Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just Figured It Out »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just Figured It Out
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just Figured It Out  (Read 831 times)
Pain_Go_Away
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Just Figured It Out
« on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello to all, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk.  
I was just surfing the web trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my head, and I stumbled upon this site. Relief is on the way!
My headaches usually occur in the mornings, anywhere between 7am - 10am. What a hassle it is to get my son to school and get myself to work. The Florida sun doesn't help either. My doctor is blaming it on the use of my contacts (sleeping with them and so on). But I do believe the issue stems further than that.  Nonetheless I am on a mission to get rid or subdue these headaches. As I read some of the posts here I can tell my conditions aren't as  bad as some others. But they have there moments. It's good that I found a place to talk about it...
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Just Figured It Out
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:47am »

Welcome to the board, I hope we can help. You do want to get a solid diagnosis on these things. There are hundreds of headache types, the meds that are helpful for some can be harmful for others! And you want to make sure there is nothing more sinister going on in your head!

With that being said, for now try slamming down an energy drink at the first sign of an attack. Mosnter, Rock Star, any that contain the combination of caffeine and taurine, many can abort an attack this way.  Avoid alcohol, when I am on cycle, getting headaches, drinking even half a beer guarantees a major attack. Alcohol is a very common trigger for many.  

Take the cluster quiz on the left of the board, that'll give you a better idea of where you stand. And if you're not already, start keeping a headache diary. When they start, how long they last, how fast they build, how high they build, with headaches the diagnosis will be in the details.

If it turns out you do have CH, welcome to your second home!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 9:08pm »

Sorry you are having such attacks. Take the cluster quiz and hopefully you'll find you don't have to deal with this horror.  

One test I have for CH is that no one can sit still or rest during a cluster attack.  

Good luck.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 9:55pm »

Something tells me that a doc who says your headaches are being caused by sleeping with your contacts is no neurologist who specializes in headache treatment.

You need to find one of those.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 7:36am »

Headache is a complex enough issue to work thru without having a skilled doc in your camp! Agree that it sounds like a change is in order.

----
1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have you tried sleeping with out them?

Any differance ?
IP Logged
DevHead
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:10pm »

Hello everyone;

For the last 9 days I have been having these amazingly painful headaches, it started waking me up at around 3am, on my right side, it felt like someone was hammering my right eyeball out of my head, with pain on my forehead, top of my head and back of my head, I end of just holding my right side with my hands and rocking back and forth, it got so bad, I had 7 attacks in one day, ended up at emergency, they said it was a migraine, but I didn;t have the normal symptoms, so they did a CT scan and everything came back,

I have been keeping a log of the times of my attacks and it has been getting worse, it started as only 2 time a day and up to 7 times a day, but I always wake up with an attack.

My GP looked at it and said that I have cluster headaches, never heard about it, now i will be referred to a neurologist which hopefully will be able to explain what the hell is happening to me,  everyone I talk to is relating it to migraine pain, but as I never had migraine pain I am not sure, but from my readings the symptoms don't fit.

I am so scared!! my Dr has me on Maxalt wafer for the pain (only 2 times a day) and painkillers for the remainder of my attacks.  Do I have cluster headaches?  in 9 days I have had 32 attacks, which last from 40 minutes to 2 hours is this normal? I am so scared to go to bed as I know I will wake up with an attack, so I take a Maxalt before I go to bed, whether or not I feel anything, but when that wears off I am up, usually very early in the morning...

I know I have to see a neurologist for a diagnosis but any help would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Dev
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:20pm »

From the preliminary indicators, you may have cluster headaches. The neuro should be able to give you a more definitive diagnosis.  

Until then, try slamming down an energy drink as soon as the attack starts. One containing caffeine and taurine. Many can abort an attack that way. For now, avoid alcohol, a major trigger for most of us when we are on cycle.

If it turns out you have cluster head aches, it is not the end of the world. With a 2 pronged approach, they can be managed.

You will need a good preventative medication, something you take during a cycle to reduce the intensity and the frequency of the attacks.

Then a good abortive regimen. A headache starts, now what? Your first line abortive MUST BE OXYGEN! Read the link on the left for the correct way to use it. I can abort an attack in less then 10 minutes, usually closer to 6-8, using oxygen. Th key points are:

A NON REBREATHER MASK
HIGH FLOW RATE, 15 TO 25 LPM
MUST BE STARTED AT THE FIRST SIGN OF AN ATTACK.

Welcome to the board, hope you do not have cluster headaches, if you do, welcome to your new second home.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:44pm »

Hello Dev

If your GP has already made the diagnosis of CH, you can print this article out and bring it to him/her and discuss other meds to be prescribed ( than just Maxalt melt and pain killers ) while you wait to see the neurologist. I hope you wont have to wait too long to see the neuro.  

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050215/717.html

Since this article was published in the American Family Physician, all GPs in the US would have access to it, should have read it and follow its recommendation. It mentioned Oxygen as first option in treating CH and it discusses in details other treatment options.

Good luck and painfree wishes to you.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Pain_Go_Away
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 9:03am »

Hello Again,
Went away for the weekend and was not able to reply, though my phone allowed me to read your responses. Thanks everyone for your great advice and compasion. It seems my attacks are every other day, sunday morning at the hotel I felt one comming on and downed a red bull. It really helped. Same this morning. I will be taking the quiz now and doing more reasearch to find a doctor. I don't always sleep with my contacts, I take them out every so often and let my eyes rest.

Again thanks to all of you for your concern and advice. If it turns out I do have CH, I will embrace my second home.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss