm »

Tea tree oil /shampoo is supposed to repel them (as a preventative) if that helps. It's a piggin' problem everywhere and I hate parents who don't deal with it with a passion! It got so bad when my daughter was at school that I was checking them every evening with a nit comb the minute they came in from school. It used to bug me rigid.  
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Yorky
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

learn to meditate (or just sit & do nowt)

« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:52pm »

had the same problem with my kids, over the years  Sad

its a pain in the ars....(especially with casey, shes got thick curly ringlets ..try putting a metal comb through that)
anyway these are what we have tried, over the years

1.lyclear        rating   5 out of 10

2.nice and clear      rat  3 1/2 out of 10

3.electric comb   got tangled in casey s hair  Angry

4.HEDRIN   absaloutly killed the lot of them  Wink

so thats my recomendation  Smiley  

there is no smell......no combing......just repeat 8 days later (when any eggs may have hatched)

pftuall  

the official ch. com nit expert  Smiley
IP Logged

today is a gift.....thats why it is called the

present.
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 2nd, 2008, 6:32pm »

You can always call the local news, or the newspaper, and let them know. Nothing like a little publicity. You wouldn't have to be too specific, or name your kids, just let them know there's a problem.

Good Luck! I remember when I was a kid, and some people would get their hair cut short, or wear stockings on their heads. They'd send home notices, but we were lucky, none of us ever got them.
IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What, it's all in my head?

« Reply #11 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:18pm »

on May 2nd, 2008, 5:52pm, Yorky wrote:
had the same problem with my kids, over the years  Sad

its a pain in the ars....(especially with casey, shes got thick curly ringlets ..try putting a metal comb through that)
anyway these are what we have tried, over the years

1.lyclear                       rating   5 out of 10

2.nice and clear           rat       3 1/2 out of 10

3.electric comb             got tangled in casey s hair  Angry

4.HEDRIN                  absaloutly killed the lot of them  Wink

so thats my recomendation  Smiley  

there is no smell......no combing......just repeat 8 days later (when any eggs may have hatched)

pftuall  

the official ch. com nit expert  Smiley

Yorks, are nitpicking about reamidies? Grin

-P.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/pjl98
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:33pm »

Rid lice shampoo. Then the tediousness of the combout. Keep at it though.

Then 10 days later, another shampoo and combout.  

Toast the critters in the dryer from pillows, stuffed animals, etc, then to be safe, I still bagged em for 2 weeks. Ok, so Im paranoid.

If your daughter's hair is really long, may I suggest keeping it either pinned up or braided? Keeps stray hairs from being targets for frisky and jumping bugs  Sad
Sorry you're dealing with it Tia. I had 3 kids to deal with

Jen
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:34pm »

Went throught his at our school. After THREE go arounds....turns out the culprit was the crossing guard helmets they all shared!!!!

As my favorite pediatric nurse always said...a child without lice....is a child without friends!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Becky
New Board Junior
Great_Britain 

Welcome to my world   Now go home!!!

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 2nd, 2008, 7:58pm »

Hannah came home with them 4 times in one term! I brought a comb called "Nitty Gritty" it really works, the prongs of the comb have a metal spiral running down them which pulls out the eggs aswell. The school nurse told me to use loads of conditoner as this makes the hair softer and harder for the lice to hang on.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #15 on: May 2nd, 2008, 8:01pm »

on May 2nd, 2008, 7:33pm, PollyPocket wrote:

If your daughter's hair is really long, may I suggest keeping it either pinned up or braided? Keeps stray hairs from being targets for frisky and jumping bugs  Sad
Sorry you're dealing with it Tia. I had 3 kids to deal with

Jen

Cameron was happy to get an ARMY cut, Says he is hunky now.  
 Wink

Shara is fighting with me about braiding her hair. She wants to wear it down and loose but does not take care of it.  

Thanks everyone.  time to go home and work on hair. Smiley
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #16 on: May 5th, 2008, 12:28pm »

Hi Tia,

I just saw this.  We've fought with lice twice over the years.  Most recently was this past fall.  My poor daughter Molly picked them up from a classmate.

By the time we had them taken care of she ended up with shorter hair and weekly treatments with tea-tree oil that continue today.  Lice hate this stuff and won't go near her now.  It has a heavy scent but it's better than lice.

To get rid of them  

1. Shampoo with RID
2. Comb repeatedly to get rid of lice and nit (eggs)
3. Repeat combing for 5 days (poor Molly's head was sore)
4. 10 days later repeat steps 1-3

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #17 on: May 5th, 2008, 5:27pm »

IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #18 on: May 5th, 2008, 6:56pm »

Well I found out when I got home Friday that my hubby told the principle what he really thought of their policy about not telling parents.  

The cops came to the house because she felt that "something" was going to happen to Shara.  The cops walked in to see her sitting in a chair in the bathroom with my husband working that lice comb thru her hair and apologized for interrupting him.  

He only comment to me was "When did God Damn become a cuss word?"

Thanks everyone.  She is clear so far.  We will be redoing it tomorrow. and see if that will keep it off.
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: May 5th, 2008, 9:00pm »

Dear Tiannia:

The principal sounds like the old contradiction in terms:

Hello we're from the [municipal] government and we're here to help you!

Sheesh.  I wonder if the police will persue the principal for filing a false police report.

Wishing you and yours well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: May 5th, 2008, 9:11pm »

Quote:
As my favorite pediatric nurse always said...a child without lice....is a child without friends!  

Guiseppi

Hoping no one decides to put that down under their avatar like your fathers words of wisdom.  

Every time there was an outbreak in all of my kids schools, they sent home a note warning the parents.  Now they don't ???   THAT is BS !!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #21 on: May 5th, 2008, 11:03pm »

I am sure glad I don't work in a school with those policies! We have made some preventitive policies in our schools, like no more tumbling. Little heads go down on the mats and the next head picks them up. Coats in bags and not sharing combs (duh!)are two others. When we have a case, the nurse calls everyone in that grade level down and checks the heads one at a time. The name is not ever brought up. The student can't return without some kind of proof like a receipt from a lice removal product. If a child is back over and over and over again social services is called.  It's a pain!

Charlotte
IP Logged
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

« Reply #22 on: May 6th, 2008, 12:10am »

My daughter found that blow drying the kids hair every morning (as hot as they would tolerate) helped keep them gone after the Rid treatment.
IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #23 on: May 6th, 2008, 7:49am »

on May 2nd, 2008, 6:32pm, purpleydog wrote:
You can always call the local news, or the newspaper, and let them know. Nothing like a little publicity. You wouldn't have to be too specific, or name your kids, just let them know there's a problem.

I'd start with the school board (with the PRESS at the meeting) - let them CHANGE the damn policy! IF the other parents are as upset as you are - SOMETHING can be done about this problem and should be done.  

Heck, when I was a kid we got checked for "kooties" periodically whether we had them or not - at school and at home. I'm not sure castor oil didn't get rid of them - mom used it for everything else that ailed us. Smiley

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: May 8th, 2008, 6:40am »

Are the lice staying gone?  What did you end up trying?

IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss