Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 5:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Smoking??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Smoking???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Smoking???  (Read 1384 times)
Druidmaster
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Please!!!! I don't want to puke this time!!!!!

Smoking???
« on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a buddy that gets bad CH.  He insists that smoking has helped him.  I don't know.  Sometimes I wonder what is worse.  Another attack, or dieing of cancer!  Is there truth to what my buddy said?
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

Re: Smoking???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

In my case, yes, smoking has helped me.  I can't smoke in the midst of an attack, but if I feel one starting, I would reach for a cig, and then suck as much down as possible before the pain gets to be too much, then after the attack is over, I have one again.

That was last cycle.

I quit smoking last January, and am now in cycle again, but going through it smoke free.  It's sorta managable without the cigs, so if you don't smoke now, DON'T START!!!  Try other alternatives.

take care,
mel
IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 11:08am »

As a group we do seem to smoke an awful lot from what I've seen and I'm still good for about 10 per day .

For me I won't have a cigarette when I'm being hit, but sometimes a more recreational smoke helps change the relentless grind and tone of an attack.

But since I found O2 - attacks have tended to be a whole lot healthier and shorter.  

It's wise to keep the two as mutually exclusive as possible !  

IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 11:09am »

I dont think it really helps nor triggers the CH but it definately seems to calm the mind and nerves between hits. For the moment I will risk the cancer.
IP Logged

MJ
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 3:36am »

on Dec 8th, 2005, 10:41am, Druidmaster wrote:
 Sometimes I wonder what is worse.  Another attack, or dieing of cancer!  Is there truth to what my buddy said?

It beats gettin run over by a Mack truck Grin
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
JenLynFin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 2:55am »

It actually helps me to have one during an attack.  Could just be the calming down factor.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 4:25am »

I smoke like a fiend when experiencing attacks but  smoking itself doesn't improve or worsen the attacks.  Just gives me something else to do while I get the Sh!t kicked out of me.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 4:26am »

As state after state decrees smoking illegal in all places......public and private, it's good to know there's at least one safe haven for a bunch of brown lungers.

Smoke `em if you got `em.
RJ

on Jan 14th, 2006, 4:25am, burnt-toast wrote:
I smoke like a fiend when experiencing attacks

Read up on the oxygen thing.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 4:35am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Wlt2424
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 11:55pm »

Woke up 5a.m. Friday with what I would call a level 8. Started my O2 (my life saver) immediately upon being awaken by the beast. After 12-15 minutes I realized it wasn't going to work. Ice pack to the head did no good. Finally I smoked a cigarette, this caused the pain to ease after a couple of minutes. This didn't stop the headache just slowed it up a bit. After about five more minutes I tried O2 again, within minutes the beast was completely gone. This is not first time I've had tried this exact method. By no means do I smoke during the onset of CH, this is just something that I've had luck with before. After 15 years of dealing with these things, tried a little bit of everything. I think this helps pain some because smoking constricts your blood vessels and therefore reduces amount of pain getting to your head. Maybe this makes sense, maybe not, but a lot of things I've tried over the years don't make sense.
IP Logged
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 1:04am »

For my first two cycles(on my third now) smoking was a trigger, but now on this one it seems to have no effect at all.

And for all the kids out there, Never Smoke.........Period!  But more importantly, never smoke near your O2..........BOOM!
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 3:23am »

Am I the only adult Cher that doesn't smoke or drink.  My Dr told me he thought I was a rarity.  He said that was one thing most Chers had in common was that they either smoked or drank (I assume he meant in adults only).

Anyway, I was going to post this question in a thread by itself but this one seems like a good enough place.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
youngmichael
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Artist, Episodic CH

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 2:36pm »

I don't smoke, and I have a few drinks maybe once every 5 or six months. You're not alone FramCire.  

Maybe drinking and smoking make CH worse, maybe not. I'm not going to start to find out, though.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 2:55pm »

on Jan 16th, 2006, 3:23am, FramCire wrote:
Am I the only adult Cher that doesn't smoke or drink.  My Dr told me he thought I was a rarity.  He said that was one thing most Chers had in common was that they either smoked or drank (I assume he meant in adults only).

Anyway, I was going to post this question in a thread by itself but this one seems like a good enough place.

There's documentation that seems to concur with what your doc said. But, it doesn't seem that much of the literature can fill in the gap between the fact that there seems to be a lot of smokers and drinkers and it being some kind of cause of CH. Particularly since there are many like you that do not live in that slice of the population. While alcohol is VERY often a trigger for many when in cycle, a person's use of alcohol in the past doesn't create a cluster head from what I've read.

Jury's out on the real link here on this issue but there is no definitive as there is for cirrhosis or lung cancer.  

scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 6:47pm »

You know, I've smoked for a long time.  Tongue Nicotine, as well as caffeine, are vasoconstrictors...which means they make your blood vessels constrict, which is what ergotamine and few other abortives do.  The side effects for smoking, however, are pretty significant.  I intend to quit after this cycle.  Not because of the headaches, but because its time to give my lungs a break.  When my CH started back in 1881, I mean 1981, I was a heavy drinker.  Alcohol did trigger CH when in cycle.  It was how I could tell whether my cycle was over, drink a glass of wine.  If I got hit, well, cycle not over.  I stopped drinking in September of 1998, and have had several cycles since. So that didn't cause the CH.  I have also quit smoking during cycle to see if that helped.  It didn't.  Pregnancy, on the other hand, did seem to stop the headaches.  However, in this season of my life, a 49 yr old post-menopausal woman, I don't think its a possible preventative. Roll Eyes  Thank goodness laugh  
PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:20pm »

Still got Clusters even when I did not smoke.

Smoking alleviates some level of anxiety associated with the bad hits for me
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 10:14am »

I quit smoking cigarettes 9 years ago, and I had CH way before I quit and after I quit.

I started smoking cigars about 5 years ago when I ALMOST picked up cigarettes again. I used cigars to killt he urge. Heck, I'll get mouth cancer but not lung cancer! I'll smoke one or 2 a month, and it does not trigger headaches, nor gets rid of them. That is my experience.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 1:56pm »

I dont know I dont smoke but I do know that when Iam stuck around a Smokey area or on a long trip with my wife (WHO SMOKES and Her husband is a Respiratory Therapist)  I get hit!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 9:04pm »

Grin Keep up the good work Mel! I smoked for 30 years and quit about 6 months ago...and I am still married. laugh No effect on the CH that I can tell. I quit due to the potential use of Imitrex when I am 50 ish. I can say that when in an episode I cant stand the smell of them or me for that matter eek, even when I smoked. Good for the nerves though. I was a big A$$ before I quit, and then the withdrawl hit. My wife is so cool putting up with my crap. Wink I am getting over it though, hope the same for all of you quitting as well. For those that smoke....enjoy
jb smokin nono
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I chainsmoke when I have an attack.
IP Logged
Aoife
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 8:49am »

Grin It really is such a relief to hear I am not the only one. I wish I had found this place sooner. I have smoked for years and have quit on and off. I have always said that I didn't see huge improvements when I quit, I only smelled better. I have noticed that a smoke just prior to the worst pain seems to help, but then again maybe it is just the distraction. At any rate, I have attempted quitting once again. It has been 3 weeks. I guess we'll see what happens. Wish me luck! Undecided
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 10:11am »

I have never smoked but I drinks a bit. I like my dark beers, single barrel malts and blended canadians, although when on cycle the grain alcohols are a big no no!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 12:12pm »

Started w/ ch in 1980 - quit smoking in 1989....been smoke-free since   Grin  Cigs had no affect on the ch - before, during or after.  Don't drink either - that has proven to bring on a ch in my case.

Mia
IP Logged
midnight_madness
New Board Newbie
USA 

O2 is my 4 minute friend

« Reply #22 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 11:20pm »

First met the beast in 1970 at the ripe old age of 10. I neither drank nor smoked at the time. Didn't seem to matter then. Started smoking around 16, drinking around 20. Never seemed to matter anywhere along the line (except while in cycle of course when drinking is right out). Somewhere in there I forgot to start drinking again after a cycle ... too bad we can't take ginkgo or maybe I could remember to do important things like that ... LOL.

I haven't played much with smoking before or during headaches lately. For the past several years, the beast usually comes 45 minutes after I go to sleep and I almost always start at level 7 progressing to somewhere between 8 and 10 in the next 2-3 minutes. Thus, I find myself in something of a rush to get to either an O2 tank or a hot shower and haven't found time to fuss with smoking on the way.  

However, in the past, when the beast came to surprise me throughout the day or just upon regular awakening, I would say smoking would trigger them while coffee MIGHT prevent them ... but only during that very narrow 2-3 minute window when you feel it coming on ... once it starts, forget about it. Other than that, no effect in my experience.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss