Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « imitrex tip.... tried it? liked it? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   imitrex tip.... tried it? liked it?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imitrex tip.... tried it? liked it?  (Read 473 times)
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

imitrex tip.... tried it? liked it?
« on: Feb 26th, 2006, 5:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

im a little afraid of needles.  but i can deal with the stat dose especially due to the ch's.  i understand how to do the trick just a little nervous about poking myself then then poking the thing thats poking in me.

anyone have any suggestions.

IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
totka2
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Oxygen

Re: imitrex tip.... tried it? liked it?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 7:18am »

I tried it and love it.
Make a try with a common (sewing) needle: pick it gently touch your skin with the needle and you will be found some point where you don't feel the smart.
IP Logged

http://www.clusterheadache.hu
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 7:31am »

Tried it, tried it and tried it again without benefit.  In my case it didn't work but I know it has worked for many folks here.

We all seem to respond differently to treatments - it's kind of a gotta' try it and see if it works for you disease.
If if doesn't work, don't be discouraged - keep working until something does.  

Good luck and best wishes

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 1:22pm »

Im not to fond of needles myself,....... ok, I have tattooed sleeves, but that needle hardly breaks the skin Grin

Doing the tip is like anything, once youve done it a few times you will be a pro at it. Of course its better in the arm, but that dont mean you cant use it in your thigh. Lots of folks use the thigh as the inject site.

You will get the hang of it, I promise  Kiss
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 9:38pm »

I use vials and syringes... I've also taken the cartridges and released them into an empty sterile vial. Talk to your doc about getting the vials, I've found my insurance will cover a lot more of the vials per month, I've gotten up to 25, where as they would only cover 4 stat dose injections. The needles don't bother me, it may be just getting used to it, as Jonny said. If it helps you, you'll make the decision.

Good luck!
IP Logged

tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 11:46pm »

thanks im going to ask about the vials.  i think that i either read on here or on ouch that the fda approved the 4mg imitrex.  i asked my neuro about it and he wrote a script.  but the pharmacy told me that they could not even order it.  i called my  blue choice about it and they said that it had to be approved by the doc.

and i like the thigh for injection better.  it makes nasty bruises on me though, so its easier to hide.
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 11:58pm »

Using the StatDose kit is about as subtle as an aircraft carrier landing.  I don't care for it, but I use it when I have to.  It is less painful and less likely to bruise you doing it the Trex Tip way and you'll be able to kill at least twice the attacks with the same amount of trex.  

I prefer the vials and syringes myself.  You can get the 31 guage .5 cc short needle syringes, preload them and put them in an hard eyeglasses case.  I keep about 5 loaded in the kit at all times along with alcohol wipes and a spare vial.  With the small needle you barely feel the prick and do not suffer from bruising.

IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:41am »

Needles... it is a mind over matter thing.

If you decide to go for imitrex then that little needle can never hurt as much as CH. Wink

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:10pm »

gator,, i talked to the nurses (or whatever they are) at my neuro.  and they said that the doc doesnt trust the vials.  but then again they are about as much help as a advil.
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 9:45am »

That's just so much BS.  What's not to trust?  I've never had a problem with trex from the vials.  In fact, the vials frequently have more than 50 units.  Most of the time I've noticed there are about 60 - 65 units which means a lot of people can get three aborts from a vial where they may only get two from a statdose kit.

Don't ask the nurses or whatever they are.  It's been my experience that the nurses are pretty clueless about CH and it's treatment, especially if the doctor's knowledge is lacking.  If it's something you want to try, tell the doctor to prescribe them on a trial basis and if you like it, then you can make it a permanent thing.
IP Logged
wing_nut
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dude, this sucks

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:01am »

As the beast woke me up at 1:30am with about a KIP 9, and I reached for my Stat Dos pen, I couldn't even imagine trying to draw trex out of a vial with one eye tearing and closed, and me wanting to do laps around the house. I must say KUDOS to those of you that can do it. Maybe when insurance stops paying for my Trex, I will have a different view, and will be forced to use the needles.
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 8:47pm »

That's why you have syringes loaded in advance. I always have several in an eyeglass case, and also in my bed table. Otherwise, I can't deal with it either.
IP Logged

pfunk

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Was very hesitant to use needles at first as well.  But when I got the first TREX shot from the doc, and realized how good it worked, I decided that I'd inject it in my eye if it'd make the pain go away any faster.  As far as stat-dose pens, I prepare the needles as soon as I get the pack so I don't have to try and do it when I'm pretty much blind in my right eye.  Also, Jonny's right again, I often use my thigh though the arm/shoulder-deltoid region seems more effective.
Hang tough, it will get better.

Pfunk Wink
IP Logged
tessa_c2
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 2:19pm »

gator

i have a follow-up last day of this month, so ill ask him then.  and from the past couple of phone calls to the office i can tell that the women up front dont know what they are talking about.    i just got the needles  from the nurse where i work  and they are a HELL  of a lot smaller than the ones in the stst dose.  so i think that i just malke me a couple of needles that way until i find out.  

its just starting to be a pain in the ass.  the las doc that i had the nurses were pretty good, but it was the doctor that sucked.  now its the other way around
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive" audre lorde
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss