Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 6:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Please allow me to introduce myself :) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Please allow me to introduce myself :)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please allow me to introduce myself :)  (Read 373 times)
Peaches
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Please allow me to introduce myself :)
« on: Feb 13th, 2008, 6:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there, nice to meet all of you.
Today I'm feeling like a million bucks, thank you very much.

While I'm new here to this board and newly diagnosed as having cluster headaches, suffering long bouts with this ailment is NOT new to me.  
During other bouts which ran from several weeks to several months I was sent to many drs. and for many tests but never to a neurologist.  
This time around I decided to send MYSELF to the very best ENT I know rather of than the one , my family dr. sent me to (and he's a miserable cuss at that). My own wonderful, kind, caring and brilliant guy sent me directly to an equally wonderful, kind caring and brilliant neurologist and she had me diagnosed in short order.  

I'd used so many ice chips to help my middle of the night episodes that I swear I was getting freezer burn! They helped enough that it was worth it. Holding my breath rather like you'd do to clear your ears at high altitude helped a bit too but well, you all know........
The regular prescribed pain medication stuff simply did not work for me, not at all.  
Then there was that thought in my mind (of which there are very few most of the time), that said why am I taking this uber strong stuff whose effect lasts 4 hours or more for pains that last 20 min to an hour X2or 3?  

So here I am today feeling all fuzzy and good after getting 3 good nights sleep in a row! The neuro. put me on Depakote and so far it's working or at least I think it is.  
Never can be sure about these things = is it just that the headache/killer pain cycle is over after 3 months or is it the medication ?  
Can you tell the difference?  

After reading everyone else's experiences it was good to know that yep, that was my experience too. I know just how you feel/felt.  

Great site, great information and thanks for sharing.

Peaches
IP Logged

OUCH !
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself :)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 6:42am »

Hi Peaches,

Welcome to your 2nd home  Cheesy  

It is an amazing feeling when your realize that you aren't alone.  That there are other people out there that suffer the same as you do.  There is strength in shared experience and that is what this site is all about.

Most folks use a two pronged approach to managing these things.  You want an abortive strategy that shortens the attacks and a preventative strategy the keeps them at bay, or as close to that as possible.

For me, 100% Oxygen at a 15lpm flow rate with a non-rebreather mask can kill a visit from the beast in 10-15 minutes.  I do get reattacks so I usually back that up with an energy drink - anything on sale that has 1000mg of Taurine in it.  You're gonna hear a lot about O2!

For a preventative, well I'm still searching for something that will work.  

Here are a couple of documents that describe the latest in treatment approach.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf
http://www.efns.org/files/guideline_49.pdf

I hope this info is helpful in setting up your strategy for your next cycle.  Welcome to the nut house.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 10:03am »

What Dennis said!!! So glad you found us, it's a great feeling to know you aren't as crazy as you were starting to think you were! Another very strong vote for oxygen here, I can abort an attack, that is be completely pain free, in less then 10 minutes, often as short as 6 minutes. You'll hear that a lot on this forum.

My preventative medication is lithium at 1200 mg a day. Been very effective for many years now, I'm episodic like you, I get cycles of headaches then months/years with nothing. Others on the board are chronic, they don;t get the remissions we get. Undecided

Check out the Dallas get together we have coming up. Hanging out with 50 or so CH'ers, meeting them and their families is an incredible experience. Welcome home!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Peaches
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 11:42am »

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's appreciated.

Actually I'm grinning from ear to ear because, while it may have been my imagination, some of the drs. I've seen about this issue over the years actually seemed to have a look of dread seeing me in their office AGAIN. - The whole "it's probably a sinus infection" and "here's an Rx for some antibiotics" thing didn't work for me. It' NOT a sinus infection and I do NOT want antibiotics, it's something else and needs to be treated some other way.  

Funny how things like that work, isn't it.  

Well anyway, thanks again for making me feel welcome and like I'm in a good place.  

A gathering? How fun! Probably won't be able to participate in that but I wish I could. But maybe...
Can I bring my little dogs?  

Besides having the CH thing which is painful for me,  I've recently become an obnoxious small dog owner person which is probably quite painful to those around me.  

IP Logged

OUCH !
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:21pm »

Welcome Peaches:

Glad to have you aboard!

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 10:45pm »

Hope your still doing better
Welcome  
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss