Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Energy Drinks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Energy Drinks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Energy Drinks  (Read 937 times)
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Energy Drinks
« on: Jan 30th, 2006, 2:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new to posting on this board altho have been a CH sufferer for many years and have used this board for ideas, and great info. Not sure if it has been mentioned before-- but after trying so many things and only finding initrex to be the 'best of all evils' I tried Red Bull energy drink- have taken in when it was chilled or cold and drank whole can ( they are small) in 3-4 gulps. I have gotten good results with receeding demons in 10-15 mins and it seems to work most times . It is not cheap but it does not have any of the side effects of imitrex. If anyone else has tried this - I would appreciate any comments.
I have had attacks for about 10 years on/off and most hit 8-9 on the scale. I hope this can possibly help anyone because I know the pain and frustartion
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Energy Drinks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 3:54pm »

Yes, Red Bull works for me, too. Read more about it here:
http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Red+Bull
 Smiley   pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 4:23pm »

i use red bull at those times when i "kinda-think-i-might-be-gettin-a-hit-but-not certain" moments. i pound it quick, real cold, and it's chased that anxious feeling off a few times. particularly after heavy exercise when i'm very prone to get hit when in cycle. got the suggestion here on CH.com and worked it into the routine.  

it's more expensive than many good bottles of wine when you work out the cost per oz. though.....

but worth it even if it only chases away the "clicks". (that's what I call that pre-hit feeling)

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 4:50pm »

I use Mountain Dew MDX the same way. It has all the same ingredients as Red Bull, but tastes much better in my opinion. Also, it's cheaper than Red Bull ounce for ounce.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:53pm »

Has anyone tried taking pure tauerine supplements ?? - which seems like that is the  'active' and helpful ingrediant in energy drinks ( as well as the caffiene, I suppose).
Just curious as maybe this is cheaper more effective way ( and avoid the taste) to try to combat the demons.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 11:06pm »

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Taurine

Taurine pills, and a quick cup or two of healthy Jo. 1/10th the cost of a Red Bull, but none of the convenience. I guess this makes me pro-choice.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Energy Drinks- Taurine + Kudzu
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:15pm »

After 4 days into episode - and reading this board-- tried taking taurine supplement - 2 times a day at 500 mG ( (brand is 'source naturally) and then 1 -750 mg of Kudzu ( Planetary brand) just before going to bed.

Went all day with pain , no shadows and slept through the entire night ( which is like a miracle) given that my nightly episodes are tytpically soo bad-
If this keeps working - it is like a real miracles.
Has anyobe else tried this combination ??
No side affects that I can tell- seems like the kudzu makes me feel like my mind is blank as I got up - but that might be from an actual painless night of sleep.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 3:19pm »

This is not my experience, just what I've read and heard: Taurine merely enhances the effect of caffeine.  

Not sure if it does anything by itself. In your case, Ray, it appears to either work by itself or in combination with the kudzu.

Too many unanswered questions. But I'm not going to wish for a cycle so I can try to find the answers.
IP Logged

karrie35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Energy Drinks Helping
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 5:57pm »

In the third week of cycle, I am actually having a bit of success with Red Bull. At onset , I tried slamming one on two different attacks, before reaching for my Trex or 02.
It held it somewhere where I was not out of my mind with pain. I am not exactly sure what yet, the jury is still out as far as it being abortive like Imitrex, but I think it does something.....
IP Logged
bassman
New Board Newbie
USA 

learning from all the fools and the sages

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 9:10pm »

when i start to feel a hit coming a redbull seems to help or if the shadows start to get a little heavy it really chases them away.
IP Logged

it's all right now...but later?....forget it
thats later. now is now are you going to be here now
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 12:57am »

I swear by the stuff these days.  I've found that it's much cheaper(in the long run) than imitrex, and has worked wonders for me.  Now I use the suger free version because I can get it at Sams Club for $29.00 a case.  At first it tasted like crap, but now I kinda' like it.  It does make me have to urinate quite a bit though.........must be from stimulating my metabolism or something.  Smiley
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 3:43am »

I haven't tried red bull myself (but I'll keep it in mind for the future), but coca cola diet with lemon and lots of ice did help me with shadows. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

gardengal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:31pm »

I have been trying to avoid anything that might make my CH's worse, so I have not drank any caffine. I take OTC migrane meds for shadows and they work well and are mostly caffine. Do you think drinking caffine when you don't have a CH can bring them on later? I know caffine can cause migranes, they say. yet caffine treats them.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 5:06pm »

Sounds like some ppl are having success with this.  I on the other hand have a history of Hypertension so I would probably end up with a Heart Attack.  DRag

Rock on !
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
carriefu
New Board Veteran
USA 

cfloram@yahoo.com   cfloram@aol.com
Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 6:06pm »

just wanted to add...

mt dewmdx sugar free has been working for all my shadows for the last three days....

the clue for me is to drink the whole bottle ice cold and fast
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 8:43pm »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 6:06pm, carriefu wrote:
just wanted to add...

mt dewmdx sugar free has been working for all my shadows for the last three days....

the clue for me is to drink the whole bottle ice cold and fast

I LOVE the stuff - even when I don't have a h/a. And now it's showing up on sale in gas stations for $0.99 a bottle.

Two in a row and you're ready to chew your own lips off.
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 6:41am »

I got hit a while ago. This time I was ready - I had ice cold Reb Bull nearby. And it WORKED!!!! Cheesy It was amazing! Yahoo! I've never had a med which would taste as good. Wink (Okay, maybe once, when I aborted the attack with ice cream... but that one worked only once...) And it aborted the attack quickly. Fantastic! Smiley

Best wishes & PF time for all,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss