Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just on a few days »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just on a few days
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just on a few days  (Read 1058 times)
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

Just on a few days
« on: Mar 20th, 2008, 8:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's unbelievable to hear how many people suffer from these headaches. My husband has been having them for the last month - once a day mostly, at 2:00 a.m. (1:00 a.m. before the time change) and they were about a 6-7 on the kip scale - I have since found melatonin for him and the attacks are much less severe and he can go right back to sleep - he has shadows on some days and nothing on others - he is determined to do this on his own - with melatonin and perhaps some oxygen if he goes to the neuro - which at this point he won't.  Kiss
IP Logged
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Just on a few days
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 8:52pm »

Mybelle,

Welcome you guys, you have found the right place It took me 5 1/2 years of suffering to get here, your hubby is one of the lucky ones.

Redbull and other energy drinks with tauren and caffine
will stop an attack in its tracks for me and many others here, they also help greatly with shadows. Try it out, it may work for you as well.

Superdave Cool
IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
Hal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

halburgiss
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:21pm »

Hey there Mybelle. Welcom aboard. Plenty of great information and advice here. I'm here two weeks or so, and its been immensely good for me.
IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:22pm »

I was just noticing that caffeine is an abortive - but I have a question - if there is something wrong with the circadian body clock, how will caffeine right itself? Or doesn't that have anything to do with constricting blood vessels? The melatonin is a sleep aid, and it was found that CH sufferers lacked melatonin - I'm confused...... Undecided
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 9:55pm »

Mybelle,

Good questions.  Nearly all of the prescribed and homeopathic abortives are vasoconstrictors.  With the exception of oxygen therapy, also a vasoconstrictor, all the rest of the abortives have side effects.  Doing it "on his own" is a noble strategy.  Having said that, not getting a prescription for oxygen therapy only handcuffs your options and prevents you from using oxygen therapy, one of the most cost effective and safest abortives available to cluster headache sufferers.

Yes, there's the time, trouble, and expense of a consult with a neurologist, but if your husband sticks to his guns, and asks for a prescription for oxygen therapy, he and you will be much happier in the long run.

The Rx should read: "Oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute with a non-rebreather mask AS NEEDED for cluster headaches."

Take care,

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 10:34pm »

Thanks for the info - it seems O2 is the answer for so many - well, if he's going to be stubborn is one thing...but I guess his pain level isn't there where it's unbearable - it looks it to me!!!
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 11:21pm »

Make him an offer he can't refuse.  The O2 will be worth it.
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 10:07am »

Just seconding what the Batch Man said! I was a stubborn ass for the first few years, my wife finally made me an appointment and dragged my ass to the doctor!!

30 years of dancing with the beast and oxygen is still my front line and most effective abortive. 6-8 minutes will almost always put the brakes on a hit. It's truly a beautiful thing! Smiley

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 10:40am »

I just hope I don't have to wait a few years!!!He left this morning with a shadow - he drives a truck, I hope it doesn't turn - it doesn't always - into a full blown attack.... Undecided
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:34pm »

Hi Mybelle!

tell him to carry with him a couple of cans of Red Bull, they seem to work for a lot of people  Smiley.

pain free vibes going your way!!!!

Hugs

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 9:23pm »

his stubborness will let up when it gets unbearable for him.  May be you should video tape him while he is having an attack.  Show it to him later and ask him if he thinks he needs a doctor or wants to continue suffering
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 9:31pm »

on Mar 20th, 2008, 10:34pm, Mybelle wrote:
but I guess his pain level isn't there where it's unbearable - it looks it to me!!!

If its not ever unbearable he dont have CH, eight and a half years on this site and I never heard anyone say that they have MILD CH.

Back to the doc for the right diagnosis I guess!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Angie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 10:20pm »

on Mar 26th, 2008, 9:23pm, kevmd wrote:
his stubborness will let up when it gets unbearable for him.  May be you should video tape him while he is having an attack.  Show it to him later and ask him if he thinks he needs a doctor or wants to continue suffering

Welcome Mybelle

You can actually go to YouTube and search for Cluster Headache attacks. You will see how well oxygen can work.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2008, 10:28pm by Angie » IP Logged
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 9:08pm »

No, my husband is stubborn and he said he has never experienced pain like this except for an accident that left him with unbearable sciatic pain - he says he has that pain in his head!!! And he may underestimate the pain level to protect me......
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 9:56pm »

He won't Go to a Dr. Jonny.

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #15 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:35am »

Hell no, he won't go.......I just heard him yell from the bedroom "taurine is good"........getting rid of the shadows right now =- with melatonin he'll be asleep in 10 minutes - a good nite to all...
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 10:27am »

Hell no, he won't go.......

I like that! I mentioned earlier, we men can be a damned stubborn lot. Thanks again for supporting him like you do. Please do stick around the board, if it progresses like mine did in the early stages, they will keep getting more painful. Eventually he won't be able to "ride it out" anymore and you'll already have all of the info lined up for him. Then you can very quietly, (under your breath), mutter I told you so! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 4:31pm »

Hi Mybelle,

Glad you found us, even if your husband is hardheaded, as most of us men are, you have found a new family.

I'm also a truck driver, as are a couple of others.  i don't have room for O2 in my truck, so I depend on a lot of coffee, and energy drinks to keep my hits in check.  However, that being said, he NEEDS TO SEE A DR NOW!!!  I hope that wasn't to subtle for him!  

It's great to be able to tough it out, and not to be dependent on drugs, but he needs to get a full handle on it.  Going down the road with 80,000 lbs @ 55 mph, (I'm SURE he wouldn't speed in Ca), and getting hit without a good means of aborting is not a good thing

As one driver to another, please get a script for O2, and while you are at it, get a preventative.  If you don't want to use a script try Kudzu.  (See the Meds page)  I found it to be effective, and it doesn't have some of the side effects some of the meds have.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Mybelle
New Board Junior
USA 

Cluster what?

« Reply #18 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 8:16pm »

He drives locally, so it's not big trucks and his hits are lighter - not heavier - in fact he hasn't had one since last thursday, he gets hit at night around 1 or 2 and he is on melatonin, benadryl and taurine to go to sleep and it has worked for the last 3 nights with nothing interrupting...he usually has one headache every other night - so its been 7 weeks of headaches every other nite until the last 4 days and he's had twinges and light shadows in the mornings after he wakes up and sometimes during the day, but a rockstar does it for him....Hopefully his attacks are not bad like some of you guys get and i have to be thankful for that......thanks for your concern = PFDAN
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss