Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « cyproheptadine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   cyproheptadine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cyproheptadine  (Read 984 times)
troy

Email

cyproheptadine
« on: Jan 9th, 2006, 8:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hello all, an update on my current cycle. I switched to the standard release verapamil as suggested and it seems to be making a difference, nothing above a kip 5 since switching. I saw a new neuro today Dr. Gill, he seems to be very knowlegable about cluster headaches. I was very impressed considering in the past with other docs they didn't seem to know very much. I told him about the verapamil and he agreed that this is pobably the best preventive right now, and then he said he wanted me to try periactin 8mg at bedtime, and to continue taking the verapamil. The generic name is cyproheptadine and is usually used for the treatment of allergies, but Dr. Gill said he has had success treating other cluster headache patients with this med. Has anyone here ever tried this and if so would you say it was affective.
        wishing pfdta Troy.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: cyproheptadine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Nope but glad the change has helped!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 2:38am »

Hi Troy

Periactin is an antihistamine. I used it when I was first diagnosed with CH in the early 80s and CH was referred to as histamine headaches, not sure if that still stands. It may have helped just a wee bit but not enough to keep using it.
Its certainly worth giving it a go. No side effects that I remember.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 2:36pm »

Although cyproheptadine is an antihistamine, it also blocks the serotonin 5-HT2a receptors.  So it has some action like kudzu and olanzapine.  

There's an article on histamine and cluster headache in the most recent OUCH newsletter - http://www.ouch-us.org/newsletters/12-2005/12-2005.pdf

IP Logged
Jett
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 10:50am »

I, too, have recently been put on cyphroheptadine for the first time.  I was on a combination of 600 mg. lithium and 240-360 mg of Verapamil daily, with melatonin at night before bed.  That was working and I thought I was out of the cycle.  Then I started another cycle on the other side of my head, a rarity for me.  My dr. prescribed cypro at bedtime (1-2 pills - I don't recall the dose).  When I took one pill, it didn't do anything adn I still had a 5 AM headache.  On two pills now and, with the lithium and verapamil, it seems to be doing the trick.  No CHs for 3 weeks now.  I will start to taper off to see what happens.

Good luck.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 7:56am »

Tried periactin.  No help with the CH.

Switched to Melatonin.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss