Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 5:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Traveling to high altitude »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Traveling to high altitude
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Traveling to high altitude  (Read 386 times)
valleyboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Traveling to high altitude
« on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello anyone and everyone, I am 49 and have had CH for 35 years. Usually twice a day for 5 weeks with Feb. and July being popular. Imitrex injections do it for me but I get the chest pain after a week or two but the alternative is no better. My last two remissions were 2 1/2 years (hurray!). But now the bastard is back and I have a vacation planned (of course). Does anyone know if going from sea level to high altitude, and plane travel for that matter, do anything to intensify or increase occurance? Thanks and "Long Live the Remissions!"
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Traveling to high altitude
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:03pm »

Dear Valleyboy:

Like almost everything with this condition, nothing is a sure thing with everyone.  I know that I've had CH on flights, my sister too.  I'd plan to bring your abortives with you, just in case.

With best regards,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 10:17am »

When I have a short trip planned, 7-10 days, I'm in cycle and geting hit regularly, I will try and talk my doc into a 14 day prednisone taper. For me, at doses as low as 30-40 mg a day, I can get complete relief. Not something you want to stay on for any period of time as the side effects of long term use are harsh.

For a short break it's something that's worked well for me.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:17am »

i always feel that my CH are wheather related you may get some relief if your going to higher altitude,
not much advise but its somthing to feel possitive about,
thats the trick be prepared and stay possitive.
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 12:28pm »

I've never noticed any issues strictly related to altitude.  However air travel itself always nails me. Usually within an hour or two of landing.  About three hours before my scheduled landing time I take a long acting Frovatriptan (Frova).  It can keep the beast at bay for half a day or more.  Another long lasting triptan is Naratriptan (Amerge).  

The side effects with these triptans aren't as strong as with Imitrex.  The also work much slower and aren't good for aborting an HA.  They can buy you a break from a scheduled visit from the beast though.

Have you tried O2 yet?  It is my main abortive combined with energy drinks.  Using O2 has reduced my triptan consumption to once a week on average throughout a cycle.  

You should be able to work something out with your insurance company and the hotel you're staying at to have O2 available while you are there.

Other than that, just make sure you bring plenty of Imitrex with you.

Good luck and don't let the beast ruin your fun.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Loric
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 5:10am »

A word of caution about the plane and the injectable: if you have to excuse yourself to the "lounge" to inject (I did so once from LA to Tampa) be aware that contents under pressure expand and yadda yadda - so you'll have a bruise once you land. A bruise is better then the alternative.

Also, notice some folks are worried about carrying the statdose: put it in your carryon, no one will even ask to see it or even care, i've never even had to remove my statdoses and declare them. Just leave it in the box that clearly labels it as medication in your backpack or computer case for easy access.  I've been everywhere with several of mine like that, no over zealous security person has said a peep (and they've nearly tackled me for leaving my cell phone on in my computer bag!) and that includes having my bags searched manually at London Gatwick and my stuff thoroughly gone through piece by piece when I went through customs.
IP Logged
Loric
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 5:15am »

Also - absolute dumbest thing i've EVER done was make use a free drink voucher i got with my frequent flyer reward flight recently (sometimes you just forget you're -different-) .  

You probably know how your cycle effects you, but i was in denial of really being back into a cycle and thought i had just gotten a random headache the day before - so i had the drink, i really regretted it.  

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008, 5:16am by Loric » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss