Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi from Chicagoland! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi from Chicagoland!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi from Chicagoland!  (Read 616 times)
Jan_Shuman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Hi from Chicagoland!
« on: Mar 26th, 2008, 4:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, there!  My name is Jan Shuman and I am SO VERY, VERY THANKFUL to have found you all!  I'm 43 and have had cluster headaches on and off since I was 4 years old; back then, before I knew what I was dealing with, I called them "eye headaches."  

My last cluster was 2 years ago then this one started suddenly and violently 6 weeks ago.  Migronal spray and Torodol pills did absolutely nothing for me, but, thank G-d, Zomig 5mg spray worked.  I have about 45 seconds to a minute when a headache wakes me up to use this and, the sooner I use it, the faster it works.  Luckily, the headaches have been tapering off, and I am very thankful to be armed and ready for the next attack.

I also go for accupuncture and want to go for more hypnosis when I can afford it.  I found 2 great neurologists in Chicago (her husband gets these) and in Des Plaines if anyone is looking for someone who understands.  

I'm single, have no kids that I know of, and grew up in the Windy City.  I'm an executive assistant at the investment firm/charitable foundation owned by the founder of CDW.  I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

I truly wish everyone well and that you all find what works for you ASAP.  I'd love to meet anyone in the Chicago/Suburban/Wisconsin/Indiana area and also anyone who'll be visiting Chicago.  

Take care, and best to all you,
Jan Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Hi from Chicagoland!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:03pm »

Hi Jan and welcome.  

Pull up a comfy chair and start reading around here.  Start with the links to the left.  Many people spent 100's and 100's  of hours of research on the things you will find here.    

Please feel free to ask us anything also.  We may not always have the answer, but we'll break our backs trying, that's for sure.

Linda    

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Jan_Shuman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:08pm »

Hi, Linda!

Thank you so much for your message!  I will definitely take your suggestion.  I already feel so much less alone.  Luckily, no one else in my family and none of my friends gets these, but it's hard sometimes when they don't understand what it takes out of us.

Take care, and many, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan

: )  : )
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:17pm »

Almost everyone here has had that same reaction from family and friends.  We all understand that frustration.

In fact....the second you hit "send" and posted your 1st. post, you became family here.  You'll never be alone in this again.

hug
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Jan_Shuman
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:20pm »

Thanks, Linda!

I'm here for all of you, too.

Thanks for the hug, too; I needed it!

Take care,
Jan

: )  : )
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:53pm »

Welcome from the chilly and snow covered tundra of Central WI.

Spring is the season when it sucks to be us Jan, but we're a family here.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:53pm »

Hello Jan and welcome.

I dont have Ch but I am a supporter for my husband who does and I would like to offer you my total support also. Anytime you wish to have someone to talk to just send an email or a PM.  

Painfree wishes.  Smiley
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 6:35pm »

Hey Jan   wave

So sorry you came looking - But d*mn glad you found us.

Welcome to the Clusterville Nuthouse   laugh

Like mentioned above pull up a chair and read... Read... Read...

There is a lot of information here and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Again Welcome from MN.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 6:51pm »

Welcome to the nut house. My wife just landed in your windy city this afternoon, claims she'll come back on Friday, if not the dishes really start to pile up! Grin

Oxygen! If you haven't tried it, please do! 30 years of dancing with the beast and oxygen is still my best tool. 100% oxygen, at a high flow rate, at least 15 LPM, through a non re breather mask, will kill an attack for me in 6-8 minutes. Worth a shot as it's cheap and no side effects!

So very glad you found us, like Linda said, you will never be alone with this stuf again! If you see my wife tell her I said hi and to hurry home. Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 4:39pm »

Hi Jan,

Welcome aboard.  I'm from Aurora, so we're not to far apart.

At the top of this Getting To Know Ya page is a post of a letter to collegues and friends.  Print it out and share it with your family and friends.  It gives them a basic intro to this horror, and is put in such a way that if they are open to understanding they will be able to understand what you deal with.

I wish I could tell you that accupuncture and hypnosis would help, but unfortunately I cannot.  if you are looking for non medical methods of dealing with CH I would refer you to Oxygen and Kudzu.  There is a wealth of info on Oxygen on the button to your left, and there is a lot of good info on Kudzu on the Meds and Treatments page.  Nani is well versed on Kudzu and can answer questions if you don't find the info you need there.  Batch is quite knowledgeable on oxygen, and is very good to help with that, as are a lot of others on here.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss