Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 9:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Travel to Ireland »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Travel to Ireland
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Travel to Ireland  (Read 1287 times)
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

Travel to Ireland
« on: Jan 24th, 2008, 9:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have some travel plans that will put me in the West side of Ireland next month.  This should be awhile before my next typical cycle.  There are some advantages of having a "thing" that is relatively seasonal, eh?

But I've read enough here to be concerned about a potential surprise.  The beast might show early to ruin my trip.  (I had the misfortune of getting hammered several years ago while in Finland)  Are there any readers who can offer me any suggestions in advance about where/how I might get some doctoring if this should occur?  

Or on a more positive and likely note, any recommendations for a good place to grab a pint or two and some good trad music around Ennis - Limerick?  Good suggestions for a day trip?  These may be my last beers until summer.

Jon
IP Logged

Jon
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Travel to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:07am »

Hi there...

It just happens i sit next to an Ennis man in work.. and my mother is from the county of Clare..

Recommendations below..have a good one !!

"Falls" - O Connell St. (across from cathedral)
Best guinness in Ennis, trad music thurs, fri and possible other nights of the week.

Kierans Bar - Francis St, Ennis. (good trad music)

Brogans or  Diamond - also on o connell street...

for a day trip go to the cliffs of moher, or the burren.
Check out the internet for info..

http://www.theburrencentre.ie/
http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/

enjoy your trip !
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 12:51pm »

Hi Jon,

I'd take my arsenal of meds with me if I were you.  I'm not sure what that entails for you though.

As for Oxygen, work with your insurance company and map out a strategy for getting what you need while you're over there.  There is likely to be some cost involved but what are you going to do.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2008, 6:32pm »

If you haven't left yet -

I have to travel a lot and have found that during a cycle flying these days is ABSOLUTELY a trigger.

To me it's the amount of (or lack thereof) oxygen in the pressurized cabin mix.

Which an airline worker told me is kept at quite a low minimal rate (perhaps because that would tend to keep passengers sleepy) in the modern world.

Contact your airline ahead of time to see what it would require in case you need o2 in flight.

I attended UCC for four years. Lovely country. Miss it a lot. Have a blast.
IP Logged
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 9:25pm »

Thanks for the tips!  I'm going in two weeks; my cycle is usually April-May.  The plans are for some day-tripping around county Clare, perhaps even down to Dingle.  Evening plans are to catch some trad and drink some black stuff.  Ronan, thanks much for the references in Ennis!   I'm told I should look over the edge of the cliffs.

I'll probably quit beer for a few months when I get back, to better deal with the beast.

I worry about the travel and time change whacking my circadian thing.  The worst cycle I ever had involved a trip to Finland and no meds (before diagnosed).  I spent evenings hiking around Tampere and nights pacing around my hotel room.  I don't have any prevents to pack, just a big bottle of O2 in the closet, ready for action here.  I hope not to need it, but would appreciate any tips on where to find a leprechaun with some oxygen.  Is socialized medicine as bad as they say?

Until then, I will continue to be Mr. positive thinker.

IP Logged

Jon
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 9:29pm »

imitrex injects
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:08pm »

The trip went very well.  The travel & time change didn't mess me up or get a cycle going early.  Just a few of the weird twinges (kip 2-3, 5-10 second duration) that reminded me the beast wants in.  I enjoyed the travel around southwest Ireland, I enjoyed plenty of stout, and even got some pub time in.  Kierans had great trad music - thanks Ronan!

Bottom line for cyclic folks - enjoy the PF times!

IP Logged

Jon
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:41pm »

Wouldn't this be nice if it really was?

IP Logged

Jon
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 8:38pm »

I'm happy to hear the trip went well.  As for the Guinness you drank, don't worry.  They'll make more  Grin

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss