Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Beer Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Beer Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beer Question  (Read 1393 times)
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

Beer Question
« on: Mar 20th, 2006, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband loves his beer as so many others do too! Every time he has a beer I cringe! He is in cycle, and you all know the story! My question is this..While at the Dr. office on friday, I mention beer being one of his triggers and the doctor suggested he try Michelobe. Said that is one of the few beers made with rice rather than yeast (I think). Any find this beer different?  I guess I could just go out and buy him a 6 pack, but I would rather not advocate drinking beer during cycle. (I would feel really bad if  he had a doozy with the devil)
Thanks~
Lizah
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Beer Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 11:56am »

Hi Lizah,

The difference is rice vs. corn. This is where the starch in the beer comes from. The premium beers use corn, and the cheaper ones use starch (I went to the Budweiser beer school in Busch Gardens in tampa a few years back!) All beers use yeast, it's the bacteria that helps the sugar break down and ferment. The beer's label will have the ingredients listed. If it says corn malt or corn syrup, you know it's not a rice-based beer.

Interesting idea, though. It's worth a try, but I say that cause I'm PF at the moment. When in cycle, I wouldn't dare try, especially knowing that the cycle ends and beer-time starts!!

Please do post the results if your husband tries it, OK?
PF wishes.
Jose

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 12:03pm »

Please, stop taking responsibility for him! He knows that alcohol triggers an attack. It's up to him to accept the consequences if he continues to use alcohol, in any form, while he is in an active cluster cycle.

If he won't stop drinking, even though it triggers an attack, then it raises the question: Does he have a problem WITH alcohol rather and FROM alcohol?
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 12:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It is the alcohol itself that is the trigger for a very large percent of clusterheads.  

Some people might be be more susceptible to kegged beer than bottled, or to red wine compared to white wine. But that is for migraines, not for cluster headaches. I think your instincts are right - it will probably make things worse.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006, 12:20pm by floridian » IP Logged
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 12:20pm »

Hi Bob,
The problem is I think he is in denial!!( Ch are new for him..He is only in his first cycle) he  does not have an alcohol problem. He usually only has one an evening if at all. Unfortunately his attacks are at 9:00 pm. A couple times he has obstained from drinking and has still had an attack. (so that, I guess, seemed to be his proof) He is on Kudzu now and it has done wonders for him.I just was hoping to avoid any triggers, if at all possible. I guess what I meant when I stated "I cringe" is I kinda feel like he is playing "Russian Rulet"
Great advise though, perhaps I should just leave it alone and let him figure it out for himself. Possibly I am playing "mother hen" a bit too much! This is all new too me, I need to learn to listen to others as well!! Thanks for the "wake up" Bob.
Lizah
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 1:44pm »

Essential "first cycle" information:

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Steve_Gn
New Board Newbie
USA 

grifden  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 6:08pm »

Best bet is to lay off the beer.
If I am in a cycle, any alcohol will trigger a CH in minutes.
When not in a cycle, I can have a beer or 12.
IP Logged

Someday my tomb stone will read...

Finally
Headache Free!

chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:48pm »

Quote:
"I cringe" is I kinda feel like he is playing "Russian Rulet"  

He is. Alcohol is a common trigger.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:32pm »

You poor thing.
 Drinking when in cycle is like sticking your hand in the meatgrinder. Yeast corn whatever its the alcohol. I wouldn't  feel sorry at all. I hate it for ya.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:39pm »

For me it's a no brainer, if I'm in a cycle and drink I will hurt.
I'd rather not hurt.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 6:35am »

A beer or two while cooking was something I used to enjoy but not anymore.  It is not worth the agony.

I've read posts that indicate alcohol is not a trigger for some sufferers during cycle.  In my case alcohol = excruciating and extended attacks that cannot be stopped.  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 9:48am »

Ok, time to make some corrections here. All beer has yeast. Alcohol is the by-product of the yeast eating the sugars found in beer to start with.  
Corn, rice and wheat are ADDED to beer for flavor, but all beer is made with Barley. The barley is carmalized and then boiled in pure water until the sugars are released from the grain. Hops are added for the bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the brew.  
Additional things like corn (Miller beer uses corn) are for color. Rice and wheat add flavor.  
Yeast causes what we know as fermentation. This is where the alcohol comes from. After the sugars are used up, the yeast dies, and the beer is aged to make certain yeast is dead and to allow the flavors to blend together well.  
Some people have reactions to live yeast, most are sensitive to the alcohol. (i react to both)
I suggest your husband skip the beer until he is past his cycle.  

Dragnlance
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 12:57pm »

Giving up booze when in cycle is not easy. During the average 4-8 weeks cycle time there are many social events where the urge to join in the fun can get the better of you and you succumb to that beer. Not to mention peer pressure if you are younger.  In the past (when I was much younger  Grin ) I tried various drinks to see if they all had the same effect. I found that Scotch and water seemed to have less of a trigger effect, but beer and wine hit me every time. Unfortunately In later years Scotch began to have the same effect as a beer on my CH.  Embarassed

Now if I am in cycle I avoid all alchohol and then at least I have a fighting chance of making in thru the social event without the embarresment of an attack. I stick to Tonic (looks like a G&T) or similar "cocktails".

Out of cycle I can drink with the best of em.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
floridian

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 7:32pm »

on Mar 21st, 2006, 9:48am, Dragnlance wrote:

Corn, rice and wheat are ADDED to beer for flavor, but all beer is made with Barley. The barley is carmalized and then boiled in pure water until the sugars are released from the grain.  
Additional things like corn (Miller beer uses corn) are for color. Rice and wheat add flavor.  
Dragnlance

One correction to the corrections: Not all beer has barley. My wife (gluten intolerant) can drink only specialty brews that contain no wheat or barley. Millet beer is big in Africa and Asia.  Sake is a beer (or malt-liquor, if you prefer USian terms) as it is made from fermented grain. Hard cider is a wine, as it is fermented fruit.  
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 8:06pm »

on Mar 20th, 2006, 11:25am, IpityU wrote:
My husband loves his beer as so many others do too!

Who really gives a shit whats in it....it will be a trigger or it wont!

If a dudes favorite beer is a trigger, he wont drink it in cycle. Not many guys like a change in their beer Grin

I could be wrong, im 30 years chronic and have not found anything that triggers.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

_Lee_
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please stop Wilma.........

« Reply #15 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 8:37pm »

Lithium and possibly shrooms may stop this reaction to alcohol, beer, wine or Jack Daniels. Since I started lithium long before shrooms, I would say lithium is more likely to stop alcohol related cluster headaches. As I think jonny may agree as He might not consume shrooms.

To add

I recall Pinkfloyd and I consuming vast quantities of alcohol
one evening, neither one of us came down with a cluster. I don't know about PF,s lithium usage.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2006, 9:09pm by _Lee_ » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss