Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Insurance problems »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Getting to Know Ya
(Moderator: DJ)
   Insurance problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Insurance problems  (Read 1843 times)
GJ
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Insurance problems
« on: May 21st, 2008, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi folks,

This is my first post ... I can't really say that I've suffered from cluster headaches for 8 years.  Actually, I had an episode 8 years ago that lasted two months ... then, I think the distance running helped, because I didn't have one for 8 years ... until ... "They're back!"
Since the end of April, I've been waking up at about 2 a.m. every night ... droopy right eye, nasal blockage right side ... then, the sooner I reach the Imitrex, the better, because ... "WHOOOOOAAAAA!!!!"

So, I have three issues I would like to discuss.  First, insurance!  I have two forms of medical insurance ... one from the place I work and I'm on my wife's plan.  Well, here's the deal.  The first batch of 6 Imitrex sprays costs me about $25 on my wife's plan.  Then, the second batch, $60.  Well ... after that, for some screwball reason, the insurance company won't allow me another one until after 21 days.  For crying out loud, 6 + 6 does not equal 21.  And, even if I have a doctor's prescription for the intermediary period, I have to shell out $250 for another batch.  I understand a generic form of the injection is supposed to be coming out soon.  Any advice on how to alleviate this situation would be helpful.

My second issue is ... how long can we take this sumatriptan medicine (I'm currently using 20 mg per night) without it (a) turning the blood green through the binding of sulfur with hemoglobin, and (b) turning into a health risk?

By the way, I tried running again to ward this off, but although at first I thought it helped (3 days, no headache), I just ran Sunday 10 miles and had 3 nights of excrutiating pain (followed by a dose of Imitrex, of course).

The third and final issue is ... is this a disease?  Is this a disorder?  What's the difference?  Who gets to say what it is?  Why is the insurance company so stingy?

Okay, that's the end of my first post.  I'm glad I got that all off my chest.  I do kind of feel better.

Smiley
GJ
IP Logged
Audre
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Insurance problems
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2008, 1:27pm »

Ugh, insurance companies. *cringe*  My insurance company will only pay for 9 Maxalts a month.  And they're they lowest dosage amount so I usually end up having to take 2 to just get it under control.  I guess 9 is better than none especially since they don't normally cover it.  My mom's insurance is the same way.  She has fibromyalgia, the doctor recommended lidocaine infusion and/or TENS unit.  She called the insurance company to get it approved, they told her no.  My dad came home to her crying, he called them back and chewed them out.  They said it wasn't on the approved treatment list for fibromyalgia so he asked what was.  They said there was no list....... Eventually they did allow her to get the TENS unit.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2008, 1:35pm »

Most insurance companies limit the amount of expensive drugs their clients can purchase. Insurance companies are not usually non-profit enterprises.

If your doc writes the script for you to have 2 doses a day for 30 days, looks to me like your insurance company will pay for 12 (with your copay, of course), then you get to pick up the tab for the other 48 doses.

I'd be taking some kind of preventative once that whole thing started, as I wouldn't want to be taking high-test abortives for that long.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2008, 2:03pm »

Look at the OUCH site (left). They have some material on how to deal with this insurance issue, basically, getting your doc to write, explaining the need.

No time limit on using Imitrex unless there are preexisting problems which you doc will have to evaluate.

From a cost perspective, some of us have had excellent results with Zyprexa (olanzapine). See,

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

http://www.mhni.com/clusterheadaches.aspx#treating
==========
Running may help BUT some people find that elevated body temperature will trigger an attack. Your judgment call.
===
CH is a disorder arising from some misfunction of a portion of our brain. Mechanisms not yet understood and even what is known doesn't affect us day-to-day on coping. Spend time exploring the buttons (left) and the multitude of links you  will find.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2008, 4:41pm »

Just to add a bit to Bob's advise, look into Oxygen.  No side effects and fast relief.  Works as quick as 10 minutes for me.

You need to use 100% O2 @ 10-15lpm using a non-rebreather mask.

I also add an energy drink to my O2 therapy to keep reattacks to a minimum.

Using this abortive strategy I've significantly reduce the number of triptans ($$$) I'm using.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss