Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex tablets »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex tablets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex tablets  (Read 4710 times)
mattscott
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional

Imitrex tablets
« on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Matt, this is my second cycle of cluster headaches,  after going to multiple docters,went to nero who diagnosed me w/cluster headaches,he gave me an occipital block  and topamax,150 mg and sent me on my merry way.   Now the beast is back,  so much brutal than before,  back to nero,,another occipital block and said see you in 3 months!  Then I stumbled accross your site,  and gained soooo much knowlege, realizing I didn't have to go threw all this pain. To make a long story short,nero just prescribed me Imitrex tablets a whopping 9 tablets for 30 days 100 mg each. Any way to extend them,getting 2 or 3 hits a day ? No word on oxygen.                                            Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:25pm by mattscott » IP Logged

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.
- Ronald Reagan
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

Re: Imitrex tablets
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:28pm »

hey matt..according to my neuro, you should only take a maximum of 3 imitrex tablets per week...............but i am confused, your header on this message says imitrex, but the body says topamax....?? i am in my first ever cycle, and my neuro also prescribed me elavil, to sleep, and "may" be a preventive for the nightime hits.it seems to be working for me..............O2 is supposed to be the best abortive, and there are so many people with alot of information regarding that, i am sure they will be here soon to help you out!  PF wishes coming your way!
deb hug
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:29pm »

sorry! i c the imitrex!! my bad!!!!
IP Logged
mattscott
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 6:56pm »

Thanks for the reply,Deb.  Getting hit w/Kip 4 and 5 during the day,while I'm working.  Guess I better put these aside for the big ones at night.  Have had alot of luck w/ Red Bull  and strong coffee to abort.  Nice to know there is Imitrex as back up.  Thought I read somewhere the Imitrex tabs did not work so well though?
IP Logged

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.
- Ronald Reagan
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:17pm »

you could cut them into 4ths.  Back when I used the tablets, 25 mg worked better for me than 100 and the pharmacist said 32 tablets at 25 mg a month was what the information in the box said, that was about 1 a day.

It took awhile to work.  If you could get maxalt melt or imitrex shots, they would work faster.  However, if your doc only got you 9 trex a month, i doubt he will go for injections.

Try cutting them into 4ths and taking them at first sign, and good luck.  Still doesn't sound like it will be enough, or fast enough.  

Don't forget ice packs on the head & red bull, slammed at first sign, cause they both help.

Did any of your docs mention verapamil?

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:21pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:45pm »

I'll second that (cut into 1/4).  Often the tabs will take longer to get into your system (up to 20min for me) if they have a coating on them by cutting them they may disolve a little quicker.  If you don't get relief and need to take another 1/4 tab the hit may be over by the time the second dose gets into your system.

Still slam the energy drink (Taurine & caffiene) and drink strong coffee while waiting for the trex to take effect with an ice pack on neck & head.

If you can tell how bad the hit is going to be I would save the Trex for the heavy ones and maybe use 1/2 tab.  Everyone will have a different experience with the effectiveness of the meds so you'll have to see what works for you.  I can usually get through the <K5 with energy drink & strong coffee.

If you can get them the inject is much faster <5 min.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:52pm »

oh my gosh , i didnt even think of cutting the imitrex!!! tks to both of u!!!!
IP Logged
Rosebuddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 7:59pm »

I, too, just got 9 Imitrex tablets today.  There is nothing on mine limiting the number I take per week or month, though, and I have 3 refills.  Am I missing something?  Also, it says all over it not be split pills or crush them.  I'd like to hear from you more experienced Imitrex users on that - Thanks!   Huh
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:13pm »

Imitrex tablets offer no help to me at all. (a LOT of others here will say the same thing) They take wayyyyyyyy too long to take effect.  

Quote:
No word on oxygen.

Call him back.  Insist on it.  15 lpm with a non-rebreather mask,  to be taken as needed for CH.

02 can abort a HA in as little as 3 to 5 mins.  Why anyone would be counting on a pill that needs to meander around the blood stream taking it's own sweet time to get where it's going is suffering longer than they need to.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:25pm »

Most limitations on triptans in the US come from the insurance company.  Not your Dr.  Check with your insurance company to find out the limitations they enforce and see if there is a process to get it overridden.

In my case, Blue Cross Blue Shield has a Quality Care Dosing override form my Dr had to fill out.  The override was for Imitrex injections and I needed to increase the monthly supply from 2 injections to 2/week or 8 injections total per month.

I mainly use 100% O2 @ 15lpm and energy drinks to abort.  I also use Verapamil as a prevent.  It dosen't eliminate all the hits but cuts down on the severity and frequency.  With this strategy I only averaged one Imitrex shot a week during my fall cycle.  To me, the fewer triptans use the better.  However they remain a tool of last resort that never fails me.

If you rely too heavily on Imitrex alone it can loose its effectiveness and also lead to rebound headaches.  Oxygen is effective and has no side effects that I can detect.  I use it at home and at work and never leave home without it Wink

There are seven triptans out there in total.

Amerge, Relpax, Frova (to name three) come in pill form and last longer than Imitrex which keeps reattacks to a minimum.  Frova has a half life of 26 hours.

Maxalt MLT is a nasal spray and is very effective and some claim it works as fast as Imitrex Injections.

Never mix triptans within 24 hours of each other as their interactions haven't been studied and you don't want to be a guinea pig.  This could prove to be a fatal mistake.

There are lots of other options like Olanzapine (Zyprexa) too.  It's is a cheap, effective alternative to expensive triptans.

Keep reading and arming yourself with info.  Then you just need to find an enlightened Dr willing to work with you to find the right strategy.  Then you'll be read to kick beast ass!!!

PF wishes to you...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:58pm »

yes listen to the other posters-  I too have used imitrex injections, nasals and pills.   Injections fastest, then nasal and pills -  i only have used with strong shadows never a full on attack- it would take so long to abort-

I also believe that imitrex is getting somewhat less effective for me- so I am now using o2- ( just started)  

but i will tell you even with a dr override for imitrex  to insurance company and lots of samples from neuro- if you use 2 imitrex a day and cycle lasts 2-6 weeks- it will be tough to keep up with supply and demand-  

so you may want to look into o2 and a prevent like verapamil too

Good Luck to You!   Smiley
IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 12:43am »

If you have Tabs I believe they say no more than 200mg during 24 hr period.
Injections no more than 12mg (2 x 6mg shots or 3 x 4mg)

It is wise to limit Imitrex usage whenever possible,  
it is possible to suffer from rebound headaches  
and it may loose effectiveness after awhile.

Best to find out what your lowest effective dose is.
To limit both adverse side effects and expen$e.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:19am »

Imitrex tablets work just fine if used to supplement oxygen therapy at 15 LPM at high Kip levels, at night when you want more than two hours sleep, and when you're having re-attacks 15 to 45 minutes after a successful abort with oxygen therapy.  Here's the thinking:

1. As good as oxygen therapy can be (the single best abortive available to us), 15 LPM is still too low a flow rate to abort Kip-8 and above cluster headache attacks.  When I was getting whacked at Kip-8 and above, I would split a 50mg imitrex tablet with a pill splitter and take the ~ 25 mg chunk at the first indication of an approaching attack then jump on the oxygen.  The combined abortive effects of oxygen therapy and imitrex usually worked to abort the high Kip level attacks.

2.  Yes, imitrex tablets are slower to achieve a therapeutic effect (abort an attack) than nasal spray or injections, but you get more in your system and the half-life of imitrex is a little over 2 hours. If the attacks were generally less than a Kip-8 and occurring every two hours through the night, I could take a 25 mg chunk of imitrex, jump on the oxygen and usually get 4 or more hours of sleep.  That also kept me under the 200 mg maximum dosing limit for a 24 hour period.

3.  When I was going through a phase where I was having re-attacks following a successful abort with oxygen therapy at 15 LPM  (they can still happen even at higher flow rates), supplementing with imitrex reduced the incidence of the re-attacks.  
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:22am by Batch » IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:22pm »

i got a scrip filled here for imitrex today, 16 pills would have cost $400 if i didnt have insurance!!!! My cost was $44, and my neuro gave me a $25 coupon off, so my final cost was $19...amazing....................
IP Logged
KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 8:17pm »

I have always split the 100mg Imitrex Tabs, but never thought 1/4 would be effective enough. I have found oral Imitrex to be pretty much ineffective for me even when using the entire 100mg for any hits higher than a Kip 8. The injections have always aborted an attack within 5 to 10 min. and I have tried the nasal spray, which seemed to work well, but tastes horrible when it runs down the back of your throat (very bitter). I concur that using the least amount of Tripans necessary is best due to rebound ha. Other abortives, especially O2 and RedBull or any other combination that works for each inidiviual is my recommendation. Unfortunately, this time around I didn't get the O2 until my ch started to taper off, but I have it now and for the future. I am celebrating day 1 of being PF and hope the beast never returns.
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 8:34pm »

not sure if this will help but-  my doctor prescribed me frova on friday -  i have been using that daily 1 pill - as a preventative while also on verapramil 480 mg.  I have only had to jab myself once and that was friday.  Not sure if its the verapramil, the frova or that my cycle may be winding down- but i haven't had a hit above a 4 since friday.  

No hits at night during sleep and the one hit i did have around 11 pm last night I was able to watch tv through it ( eye was teary and droopy )  lasted about 45 minutes and could deal with it-  

So maybe some possibilities for you?  who knows everyone is different as are their cycles.  GL to you
IP Logged
Becky
New Board Junior
Great_Britain 

Welcome to my world   Now go home!!!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 1:54pm »

My gp gave me Maxalt and I thought I was going to have a heart attack!! When I took it my heart started to pound and I really felt ill. She then gave me Imigran(Imitex)Radis Tablets, I was told by the pharmasist that these start to work quicker than normal Imigan. I feel sorry for you guys in the US,with the problems you have geting your meds, last priscription I had was for 36 50mg tabs. On the box I have it says only to take upto 150mg per day.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss