Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newcomer asking for advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newcomer asking for advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newcomer asking for advice  (Read 729 times)
Dino87
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Newcomer asking for advice
« on: Feb 11th, 2008, 6:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello my Name is Kostas,
Last year i had been getting these headaches 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of hours and thought nothing of it because i was going through a stressfull time. However recently i have been getting the same headaches and it is near enough exactly a year after my previous ones. If i remember correctly they last for about 2 months. Now i was a little bit concerned and researched the internet to identify if i maybe have a brain tumour. The symptoms for a brain tumour though did not identify the symptoms which i am having which is a pain in one side of my brain and tears from one eye with a lot of redness in this particular eye. I searched the internet today if this identifies with any theories of any specific headaches and read all about clusters and saw that this is what i might have. I am asking for your advice because i am terrified of doctors whether i am in the right place. As i mentioned the headaches recently are twice a day, a half hour after I wake up and in the evening and the pain is unbareable. Please can you maybe advise me to any medication or any suggestions on how to improve or control the headache.

Thank you for your responses in advance.

Kostas
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Newcomer asking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:58am »

Look on the left side of this page and hit the "OUCH" button. Then search for a link to the UK chapter and establish yourself with that group.  

They can help you with your health system; suggest treatments, etc.

Primarily--until you can get some control on your fear of doctors you will be undercutting your well being. A good diagnosis is essential before you starting playing around with treatments. IF you have cluster, then the best medications will need a prescription, in any case. You need the doc.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 10:34am »

What Bob said! There are some awesome treatments available for CH, if it turns out that's what you have, but most of them do require both a prescription, and a doctor to monitor your progress on them. Also, start keeping a headache diary, when they start, how long they last, how fast they build etc., with headache diagnosis, the answer is in the details.  

For now, try keeping some energy drinks on hand, Monster, Rock Star, any that contain the combination of caffeine and taurine. Try drinking one down, as fast as you can, at the onset of a headache. Many can reduce/halt a head ache that way.  

Good luck to you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:45pm »

Ditto to the above Dino.  You MUST see a doctor for a proper diagnosis (though they sound like clusters to me).  Treatments are available that will make your life during a cycle much more bearable.

Keep the headache diary to take with you to the doctor.  Note the time of day the HA starts and how long it lasts.  Note the intensity of the pain - use the kip scale in the article to the left. Make a note of what you try to ease the pain and whether or not it helps.

Your diary will help getting a diagnosis, even if you're not in a cycle.  I'm sorry you're having so much pain.  Read all you can here - it's the best start to what you're dealing with.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:22am »

sounds familiar to me i too thought i had a brain tumer,
but your symtoms sounds like clusters,  
lots of advise here, read read and read some more,
wot works for me is lots of Coffee and try getting some 02, hot showers work for some or even try exersizing
some get relief by taking the beast for a bike ride,
just dont bother with over the counter pain killers, like paracetamol, they dont do shit
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
coach_bill
New Board Veteran
USA 

gimmie my imitrex!!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 9:25pm »

yep, sounds just like clusters, thats how most of them start for me, at night then progress to daytime attacks as well. melatonin has worked for me at night to slow down the nite hits. read everything you can. and if your doc does come up with cluster headaches,  remember to be prepared, when my cycle ended i tried real hard to forget the 2 months from hell, and i did for about 2 years, just long enough for all the meds i had to expire so when they came back, i was unprepared and back to square one. as your begining to find out they come back no matter what, so no matter how hard it is try to stick to a schedule with sleeping and get some 02 as soon as you can.  also it is time where you need to be your own best friend, meaning you need to devote 100% effort on you!! if you can focas as much time to yourself as you can the anwsers will come quickier hang in there. coach bill
IP Logged

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:20am »

same here as what everyone else is saying.  See a neuro, get some meds and good luck.  The half hour after you wake up is very common for me as well.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:01pm »

Ditto to all the above!

And make sure you start your ha journal today.

Take the "cluster quiz" (link on left) and let us know how you do.

Do you consume alcohol?  If so, STOP! . . . alcohol in any form is a major trigger for most of us when in cycle.  For me, alcohol, exhaust fumes, some chemical odors are triggers.

We do hope it's not clusters, but if it is . . .  you've just found your new home on the internet.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss