Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « First Lice.... Now Mono   »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   First Lice.... Now Mono  
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First Lice.... Now Mono    (Read 595 times)
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

First Lice.... Now Mono  
« on: May 15th, 2008, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ROFL.  

So we got the head lice under control with my daughter.  After the school told me that she is the only person in the entire school that had lice, because no one else has reported it.  "Gee, do ya think if you told parents to check their kids hair, then you might hear about other cases?"

Anyway. Last week life is good. Hubby got a new job, I'm finally hitting my 6 months here at the Univ and will get off Probation.  

Tuesday night, I get home and give my kids a hug. Shara is burning to the touch. I take her temp 103.4.  Give her Tylenol, make her drink anything a ton of juice and water.  At 9 her temp is 101.2, I gave her Advil and in the morning her temp is normal. She goes to school, rinse and repeat.  Same thing happens last night. Only the Tylenol does not help and her temp was still rising, the Advil started dropping it.  

I made Shaun take her to the doc today.  He just called.  Minimum she has full blown strep.  But her spleen is swollen and her stomach hurts to the touch. (Of course she does not tell mom and Dad those details).  So they think that she has Mono.  They took blood work and we should know tomorrow.  I'm not calling the school until I get those results.  

So....  Except to keeping physical activity down, control the fever, and lots of fluids. Is there anything else that helps, if it is in fact Mono?
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: First Lice.... Now Mono  
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2008, 9:11pm »

Hey Tia,
Mono is one of those things where lot's of rest is good for it. It wears you down, and can last for awhile. A friend had it, and she fought it for 6 weeks. When does school let out?
IP Logged

debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2008, 9:56pm »

rest, rest, rest...............i had mono @ 18 with hepatitus A, so that was double dose!!! very contagious if it is mono!!!! also, that damn Epstein Virus, thus Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,  lays dormant and may pop up @ any time, as it did with me a few years ago!!!!  How old is she? She's not jaundice is she?
hope she feels beta!
deb
IP Logged
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2008, 6:56am »

When it rains it pours! My son had a similar situation when he was 13. All the testing showed that he was negative to mono but he might as well had it. He was very lethargic for about a month and wasn't allowed to particiapte in PE becuase of the possibility of the spleen being hit and ruptured. So even if her results come back neg. , you may not be out of the woods. I hope she's back and up on her feet soon! Time and rest is all that will make it go away.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:35am »

It's highly contagious through spit.  AKA the kissing disease.  My mom had me my own set of eating and drinking things kept in bags jic, so no.

And yup lots of rest, no climbing any trees or rough play cause there is a risk of ruptured spleen if she were to hit here stomach hard enough.  That's rare though so don't freak out, but just beware.

As for your good news, congrats!  So glad to hear the work front for hubby and you are sounding so good!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2008, 9:25am »

Sorry to hear about your little pumpkin. Embarassed   I do in home child care and one of my little guys had Mono last spring.  His liver was affected.  He actually got over it pretty quickly though.  He did, however, seem to catch EVERYTHING for a while after though.  

I hope she has a quick recovery.  BTW, No one else in my house or in the little boy's house came down with it.  

Take care,
Jeannie
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008, 9:29am by Jean » IP Logged
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2008, 10:53am »

All three of my kids had mono.  My son was the first to get it (his Sr. Yr in High School) and as soon as he got over that he got Pneumonia.  He was the kid that was never sick.  The girls had milder cases, but it still were pretty wiped out by it.  

Not much to do for it except rest, lots of fluids and tylenol for fever, aches and pains.  

Get well soon Shara!!

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2008, 11:35am »

Shara just turned 11.  They took blood yesterday but the doctor called me last night and said they might have to do the test again.  She said that since Shara was showing symptoms for less then 5 days it can be neg and still have it. So they want me to bring her back in on Monday.  

They also said that if it is Mono, she probably has been contagious for the last month + so if we where going to get it, it is most likely in our systems already.  

The not rough housing is tough because of our 5 yr old.  We are his favorite jungle gym.  But Shaun has been great about taking him outside and playing basketball r whatever to help get some of that energy out. Shara wanted to play last night, so she took a couple of baskets, but would not let her get into the middle of it.  

Deb, I told Shaun that she looked jaundice last night.  Not bad where it is in the eyes and such, but just a odd shade to her skin.  

Me, work is going great.  At some point I might even start m y Masters since I get a discount of the tuition. Health wise got a new doc.  He is trying to get me off all my meds. And I am fighting with him about my imitrex, because she does not want to fill it.  So we will have a discussion about it again on Tuesday when I see him.  

This is defiantly keeping me on my toes.  
 Wink

Love and Light everyone. I know that I dont seem to be able to get on the site much, but you are never out of my thoughts.  

PF Blessing
Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2008, 8:40pm »

Hey Tee... its Ree again... not that I have experiences for every thread here... I guess just yours...  
When Breezy was 9 she had what me and Dave usually call U S Unknown Sickness... same as your cherub she had a temp no real symptoms except a slight sore throat (not even strepp) but, all of her glands were so swollen you could see them as lumps on her neck.  Fear swept through my mind.  I thought for sure she had lukemia or something... they ran some blood and the doc calls me to tell me she had MONO... brought on by Epstein Bar virus...  

All you really can do is keep her from strenuous excersize... because her spleen is enlarged when she has Mono.  She can still go to school as long as she doesnt have a temp.  Make her rest and get 8 hours sleep and drink a lot of juices and water so as not to get dehydrated...  

Good luck you sure haven't been having fun lately...  
I'm thinking about you and sending prayer into the wind for your little one.
love ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss