Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Amitriptyline and Atenolol works for me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Amitriptyline and Atenolol works for me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Amitriptyline and Atenolol works for me  (Read 3957 times)
RuneWitch
New Board Newbie
USA 

If the broom fits.....ride it!

Email

Amitriptyline and Atenolol works for me
« on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For 45 years I merely survived cluster headaches.  Then 5 years ago, I convinced my doctor to try this combination of drugs.  Neither one works for me by itself, but the combination has kept me CH-free for the past 5 years.  I take 50mg of Atenolol and 100 mg of Amitriptyline before bed each night.  About the only bad side-effect I have noticed is weight gain - but to finally be free of the attacks I would tolerate much more.

My headaches were atypical in that they were episodic, long-lasting (5-9 hours each) with pain levels Kip 7-10.  A cluster lasted from 6 to 15 weeks and occurred 2 to 4 times a year.  From age 18 until age 62, these monsters stole my life.  

In 2000, there was a posting here by a lady who had been CH-free for two years by using Amitriptyline but had been taken off it by her new doctor and was thrown back into the headaches.  Her sharing of this information made it possible for me to aid my doctor in finding a treatment for me that really works.  I hope my sharing of information makes it possible for someone else to live CH-free.
IP Logged

The objective is not to arrive at Death's door all neat and clean - we should slide in sideways, out of breath, all used up, grinning from ear to ear and yelling "Yee-haa!! ... What a ride!!
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Amitriptyline and Atenolol works for me
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:39pm »

Hello rune witch it's nice to meet you!
I'm glad you have found something that works for you. As you are probably all too aware this vile condition has a habit of changing the rules so stick around and you'll be ready if ever you need another "silver bullet"
I notice you were episodic.. do you take the meds you use all year round now or only when you are in cycle?
Looking forward to getting to know you more!
Helen X
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:51pm »

Yes elavil(amitriptaline) has shown prommising results for a few people here.  It is defitetly a medicine to try.  I am so glad that you have found something that works for you! Cheesy
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
RuneWitch
New Board Newbie
USA 

If the broom fits.....ride it!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:51pm »

I take the meds year round and am happy to do so - they've worked for me.  But I do return to this site often, though I have only now registered.  Thanks for the welcome.
IP Logged

The objective is not to arrive at Death's door all neat and clean - we should slide in sideways, out of breath, all used up, grinning from ear to ear and yelling "Yee-haa!! ... What a ride!!
ilcasastronza
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 10:46pm »

I tried a similar combination, atenonol and Nortriptyline. Unfortunately, the Nortriptyline gave the worst side effects that I have ever experienced, it was almost worth having the headache (I know, perish the thought). The atenonol, even on low dose, dropped my blood pressure way too far as well. I've tried amitriptyline with no success.

BTW, the side effects with Nortriptyline were quite difficult to take. They were as follows: insomnia, nightmares, ED, fatigue, confusion, anxiety, and severe dry mouth.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:50pm »

Hey There!

Amitriptyline.......NASTY DRUG!  I am glad it works for you.  Let me just give you one bit of advice.  Amitriptyline does not play well with very many other medications and actually has soe LEATHAL effects so ANYTIME you are given something else to take ask the pharmacy to double check your meds. The odds are that your Doctor will not know but the Drug Store will be able to tell you.

Good Vibes and PF days ahead for us all!

Your Brother in Pain

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss