Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Have you tried ice / icepacks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Have you tried ice / icepacks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Have you tried ice / icepacks  (Read 541 times)
Ice-Man
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Hello

Email

Have you tried ice / icepacks
« on: Feb 24th, 2006, 2:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, my name is Darren.  I have been a  chronic cluster head for 2 years. Either that or I am waiting for the end of my first cycle. All of a sudden it dawned me to try applying an  icepack to the region of my head and guess what ...?  it is just like going to the dentist  and having a numbing injection. The beast still comes on, but with the ice pack  on the side of my head,  I can still operate as normal.  
Could'nt tell what kip scale I am getting because pain is frozen with ice.  
I get my clusters coming on at between 4pm and 7pm every night.  This ice is the best thing for pain relief that I have found.    I can still have a beer and a cigarette with the beast in action and not feel it.  
Has anyone else tried ice packs (I use a very small one  2 inches by 2 inches so that I can pinpoint the speicific region and slowly move it around to ease pain.)  The first time I used an ice cube in a plastic bag but are now using this small icepack.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Have you tried ice / icepacks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:58am »

It must have been 2-3 years ago that this approach was the subject of many messages. Some folks used packages of frozen peas because it could be shaped around the base of the skull.

But--we have also seen others trying using heat. A few reports of directing a hair dryer at the point of pain (neck or temple).  

I've tried both approaches over the years with mixed results. We all have our bag of tricks!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 7:02am »

G'day, Ice-man, and welcome to the nut-hut.  The mob can be a bit unruly at times but there really is a wealth of information here and people world-wide who know from the inside what only another ClusterHead can understand.

As to ice, many of us swear by it and I just wish I could remember who said, 'Frozen peas are my friends'.

Equally, others are terrified at even the thought of an ice-pack and use heat instead.  I use both, commonly at the same time, figuring if I can't beat the beast the least I can do is confuse the mongrel and hope he moves on.

Just looked at the map.  Ya know you and I couldn't be further apart unless one of us left the country?

Cheers and beers,

Brian up north.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 8:50am »

Welcome, Ice-man. I like ice, too. Or very cold air. Like the car air conditioner. Heat is very much a trigger for me. Speaking of triggers, alcohol is a very common one. Have you tried abstaining, just to see if the headaches let up? Just a thought.  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 10:05am »

Quote:
As to ice, many of us swear by it and I just wish I could remember who said, 'Frozen peas are my friends'.

That would be E-Double.

Ice is my coping mechanism of choice as well, along with good strong (very strong) coffee, however if I'm getting hit and I need ice there is no way I can function period.  I use a larger size ice pack, and have a way to make reusable ones on the cheap that stay cold for a good long while.  Quart size ziplock freezer bag, 2 cups unpopped popcorn,  1/2 cup tap water, fill the bag the rest of the way with rubbing alcohol, squeeze out all the air, close the bag and freeze away.  Stays pliable like a gel filled cold pack but stays colder much longer.

Pegg
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 3:36pm »

Pegg,
Very cool recipe! No pun intended.  I use frozen peas, they are my friends.  I sleep with them on my face (my husband is a VERY tolerant dude) but after a few nights they sarts getting difficult.  I am going to try you methods.
P.S. have tried standing in very hot water with ice on head.  Did not work.  Heat is a triger for me.
The ice numbs to a point but I wouldn't dare drinka beer.  Have driven with frozen peas plastered to face.  Do not recommend this either.
PFDAN  
Kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:49pm »

I am a HEAT person. Cold will piss the beast off, and cause it to turn my brains into pudding. If you want to hear me scream and cry, an ice pack will do it every time

Dragn
IP Logged

medic1852
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

This will only hurt for a little while!

medic1852  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:49pm »

In the summer I stand in front of the air conditioner vent and breath through my nose...Until I need to pace....In the winter I go out side and breath through my nose and pace Huh..
Some people know how to cool their O2 while it is in the bottle..Not sure how bet Jonny knows.
IP Logged

Shoot Low Sherrif He's Riding a Sheltland Pony!

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:56pm »

I wither in pain with heat.  It is a trigger for me.  I love ice.  It is my friend.  I sweat alot durring an attack and the ice cools me down.  I have several terry towels with ice gel pack in them.  I got them at Walgreens like that.  Anyway I drap one oround my neck and another one gets drapped over my head.  It doesn't make the beast go away or numb it but it soothes me and makes me feel better.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Radha
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:25pm »

yes i depend on ice packs alot!! most of the day i am sitting with an ice pack pressed to the left side of my head and over my eye, and it is soothing and helps somewhat, but doesnt get rid of the headache, but its good in addition to some medicine. heat is a definate no no for me!!  
radha
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:45pm »

Before I was diagnosed, and had no meds, I tried packing my head in ice during an attack. Best it ever did was knock it down one maybe two on the Kip. Left a lot of wet sheets and mushy upholstery!

Like others I'll stick my head in the freezer and breathe deeply through my nose, or put my face in front of the air conditioning vents in my car. That will occasionally abort, and regularly lessen the intensity of an attack. I've never tried the heat approach as I get uncomfortably hot during an attack. If it works for you, keep doing it till it don't work! Good luck.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
gardengal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:56pm »

Ice helps me at times,but sometimes it hurts just to touch my temple during a CH. I go outside in winter,cold is better for me. I always strip down to underwear and want to be cold during a HA. Peas work good. I learned that icing my horses legs.
IP Logged
wing_nut
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dude, this sucks

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 10:24am »

Read this post and decided to try the ice pack. Ya.....NOT A GOOD THING for me. all it did was piss off the beast. I'll keep trying
IP Logged
Ice-Man
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Hello

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:51am »

Hi - Ice - Man here.  Thanks for all your responses.  For  people that like cold, its more of a technique rather than 'slapping on an icepack'.  What I have is a 2 inch sq x  1/2 inch ice  pack that I got in Australia while camping.  There are two sides of plastic, two sides of textile and in the middle is polymer, so when soaked in water to expand and then frozen, is not like a cold ice cube.   It is more like a frozen pack of peas  (as they say) but just smaller.  Going back to the tcehnique, intially when i first feel the 4 o'clock shadows,  the sooner the better that I get this ice pack on. It's initially a bit cold but I persever and pin point  the pack to the initial pain and then gradually move it around to upper and outside of the skull to tame things down and keep moving it rather than holding a huge ice pack on the head.    This is not for people that don't like cold, but without out a lie, I can tame attacks that are guaranteed to be an 8 or a 9 down to a 3 or a 4 kip..    These packs are small, and I have  heaps in the freezer and i usually use between 3 or four and they are re-usable.  I havn't been on meds yet in two years or oxygen but I have just received in the mail today my kudzu pills, so will let you now how these go.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 5:51am »

Indeed!

Frozen peas are my friends!!!!!!! Grin

The cold has knocked back a rapidly increasing attack many times. Other times I can not tolerate it , however it still remains a first line of defense along with oxygen for me.

Cold weather is also a blessing for me as I prefer to freeze my a$$ off as I pace my backyard @ 5am.

It is a much more pleasant scene, now that I own a house with a relatively big backyard.

I used to walk the streets in the middle of the night with my coffee, cigs, frozen whatever on my head, looking like one of the consumers from the group home that was down the block from my old apartment. I swear they'd look at me as if I were the one with mental illness.  

Go figure Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
ABarham
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

weezerbarham  

« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 4:17pm »

Adam did this last night and said he thought it did reduce the duration of his ha.  another thing he has been doing is sleeping at about a 45 degree angle.  He says he is not sure yet, but thinks this is helping reduce the frequency of the night hits.

lol
IP Logged

Louise
Mother of CH son
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 4:56pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2006, 4:17pm, ABarham wrote:
is sleeping at about a 45 degree angle

I pretty much live in my recliner while in cycle for the little sleep I do get , and as Casey Caison says, "the hits just keep on comin."
just goes to show, what works for one, does not work for another.  You have to try everything and work out your own little CH tool kit.   Smiley
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss