Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - Sumatriptan and Heart Attack »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - Sumatriptan and Heart Attack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - Sumatriptan and Heart Attack  (Read 443 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - Sumatriptan and Heart Attack
« on: Dec 29th, 2005, 12:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Pediatr Cardiol. 2005 Jul-Aug;26(4):464-6.  

A case of myocardial infarction with sumatriptan use.

Erbilen E, Ozhan H, Akdemir R, Yazici M.

Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University Duzce, Kardiyoloji Klinigi, Konuralp, Turkey.

Sumatriptan is widely used in the treatment of acute attacks of cluster headache. It is a serotonin-1 (5HT-1) agonist. Several studies have reported an association between sumatriptan use and myocardial infarction, possibly due to the generalized vasoconstrictive nature of this agent. We report a 16-year-old male patient presenting with acute inferior myocardial infarction after sumatriptan use without any known risk factors of coronary artery disease.

PMID: 16374699 [PubMed - in process]
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Fresh Research - Sumatriptan and Heart Attack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks, bro.  Don't all/most of the triptan meds carry the same risk?  

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 12:53pm »

on Dec 29th, 2005, 12:41pm, Gator wrote:
Thanks, bro.  Don't all/most of the triptan meds carry the same risk?  

They are all vasoconstrictors and have some risk - the standard answer is that in 90% of people (those without certain heart conditions) they are acceptably low risk.  But a 16 year old kid with no known risk factors??
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2005, 12:57pm by floridian » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 1:10pm »

on Dec 29th, 2005, 12:53pm, floridian wrote:

But a 16 year old kid with no known risk factors??  

That is scary as hell!  
Those of you who use a lot of triptans... especially the smokers...
please reconsider.  Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 7:22pm »

I saw this report when I checked PubMed today and decided to not post it. It's not wise to jump to conclusions about any med based on one case and, especially here, we have no other information about underlying issues which have not been reported.  

We have multiple reports covering thousands of people using this class of meds showing high levels of safety and effectivenesss.  

Life is a constant balancing of cost/benefit and it's important to not lose sight of this reality. Whether we are taking an aspirin, driving a car, or taking an anesthetic for a dental procedure--there is risk.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 9:44am »

Bob, spoken like a true philosophic clinician.  My mother-in-law, bless her little pea-pickin' brain, reads every single warning on every single thing that she ingests.  She always has side-effects.  And they are always listed somewhere on the pt info pamphlet.  She is a truly amazing subject for study.  On the other hand, those who take tripans daily, and have other risk factors, really should keep this in mind.  Some of the clusterbuster methods don't have the risk involved, and might be worth checking into.  For the record though, Imitrex has saved the lives/sanity of many.
It is all about weighing the risks vs. benefits.
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 11:11am »

on Jan 1st, 2006, 9:44am, kcopelin wrote:
 On the other hand, those who take tripans daily, and have other risk factors, really should keep this in mind.  Some of the clusterbuster methods don't have the risk involved, and might be worth checking into.  
kathy

Please try to convince our Viking Hero Svenn to at least consider some clusterbuster methods as he fall in the high risk category and uses triptans daily and in high dosages.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
clustersurgeon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 1:33pm »

I was the First in the worlds who talk about that;
You can see cluster migraine surgery on Challenger Sat TV on Hotbird,  
From Padova, ITALY www.migrainesurgery.8m.net
Happy New Year.
Where you can reads about trpitans Danger.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 1:44pm »

]
For the attention of anyone new reading this.

ClusterSurgeon is a troll.

He has registered on this site under many names and deleted all of them after being run off for dangerous, ridiculous and worthless views.

He is not a doctor.

He has no medical training and his so called medical certification comes from schools with no medical education programmes.

Do not be deceived.

His opinion and views are worth their weight in manure so unless you have roses read no further!

Oh and he does not have cluster headaches so if you are looking for help his views are of no value to you.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 5:50am »

on Jan 1st, 2006, 11:11am, Jasmyn wrote:

Please try to convince our Viking Hero Svenn to at least consider some clusterbuster methods as he fall in the high risk category and uses triptans daily and in high dosages.

The neuroes and cardioes here saying that triptans"imitrex" is NOT that bad for the heart as first expected.

Have asked a lot of docs about my situation and in summary they say that i can do up to 5 shots a day without any problem.

I believe we need to read the warnings on the manuals inside the cases with new eyes since most of the warnings is from when trex first come to us early 90s

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:45am »

on Jan 2nd, 2006, 5:50am, Svenn wrote:

The neuroes and cardioes here saying that triptans"imitrex" is NOT that bad for the heart as first expected.

Have asked a lot of docs about my situation and in summary they say that i can do up to 5 shots a day without any problem.

I believe we need to read the warnings on the manuals inside the cases with new eyes since most of the warnings is from when trex first come to us early 90s

Svenn

That still does not stop me from worrying about you, you stubborn Viking! Wink
I agree, as CHers we do tend to be on higher dosages of meds and survive but the Clusterbusters have delivered great results with less harm over the past few years.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 2:36pm »

Headache. 2004 Feb;44(2):178-82.  

Frequent triptan use: observations on safety issues.

Robbins L.

Department of Neurology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. 60062, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the safety of frequent triptan use over extended periods. For a small group of patients with refractory migraine plus chronic daily headache, triptans are effective. METHODS: This retrospective study primarily evaluated the cardiac safety of daily triptan use in 118 patients and, in addition, hematologic tests were assessed. Each patient had utilized a triptan for a minimum of 4 days per week for at least 6 months. Patients with rebound headache had been withdrawn from the triptans. Most patients (97 of 11Cool averaged 1 tablet daily; most would occasionally go for several days without a triptan. Forty patients had taken a triptan for 6 months to 2 years, 37 patients from 2 to 4 years, and 41 for 4 or more years. RESULTS: Routine hematologic tests were performed periodically on all patients, and no abnormalities were attributable to triptans. Almost all patients had an electrocardiogram, and no abnormal electrocardiograms were felt to be related to triptans. Cardiac echocardiography was performed in 57 patients. The 10 abnormal echocardiograms were not due to triptans. All 20 cardiac stress tests revealed normal findings. Adverse events were minimal; 9 patients described fatigue due to triptans, and 5 had mild chest tightness. CONCLUSION: This long-term study of 118 patients indicates that frequent triptan use may be relatively safe.

PMID: 14756859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #12 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 9:51am »

Thanks for this - O2 and clusterbusters makes complete sense for me 'coz they work better than the triptans I've been prescibed.

The fact that they're much less likely to lead to heart disease  is a side effect I will be able to live with.

Anyone for Lithium or Pizotifen/Sanomigran?  

The latter's side effects include - Dry mouth, fast heartbeat, difficulty urinating (passing water), constipation, drowsiness, increased appetite and weight gain, feeling sick, dizziness, skin rashes, swelling of the limbs, muscle pains, pins and needles, sexual problems, seeing or hearing things that are not real, or very rarely depression.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss