Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to CH.com »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to CH.com
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to CH.com  (Read 829 times)
AtomicTwinStix
New Board Newbie
USA 

New to CH.com
« on: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow...so glad I found this website! And just in the nick of time. I just finished a cycle about 2 weeks long with at least 2 headaches a day lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to more than 4 hours. Very persistent......8pm every day.  

Glad to be here. Hope to meet some great folks, get some advice/help, and maybe offer some of my own.  

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: New to CH.com
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:05pm »

Welcome,
Houdy from Montany.
thebb Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:06pm by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 12:25am »

Hey Atomic   wave

So sorry you came looking But damn glad you found us!

Welcome to the Clusterville Nuthouse  grin2.

What have you used for treatment so far??

I'm always interested to hear what works for others.

Again Welcome!  There is alot of info here pull up a chair and read... Read... Read...
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2008, 12:26am by DragonSlayer » IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:12am »

And I too am glad you found us! What dragon boy said. Let us know what you've used in the past, what has and hasn't worked etc. This board is all about sharing info and helping each other out. Here's hoping that was your last cycle ever! (I know but we're a damned optimistic bunch! Wink)

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 1:11pm »

Welcome Home Atomic!!

now grab and oar and row!!!

pain free wishes!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:16pm »

Big welcome from Idaho, ATS.

It's a pleasure to meet you.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 8:19pm »

ATS,

Welcome to CH.com...   Yer are down in the same neck of the woods as ClusterChuck.  If you want to meet a fellow CH'er face to face and discover the other world we share, he's in the book.  Shoot him a PM with your POC info.  He's busy as a beaver, but I'm sure he'll find a way to make time for a meet.

V/R, Batch

IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
AtomicTwinStix
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:35pm »

Thanks to everyone for the welcome....

As far as treatment...I have not gone the medication route as of yet because my cycles are so randomly spaced apart. I guess in the beginning I thought it was something I'd just have to deal with. And I got sick and damn tired of hearing people with migraines compare their condition to mine. Don't get me wrong, I feel for those folks too, but they just don't know.

Let's see....homegrown treatments that have worked in the past...(worked on some occasions, didn't in others)

• Medium warm shower (sitting down with head between knees), and letting water cascade on my head

• Water....tons and tons of water during cycles.....since my headaches are typically triggered by alcohol during cycles, I try to avoid it at all costs....I do love a cold beer though   Smiley

• My headaches are typically centered on the right side of my head, and originate behind my eye, gradually taking over the entire right side of my face and head. I've found that in some cases, squeezing both temples with the butt of my palms reduces some of the torment during a 8-10 Kip moment

• I'd like to get some comments on "standby" medications, for when I have a cycle that lasts longer than 3 weeks

I know these "remedies" may sound stupid, but it's just what I do to cope. It varies sometimes for me.....being on my feet is sometimes better than being in the bed. Or sitting in a recliner with no lights or noise. I'd like to hear what others have to contribute...
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 9:53pm »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf
O2 and coffee is a good standby , for aborts. My prevents are secret. Cheesy Pick your poison
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:48pm »

With such a short cycle the preventative meds probably wouldn't help much. Most take about 2 weeks to build up to a therapeudic level.

Bzz mentiioned oxygen, it should be your first line abortive. My cycles last 8-12 weeks, been doing battle for 30 years and oxygen is still my most consistent weapon. Read the link on the left, I can be pain free in as few as 6-8 minutes using only oxygen. The key points:

Pure oxygen, at a high flow rate, at least 15 LPM, from a non re breather mask, started at the first hint of an attack. Read the link on the left, oxygen info, for more details.

Try slamming an energy drink at the first hint of an attack, Monster, Rock Star, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine, many can abort or substantially reduce an attack that way.  

So glad you found us, I hope we can help you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 11:01pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 9:35pm, AtomicTwinStix wrote:

Let's see....homegrown treatments that have worked in the past...(worked on some occasions, didn't in others)

• Medium warm shower (sitting down with head between knees), and letting water cascade on my head

• squeezing both temples with the butt of my palms reduces some of the torment during a 8-10 Kip moment

• I know these "remedies" may sound stupid, but it's just what I do to cope. It varies sometimes for me.....being on my feet is sometimes better than being in the bed. ..

Those don't sound stupid to me at all. I've been known to do the same thing. Especially before I knew what I was dealing with.
~Kris
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 7:16pm »

Welcome aboard!  We have a couple of other clusterheads in Greenville.  Used to live there myself back in the 70's.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 10:40pm »

Welcome ATS! You will find a wonderful group of supporters here. I've only been posting and reading here for a few weeks and the information on these boards has been invaluable. The best suggestion was for me to re-visit the whole O2 option, which has proven to be a godsend thus far. I've only been using it for two days, but man has it made a huge difference in aborting my hits. Many times my ch will begin with a more migraine type ha evolving into a full blown cluster and the O2 has kept those at bay too.
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss