Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 9:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Greetings from cold, cold Minnesota »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Greetings from cold, cold Minnesota
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Greetings from cold, cold Minnesota  (Read 341 times)
schlags
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Greetings from cold, cold Minnesota
« on: Feb 14th, 2008, 9:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to anyone who might read this.  I'm amazed that there are so many with stories similar to mine, and relieved to see that I'm not alone, even though these desolate Minnesota winters might lead me to believe otherwise!!  In my frenzied search for information right after I was diagnosed, I somehow missed this site; all I can say is THANK YOU!!!  I have learned more in the last week of lurking on this site than I have in all of the last five years.  I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow with my neurologist and go in armed with information about Imitrex.  And from now on, even though my only caffeine comes from the single cup of coffee I allow myself in the morning, Red Bull is going to be stocked in the fridge both at home and at work!!

I'm 42 years old, and have been a business ed teacher in a small town for 18 years.  I am the varsity volleyball coach, and I also direct the school play. I grew up a mere 18 miles from where I live now.  It's ironic that I left college with dreams of taking on the world as far away as I could get from the little hole I grew up in, yet ended up settling in so close to home.  Regardless, no regrets.  I really love my colleagues and the kids at the school, and have a great family and lifelong friends who I can stay close with.[img][/img]

I've been enduring CH for going on five years now.  If memory serves, I've been offically diagnosed for a little over two of them.  The three years I wasn't, I went through pretty much the same emotional ride as everyone who hasn't yet come to realize the beast....I was sure I was dying of a brain tumor, I was going insane, I was convinced I was living wrong, was sure it was my diet...the whole gamut.  

My attacks for the last 5 years start in late December and hang around until the end of March; I'm smack in the middle of my yearly cycle, big ones that start daily at between 2:07 and 2:15 and hang around for about 45 minutes.  (Of course, this usually corresponds with changing class periods, which is the absolute worst time to be in the teacher's lounge sucking on oxygen!!)    Right now I'm getting one or two nightly ones which are way more sporadic, and not quite as severe, most often between 12 and 1 and/or between 3 and 4.  Oxygen is helpful but not abortive during my afternoon hit, and seems to knock down the night ones if I wake up in time.  I'm also feeling the shadows most of the time after the afternoon ones until I go to bed.  This year is the first time that the beast has been so regular, and I'm thankful for that because I can try to at least slow them down before they happen, but the tradeoff is that all of my CH have been hitting without any real warning like they used to. In the good old days, I had the buzzy face and eye that felt like a basset hound, which was pretty easy to knock down.  As I'm writing this, I made it through last night with nothing, and the 2:15 train didn't arrive today, which is the first time in over a month that I didn't get hit.  WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!

I want to close this by again thanking everyone who shares their stories, ideas and opinions on here.  It was extremely helpful to share mine.  Long ago I quite trying to explain what I go through with the beast to anyone who has never endured CH; so I really enjoy that even through my ramblings, I have an audience who understands what I mean![email][/email]
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Greetings from cold, cold Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 7:47am »

Given the timing of your attacks, this med offers a better response than oxygen, i.e., a pill which aborts an attack in 10-20min and you don't have to leave the classroom. Your doc can give you some samples and with 1-2 doses you will know whether it works for you.
------------
Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
schlags
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 7:59am »

Thanks Bob...more info for my neurologist when I see him!  Does anyone know how profound the sleepiness can be, if at all??

p.s.  two nights in a row without a visit from the beast!!  Life is good!!
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 12:00pm »

I can only recall one or two people, here, who mentioned sleepiness as too much for them. After several years, my personal experience was no impact--especailly at the small dose recommended and that we are taking one dose vs. the multiple dosing used in the primary applications (in psychiatry).

If you have not printed out this article, do so and use it as a tool to discuss options with your doc.
----------

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 12:18pm »

Bob's already given you oodles of great info. I'll just say welcome to the board, I'm so glad you found us. Venting to people who actually understand what you're going through is a great feeling.

If you haven't already done so, read the oxygen link to the left here. Correct useage can substantially increase its benefits! Hope the cycle winds down soon for you.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
imfareware
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Hello  Everyone!!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 2:25pm »

Hello and welcome!!  I just finished my cycle, so hang in there!!  I know what it means to get that first night of uninterrupted sleep, its great!!  

Have you tried Melatonin about 1 - 2 hours before bed?  They helped me through my cycle (with plenty of O2).

Best wishes!!
IP Logged

Pain is temporary, Love is Permanent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss