Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches  (Read 508 times)
GE
New Board Newbie
Ukraine 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches
« on: Jan 17th, 2006, 2:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have suffered from Cluster Headaches for over 20 years.  In 1999 I found a doctor who actually recognized them for what they were.  She started me on 75mg of Elavil and 10mg of Loratadine nightly.  After about three months I was practically headache free and those that I did have were manageable.  Last year I lost my health insurance and stupidly let my medication run out.  Within one month I was suffering intensely.  After many very expensive trips to Urgent Care clinics and Emergency rooms I got back on my meds.  I am now back on them and though I do still have some headaches they are not nearly as intense as they have been in the past.  The generic version of this medication is relatively cheap, talk to your doctor about trying this.  I hope it works for you.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 3:51pm »

You are, indeed, fortunate for U.S. headache doctors do not find this class of drugs helpful for cluster. Some individuals may have a good response but other meds are more effective for larger numbers of people.

You may find it interesting to read what one of the better U.S. headache docs recommends:

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Anti-Depressants and Cluster Headaches
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 4:04pm »

This is the first drug my dr tried me on after he took an intense year ruling out other things.  It did nothing for me.  There has been a study done on it and it has shown some limited sucess.  Definitely a drug worth trying but most here haven't had luck with it but a few have.  

I am glad you are back on your meds and finding relief again.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006, 4:06pm by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss