Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 12:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 775 times)
sogna
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello
« on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,

I haven't been officially diagnosed yet with CH but some of the symptoms you've describe give me the shivers! Shocked  

The first time it happened for me, a little over a year ago, I was at work. Out of the blue, my left eye began to throb and felt like it was going to burn out of the socket. The left nostril drained like crazy and my upper left jaw ached.  After the first hour I felt like my head would explode.  No meds helped.  I held my head and paced like a caged animal.  It lasted about 3 hrs. and left as quickly as it came.  After it passed, I was literally exhausted and my skull even felt numb and tingly.  

I have really bad sinus/allergy problems, so I thought that was the trouble; until I got another doozer the next day at the same time of day, same symptoms....I was miserable!

The headaches come on randomly but I have them for at least 1-3 days, then they go away for a while.   I think they're triggered by a lack of sleep or after some major stress period.  My latest episode was Sunday... Cry

I'm so glad I found you guys.  I'll keep wading through the forum for more pointers and info, and get myself into the doctor.  Enough is enough!  

Sorry for my ramblings!
Sonia
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:53pm »

Hi Sonia,

Welcome.  Your symptoms sound like clusters.  But I'm no doctor Wink  Take the cluster quiz linked on the left panel.  Then find a Doctor who will refer you to a Neurologist.  You need a firm diagnosis.  

The meds we take for CH can do more harm that good sometimes.  There are many headache types and you want to make sure you're barking up the right tree.

Start keeping a headache diary.  You'll want to record frequency, intensity, what you did to cope/medicate, how long it lasted and any other info you feel helps describe what's going on.

I truly hope you don't have CH.  But if you do, you've found the right place.

Let us know how we can help...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:54pm »

Dear Sogna:

I'm sorry you're suffering, but glad that you found us.  There is a huge amount of information here.  Feel free to ask us questions and read, read, read!

Wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
sogna
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 3:05pm »

Thanks!  I'll go take that quiz.... Smiley
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 6:52pm »

There is much to read here.  I like to suggest to newcomers that the more you know about this condition the better off you will be in talking to Dr.s  We need to be our best advocate where CH is concerned because:

1. Dr.s only get 5 hours of training in medical school on HEADACHES.  ALL types of headaches.  Because of that many are reluctant to treat women for CH and insist it is a Migraine, or prescribe oxygen, and I could go on and on with examples similar to this.

2.  If we are totally informed, then we can speak with confidence about our condition and save a lot of pain,  time and money on things that aren't necessary.  I can't tell you how many folks here had teeth pulled(healthy teeth) because of mis-information.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 7:21pm »

on Feb 13th, 2008, 6:52pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

I can't tell you how many folks here had teeth pulled(healthy teeth) because of mis-information.

very true, went through a root canal, then had it repeated, had the tooth pulled, treated for a dry socket then finally after a year or so diagnosed with CH, even though we specifically asked early on if this could be it and was referred back to the dentist
IP Logged
sogna
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 1:20pm »

on Feb 13th, 2008, 6:52pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

There is much to read here.  I like to suggest to newcomers that the more you know about this condition the better off you will be in talking to Dr.s  We need to be our best advocate where CH is concerned because:

1. Dr.s only get 5 hours of training in medical school on HEADACHES.  ALL types of headaches.  Because of that many are reluctant to treat women for CH and insist it is a Migraine, or prescribe oxygen, and I could go on and on with examples similar to this.

2.  If we are totally informed, then we can speak with confidence about our condition and save a lot of pain,  time and money on things that aren't necessary.  I can't tell you how many folks here had teeth pulled(healthy teeth) because of mis-information.

Thanks for the info Linda.  Wow, 5 hrs on headaches.....that's disturbing. I'm definitely going to do my homework before seeing my GP.  You're right, there's so much to read up on.  I started my diary as of yesterday (I had another headache yesterday late afternoon... Sad)   That's kinda scary when they want to start pulling teeth! Shocked

Btw: I recommended this site to a co-worker who has CH too.  Hopefull she'll join in.  Wink

Sonia
IP Logged
LarryM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 12:55am »

Sorry to hear about your pain. Went through three years of supposed sinus problems, doctor always blamed me for not finishing my course of antibiotics or not taking the accompying medications to dry my sinus's. Finally I asked him to a culture - which came back negative, oh idi he squirm. Had to be me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss