Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 7:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)  (Read 1257 times)
Nosferatu
New Board Newbie
Mexico 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Thanks for Sharing (nt)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:09am »

(Just how do you modify a No Text response?)
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:12am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

Re: DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:13pm »

Honestly, this is one of the most important posts on this board.  I never knew this and my Dr gave me a bunch of samples and didn't warn me about this.  While I knew never to take more than 2 doses in 24 hours (that was my Dr.s/pharmasists directions), they never told me not to mix triptans.

I love this place because it honestly could have saved my life.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 4:56pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:13pm, FramCire wrote:
Honestly, this is one of the most important posts on this board.  I never knew this and my Dr gave me a bunch of samples and didn't warn me about this.  While I knew never to take more than 2 doses in 24 hours (that was my Dr.s/pharmasists directions), they never told me not to mix triptans.

I love this place because it honestly could have saved my life.

At the same time, most of the people on this board are not doctors, so do take what they say with a grain of salt.

Here's another thing to take with a grain of salt (since I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) - my neuro has told me that it's fine for me to mix triptans. I am an otherwise healthy 45-yr-old male with no history of heart disease. I take Amerge twice a day along with my other preventatives when I'm in cycle, and take Maxalt to abort when necessary. In two on-and-off (mostly off) years of doing this, no problems.

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
no-one
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

aude sapere        cogito ergo         disce pati

beckyulissi   Becku22

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:09pm »

Bill

I am not a Dr or do I play one on TV. But....
Taking and mixing triptans is drangerous. I am very gald you have had no problems doing that. We do have someone on the board that did it and has some major problems. I hope they chime in and explain what happed to them when they did.
I have been to 3 of the top Neuro's  and was told never to mix them.  I do not understand why your Dr told you it was ok.
PF wishes
bec
IP Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter."

Man is what he believes. Anton Chekhov

Unless you believe, you will not understand.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:13pm »

Roxy mixed triptans.  She has NO history of heart disease.  A very healthy 40ish woman who is very physically active and in very good health.  She took a zomig nasal, and she did a shot of imitrex, 1/3 shot, shortly after that.

I am the one who called the ambulance and had to sit with her in the hospital while we waited to find out if she had in fact had a heart attack.  I'm the one who had to call her husband and tell him.  If YOU wish to mix triptans Bill, then that is your choice, but even suggesting it could be acceptable is not a wise thing to do on these  boards.  People get very desperate, and that then results in a very scarey situation for more than yourself.  Roxy was lucky, she suffered no damage, but I will tell you that she came as close as one can come and then still walk away.

Do NOT MIX triptans.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
so do take what they say with a grain of salt.  

Then why, prey tell Brewcrew, are you here reading the boards?
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:48pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:16pm, chewy wrote:

Then why, prey tell Brewcrew, are you here reading the boards?

If you have a problem with me being here, by all means, I encourage you to notify a moderator immediately.

Is taking medical advice from someone who is not licensed to give it something we should swallow hook, line and sinker? Or should we consider all angles and then make up our own minds (i.e., taking it with a grain of salt)?

I apologize if you felt insulted. I do not apologize for the advice I gave. For some people, it is apparently safe. If you don't know which category you fall into, you should assume it's not safe and consult with your doctor. Is that better?

Bill
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:29am »

Bill no one is saying take this information hook line and sinker.  

When it comes to triptans, we've had enough people have some very bad experiences, near fatal, that makes it worth begging people desperate from pain not to go that road.

There are many who have said collectively and even individually in some cases, that we know more than the doctors.  I've heard that said by well published researcher in the cluster field to a room full of people.

I've worked with a few of the doctors that are top in the country on a professional level with regards to clusters.  The only safe advice is not to mix triptans.  Many people do mix them, and amerge is a common one, but that doesn't make it a safe thing to advocate in any fashion when you are dealing with people that would often take death over this miserable insidious pain.

Our objective is not to see people gamble with triptans when we say do NOT mix them.  If your doc has said it's safe, check again with your pharmacist.  

Doctors regularly prescribe medications that cannot be used together or shouldn't be used in a patient for other reasons without fully knowing what the drug is capable of.  Case in point is a prescription to me for flexoril and ultram.  I DO have a cardiac condition, and have had it since age 16, and you are NOT supposed to take a flexoril, a muscle relaxer with heart conditions.  It doesn't make my doc any less competent at treating illness, her specialty isn't pharmaceuticals.  I always research drugs on my own, and ask the pharmacist if I have questions.

It's not about wanting people to swallow medical advice from non licensed persons, it's about knowing how desperate this blasted affliction leaves people, and they will try anything, ANYTHING to rid themselves of the pain.

Cat
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:27am »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:29am, catlind wrote:
Many people do mix them, and amerge is a common one, but that doesn't make it a safe thing to advocate in any fashion when you are dealing with people that would often take death over this miserable insidious pain.

Cat,

Nowhere have I advocated this practice. I have merely stated that it is safe for some. Therefore, it is inaccurate to state that it should not be done. I will agree wholeheartedly that it is ill-advised to do so before consulting your doctor, but it is downright disingenuous to state that it should not be done.

I understand the desire of people on this board to be safe rather than sorry. I am the same way. I was hesitant to mix them before my neuro gave me the green light.

It works for me. It works for some others. It doesn't work for all. Please don't accuse me of advocating something when, indeed, I do not.

Bill
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:45am »

Bill it was not my intention to accuse you of anything.  I do apologize if that was the interpretation.  

That is precisely why it's best to not to suggest even that it is safe for 'some'.  The words on the internet take on the meaning of the reader.  I do not want to suggest you shouldn't tell people what you are doing, I just don't believe it's advisable to even suggest it might be safe for some.  

Posting that you are taking amerge and maxalt within a given 24 hour period on the advice of your neuro is one thing, saying that doing so is safe for 'some' can and will and has been interpreted by others as if it's safe for them it's safe for me, I don't have heart conditions etc. so I can do it too.  

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, I'm not trying to tell you not to post what you are doing, I'm just trying to explain that even using the terms safe for some can and will be taken as ok for me for many who won't talk to their doctors.  

The rule of thumb here has become, for good reason, do NOT mix triptans.  Because of the incidents with members here, we steer clear of even suggesting it may be safe for some but talk to your doctor first, as many will not wait to hear back from their doctors, they'll take matters into their own hands first.

Out of curiousity, have you asked the pharmacist about the potential for interactions with the 2?  I'm not asking so I can say "I told you so" or any other hidden agenda, I am asking in an effort to be sure you have gotten all the facts from all possible sources.  You don't have to even post a yes or no to the question, just be sure, for your own safety, that you have gotten the information from a source that is far better versed in pharmaceuticals than most if not all doctors.  Discussions with some of the leading docs in the field, all well published and highly recognized docs, have indicated that mixing triptans is an absolute no-no and that pharmacists can give a better description of the interactions.  

I have worked closely with Dr.'s Sheftell, Rapoport, Tepper and Researcher and Neurologist Dr. Marcelo Bigal, as well as others in the field.  As the chair of the Advocacy Team for OUCH I would be remiss in giving any other advice than to NOT mix the triptans.

It may be a case of symantics, however, that simple statement of it's safe for some, has historically proven that people will mix without talking to their doctors and pharmacists.

This is not a personal attack or attempt to pin you in a corner as 'wrong'.  It's about the desperation of many who will take even the slightest encouragement and run with it without seeking medical advice.

Cat
IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:15am »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:45am, catlind wrote:

It may be a case of symantics, however, that simple statement of it's safe for some, has historically proven that people will mix without talking to their doctors and pharmacists.

This is not a personal attack or attempt to pin you in a corner as 'wrong'.  It's about the desperation of many who will take even the slightest encouragement and run with it without seeking medical advice.

Cat speaks from experience.   As Cat and Tracey (Roxy) were driving on I-95.....many miles away from home, Tracey and Cat realized that Tracey had mixed the Trex and Zomig.    Tracey suffered life threatning symptoms, and Cat stopped in the middle of I-95 and called 911.  EMT's thought Tracey was in the middle of a heart attack.

They were there....on I-95, because they were driving to a meeting with the doctors at NECH.    Needless to say, the docs from NECH were adamant about their recomendations to NOT mix triptans.    Tracey's husband was in West Va, working.   Greg busted his ass to get to the hospital.....scared to death of what he would find when he got there.

Because of the reaction of her heart to the mix of triptans, Tracey was left with no options to treat her chronic CH.    

Yep, we're not medical docs....but personal experiences and some of the bad shit that happens from mixing, seems to stay etched in our minds.

Therefore, most folks here will always suggest to not mix.   As individuals, we do realize that not all meds work the same for all sufferers.    Reactions to these meds are also different.    Long term use of triptans such as Imitrex just may cause some type of heart problems that we are not even aware of.   We may think we have a healthy heart....but sometimes, in the mix of things, we find out different.

Better to be safe......than sorry.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:04am »

Doesn't anybody understand what I'm saying? Yes, better safe than sorry. Don't mix until you've consulted with your doctor. I'll even throw in your pharmacist (to keep Cat happy). But don't leave it at "don't mix triptans. Period." It's completely unfair to those for whom it works.
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:46am »

There are pleanty of people for whom it works.

The big disclaimer is that it has potentially lethal side-effects.

Sipperstien over at Jefferson wanted to do certain clinical trials ( I was reading about migraine....)
and wouldn't conduct it because of the risk.

I think it comes down to so many being desperate and the what if factor.

All pamphlets say not to mix.
I had a fairly bif time doctor tell me it was ok. He told me that 2 hours should suffice when I wanted to switch from zomig to trex.
I preferred not to.
I think I even asked here if it was ok @ the 22 hour mark for me to go ahead and abort....Desperate but didn't want to take the chance as this was when I still a rookie to meds and didnt have O2.

I think with everything there is always risk.
Period!
I have a perfectly strong heart yet I am detoxing not so much to try an alternative, despite getting whacked around the clock but to not have my heart exposed to verapamil for any longer. I don't want to take a chance on the future.

Thanks,

Eric

My choice. It's all the same
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:06pm »

Bill I do understand what you are saying.  Yes it is highly effective for some, and that's great.  Obviously all actions should be consulted with your doctor and/or pharmacist.

The point I am trying to make is that many many people here are at the end of the desperation rope, and seeing the words safe for some as a general post of information will cause them to become the some without consulting a doctor.  

If you've never been that desperate, I am thrilled for you.  There are some here who are not well versed with CH yet, and some that are absolutely suicidal and desperate.  They are the ones that even seeing it's ok for some will be a potential tragedy.  

If it works for you that's terrific, and there is nothing wrong with posting that it is what you do and that it works for you and you are doing so with your doctors approval, however I will never condone saying it is safe for some because of what I've witnessed and the very desperate nature of many sufferers.

Cat

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:39pm »

Then I guess we will have to agree to disagree on what is, essentially, a semantic issue. I appreciate you wanting to protect those who may be temporarily not of sound mind and being driven by the need to eliminate their blinding pain. Yes, I have been there and never want to go back. Fortunately, I have found a way to keep my pain at "managable" levels. For that I am thankful.

Bill
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:50pm »

Hopefully there will be a day when our pain is dealt with on a level far more effective than 'manageable'.  And in a way that is safe for all who suffer.

That's a goal I hope we can agree on.

Cat
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:54pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:50pm, catlind wrote:
Hopefully there will be a day when our pain is dealt with on a level far more effective than 'manageable'.  And in a way that is safe for all who suffer.

That's a goal I hope we can agree on.

Cat

Absolutely.
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:06pm »

Quote:

In the mean time, advocxating dangerous methods will not help.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:19pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:06pm, chewy wrote:

In the mean time, advocxating dangerous methods will not help.

Did you not read anything I wrote? I advocated NOTHING except checking with your doctor and your pharmacist first. Go back and read it - then decide whether or not you want to use the word "advocate."
IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:32pm »

I have seen 4 different neuro's.  One specializes in ch at ha clinic.  ALL said not to mix triptains within 24 hr of eachother because it can be fatal.  I am healthy and have a good heart.  I had 4 different GP's all tell me not to mix triptans.  I have had 3 pharmacists tell me not to mix triptans within 24 hours of eachother.  I read the insert that comes with the drugs from the pharmacuticle company that makes the drug.  They say not to mix it within 24 hours with another abortive med triptan or ergotamine.  I believe this poster that is recomending mixing them has just been lucky to be alive and his day will come. I strongly urge you to talk to your pharmacist, read up on the medicine your taking, and get a second opinion before it is to late for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:47pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:32pm, Karla wrote:
I have seen 4 different neuro's.  One specializes in ch at ha clinic.  ALL said not to mix triptains within 24 hr of eachother because it can be fatal.  I am healthy and have a good heart.  I had 4 different GP's all tell me not to mix triptans.  I have had 3 pharmacists tell me not to mix triptans within 24 hours of eachother.  I read the insert that comes with the drugs from the pharmacuticle company that makes the drug.  They say not to mix it within 24 hours with another abortive med triptan or ergotamine.  I believe this poster that is recomending mixing them has just been lucky to be alive and his day will come. I strongly urge you to talk to your pharmacist, read up on the medicine your taking, and get a second opinion before it is to late for you.  

Good God, doesn't anybody read the entire thread before posting anymore? I AM NOT RECOMMENDING MIXING TRIPTANS! Did you hear that? How about a little louder?

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING MIXING TRIPTANS!

I am simply saying that I DO mix them with the approval of my neuro. Many people do. I am NOT telling people to go out and do it. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Now - I am done posting on this thread because I feel as though I am banging my head against the wall. Go ahead and flame away.
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 4:43pm »

Quote:
Many people do

Really? Who here disregards the warnings and mixes triptans anyway?

I'll start.

Not me!
IP Logged
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 2:21am »

Hey Brew...........

I've read the entire thread and I have to say I agree with you.  For the MOST part it's NOT ok to mix triptans, but with a recomendation from a doctor that "knows what he or she's doing" it "MAY" be an acceptable course of action.

I think I got your point..............right?

Smiley
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 2:23am »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 4:43pm, chewy wrote:
Really? Who here disregards the warnings and mixes triptans anyway?

Well.......pfshawwww.....I gotta admit, I'm guilty, and I'm still alive. I'll follow the party line statement, tho. The trick isn't about mixing triptans, it's about not needing them. Good Luck.

We'll all be at this for a while.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss