Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « TMJ, CH & TENS treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   TMJ, CH & TENS treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TMJ, CH & TENS treatment  (Read 2709 times)
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

TMJ, CH & TENS treatment
« on: Dec 20th, 2005, 8:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In continuing to speak with my neighbor dentist, he has been talking to an expert in TMJ, etc, and here is what he has to say:

Cluster headaches occur usually on one side of the head and are unbearably painful.They are usually classified as trigemino=vascular type headaches.The cause is believed to be unknown. The hypothalamus is involved. There are autonomic effects with principal involvement of the eyelid and the pupil and sleep apnea is predominant which is believed to be realated to disturbed sleep and the onset of the cluster headache.

. There is good evidence that the cause is a temporomandibular disorder in which there is compression of the mandibular condyle causing displacement of the temporal bone resulting in stimulation of the dura mater supplied by the trigeminal nerve on the side of  compression.There is usually an accompanying subluxation of the atlanto-occipital joint.Thus two effective treatment modalities are Neuromuscular balancing of the condylar compression by TENS produced craniomandibular orthotic which may not always resolve the subluxed A/O joint requiring A/O or Nucca trained DC treatment. The strained dura mater of course causes the trigeminal vascular pain and the involvement of the hypothalmus. Norman Thomas DDS (Hons); MB(Intercalated B.Sc HonsAnatomy/Physiol) Ph.D (U.Bris); Certs. Oral Med and Pathology;FRCD. Professor Emeritus U of A ;Director NM Research LVIADS..

What do you think about treating our head with TENS?
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

Re: TMJ, CH & TENS treatment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 8:21pm »

About as much as I'd think of wrapping a banana peel around my head or wearing a tin foil hat. Wink

Do you think you could stand a TENS hook up anywhere near your head whilst getting hit.  I'd likely pitch it across the room.

Carol
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 8:36pm »

I use a TENS if I can pick the onslaught quick enough and get it on within thirty seconds; if you can’t hit it quick enough you’d do exactly as Carol says and fling it as far as possible.
Do I get relief YES but o2 is definitely my best.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 10:49pm »

Wow..........I understood about 6 of the words you used.  I feel like Cid here...........Am I the only one who is kinda' lost and feeling like an idiot?  Lord, I hope not. Shocked
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There are people that suffer from TMJ, and a casual observer can confuse its pain with that from clusterheadaches. However, for the experts the only common thing in CH and TMJ is the pain in the head.

TMJ can be alleviated by a bite-plate, that prevents the patient from grinding his/her teeth and straining the temporomandibular joints. Some dentists with a pecuniary emphasis, instead of ethics, try to 'cure' TMJ surgically, and they have the same advantage as the septum-straighteners: afterwards it's hard to decide if the intervention was necessary or not.  

BTW, The only 'cured' clusterhead Dannyboy could provide was cured by a bite-plate.  Roll Eyes

Ueli                  smokin
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:41pm »

TENS unit application (formerly known as Shock Therapy) would be a good try, but for the whole direct skin contact thing. Sure, it's no problem for the BHP's, but so Many of the others depend on Rogaine or Dye jobs for their daily composure.....  Skull shaving for full electrode contact won't be high on their priority list. It's not like the point doesn't have merit, tho.

You go first.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:47am »

I hear you Gobby!!

Can we have that in plain english please.  Huh

Rick
IP Logged
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 2:58pm »

I'm not sure of any TMJ connection, but it's good to see some indepth look at nerves involved and an attempt to tie in all of the factors of cluster headaches. I was mis-diagnosed with TMJ as I'm sure many of us were. I did find that the TENS gave temporary relief from attacks. I would be headache free for several days after a 30 minute treatment. This was early on when getting hit only once a day with a bad KIP7 (9am like clockwork and chronic). These days I find using TENS at home sometimes reduces pain levels and will often abort an attack if caught early. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that it has helped Barry! I've posted deatailed descriptions of my TENS experimentation in threads early summer 05' if anyone is interested. Take care all, Rich
IP Logged
llreed
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24th, 2005, 12:58pm »

Hello Newbie Here - not sure about the TENS but I do have CH & TMJ and the plate does relieve some of the jaw pain, with all the clinching I go through. I'm a bad grinder when I get to sleep - hince the plate.  Glad to see people discuss all avenues of this pain - keep it up.
Sincerely - llreed
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24th, 2005, 3:31pm »

TMJ doesn't "cause" clusters although I assume it could trigger a few extra attacks.

Anyone considering a "bite plate" should check out this device.  
Personally, I think "bite plates" per se, are pretty stupid. If you have a grinding problem.......you just grind on the plate. Its like, if your arms are tired from doing push ups on the floor, they're still going to get tired if you do push ups on a pillow.  

This is quite different and I know many migrainers and TMJ people that have had great success with this, even after standard bite plates failed.

P.S. I agree with Ueli as usual...anyone that wants to come near you with a knife, shouldn't be allowed to treat dogs. IMHO.

Anyway....check out:
http://www.drjimboyd.com/

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 1:25pm »

I bumped this thread because I find it very interesting and have noticed some connection myself. Not so much that TMJ causes CH but, as PinkFloyd mentions, it may be an agrivating factor. The bite plate link in his post above is quite interesting. I hadn't seen this before, though I did have a plate once for the back teeth. This one is specific to slowing or preventing the grinding of your teeth and is placed on the front teeth. It may be worth a try if you get that kind of "tightness" in your jaw along with the temple/eye and side-off-head pain. Rich
Edited to add: earlier in thread I stated "not sure of connection". The connection I really noticed is that TENS has been helpful to me. I used to hate all of the doctors and dentists who misdiagnosed my cluster headaches and seemed to waste my time and money. I now see they were trying to help, though their first response should be "see a neurologist while we see if our treatment may help". The thread about the opthamologists not recognizing CH is a good one too. All of these other fields should be well educated in the area of Cluster Headache (and other headache variations) in order to give correct diagnosis! Sorry for extra long post - Rich
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006, 1:35pm by StressFree » IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 12:45am »

I used to grind my teeth and such.  I had a mouthguard at one point and now I have CH.

The other night I woke up with a horrible HA and nerve pain in my teeth and I swore I had jaw pain that reminded me of the jaw pain I had when I used to grind my teeth (hadn't had it in years).

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if there is a connection but using a TENS unit would scare the crap out of me.  I used one on my neck and it was fine but my buddies used to joke about putting it on my head for kicks...... I didn't think it was funny and using during an attack doesn't seem funny to me now.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 7:54pm »

I don't have TMJ, and I don't have sleep apnea, and I would never have the time or the wits about me to place a TENS unit on my head for a cluster!  Like Carol said - wrapping a banana peel, etc.  And I'm not willing to shave my head for electrode placement.

I had terrible long-term discomfort from a chronic hip bursitis and IT Band syndrome once.  A TENS unti (worn all day) eliminated the need for drugs until I was through with PT and better.

A cluster attack for me ramps from a 0-10 within minutes.  While the idea might be right, the logistics are hellish.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 8:01pm »

First I have never been dx with TMJ or used a TENS.  But I have grinded my teeth in my sleep since I was a kid (hubby wakes me up quite often to make me stop) some days I wake up with some pretty bad jaw/teeth pain.  But for me it is still different and NO comparison to CH pain.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 10:58am »

Well lets see, my brother has TMJ, he doesn't have CH.  I have CH and didn't have TMJ when it started.  After a jaw dislocation last Jan. (I was talking to RJ on the phone too much) I now am told I have TMJ.  The onset was after CH onset and has no apparent connection.  

I could believe the info more readily if all TMJ patients had CH and all CH patients had TMJ.  Until then, I'll stick with the theory each case is individual with no common causality or trigger.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 10:58pm »

Back in the 80s I used the tens unit for a while, was the most aggravating thing ever.
Had much better results with magnetic therapy (wich was none)
IP Logged

MJ
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:11pm »

As a bit of an expert on TMJ, just recovering from TMJ surgery, I can say that most of what Ueli says is correct. Most TMJ symptoms can be alleviated by a bite plate. In my case surgery was necessary, in 1982 and again a few weeks ago.

And, having both CH and TMJ, I can state with certainty that there is no link between TMJ and CH.
IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Jan 17th, 2006, 1:58pm »

Hey there SpaceBabe,
I would guess from your experience you can state "with certainty" there is no connection in your case. I have never corresponded with DannyBoy but here is Ueli's quote regarding the only known "cured" clusterhead:
"The only 'cured' clusterhead Dannyboy could provide was cured by a bite-plate. "
I believe there are many factors, including broken hypothalamus, that work in conjunction to cause cluster headache. This is evident by the fact that so many of us are episodic, rather than all being chronic. Many have various apnea, allergy, sleep disorders, other headache variants, levels of stress, smoking, drinking, drug use, meds use, family history, etc. I'd guess the right combination for full up cluster headache syndrome can vary from one individual to another. One thing for sure, we are all looking forward to the day when they can nail it down and fix it! Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss