Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Too early to start meds? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Too early to start meds?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Too early to start meds?  (Read 500 times)
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

Too early to start meds?
« on: Feb 13th, 2006, 4:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I am so happy to report I've been pain free (well CH pf anyway Roll Eyes) for the past few months but....  

I usually get a cycle in March - lasting around 8-12 wks - and the tell tale reminders have begun. Does anyone else get this before a cycle starts??   Just a short - less than a minute - burst of pure unadulterated pain in the back of the eye.  Been getting it most days - especially on waking if I have a nap.    

Have been having lots of tension headaches and even a migrane! but this is CH stuff.  I know this pain and it scares the begebbers out of me.

Anyway I have some verapamil left over from my last cycle - Aug/Sep - and I'm wondering - cos the verap can take a while to kick it - do you think its too soon to start taking it??  

The last couple of years I've noticed with the March cycle it ususally begins around the 20th so still a while to go til then....  but starting back at Uni next week and dont want to be missing more time.

Other worries/fears  Tongue that I have are that in the past the med that has worked for one cycle hasn't touched the next.  I've used verapamil for the past 2 and I feel like I'm running out of options.  Couldn't tell you what I've used cos I AM THE QUEEN OF VAGUE  Grin but well its been nearly 16yrs now of trial and error.  Sorry I'm rambling... the question is - do you think if I start early I might lesson the chances that it will work for me this time???  

Does anyone else start taking meds at the first sign of a cycle beginning?  Like I say its a few weeks off but I'm shakin in my boots already.....  

Would appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Thanks,

Kate

P.S have got a supplier of 02 sorted from the last cycle and will get some delivered as soon as the beast rears his damn ugly head again.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: Too early to start meds?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Does anyone else start taking meds at the first sign of a cycle beginning?

There is no better time.
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:45am »

Kate, I will start with the Verapamil if I were you.

When I get my tell-tale signs that the beast is lurking, I start taking my preventative(also Verap).
As for the meds not working anymore, yes, that does seem to happen to almost everyone.  My last cycle the neuro upped my Verap, it seemed to have done the trick as the 240mg x 2pd I used to take did not work as well as it should have.

Hang tough, Girl!
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 9:35am »

Hey Kate,  

As I am chronic, I have no real imput for you here. Jas and Chewy have good suggestions. I just wanted to chime in to let you know you have my support as well. We are with you!!

Hoping your cycle gets interupted!!

Dragnlance
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 2:50pm »

Get your O2 before it appears full blown
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:55pm »

Thanks for your replies.

I did wonder if it was a stupid question  Roll Eyes

Was just curious to see what the responses might be.  Will start the verap tonight.

Thanks again, fingers crossed I might abort the whole cycle !!??

PFDAN to you all,

Kate
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:59pm »

The only stupid questions when it comes to CH are the ones that are not asked!!!!

Good luck to you, we are here, ALWAYS!!!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 9:18pm »

Thanks big guy  Grin

I feel like I'm here always too - although usually lurking.  But seeing as I am here now.... geez a lot of bs gets shuffled around on here doesn't it?  If nothing else it makes for an interesting read   Tongue

Keep up the good work everyone, with a new cycle brimming it's great to have somewhere to come where I know that people really do understand.  

This place may have it's sticky moments but I personally couldn't cope so well without it.  

Kate
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 9:10am »

I find myself here a dozen times a day, sometimes I just dont leave. I did not make it last night due to the monster, and I just couldnt sit in front of the computer.  

Thanks to everyone of you, this is home.

Dragnlance (with red eyes today)
IP Logged

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 10:04pm »

If you can predict your cycles fairly accurately a pre-emptive strike with meds. to build serium levels in your blood stream before the first attack?

Naturally discuss it with your doc. first - but it makes perfect sense to me.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
gardengal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:53pm »

I have read people saying that verapamil has ended their cycle?? How?/I wish!!! I would start taking verapamil ASAP. I have heard of people taking up to 480-720 a day if their BP is OK. I use predisone to help until verpapamil kicks in, so if you start early you wont need that.  I know when it is coming because I will have a regular headache for a week and then watch out.Good luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss