Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Quick remedy (It shocked me that it worked) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Quick remedy (It shocked me that it worked)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Quick remedy (It shocked me that it worked)  (Read 1101 times)
bittsen
New Board Newbie
USA 

I hate cluster headaches!!!!!

Quick remedy (It shocked me that it worked)
« on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, I am new here so forgive me if this has been posted before.

My Dr. Diagnosed me with Turbinate probs but that didn't fix me.

This last episode of cluster headaches has been pretty bad and a friend suggested a cure that blew me away.

First, let me tell you I always take aspirin when one comes on and for 20 minutes I could pull the trigger on a gun. But then the aspirin does it's thing and its completely gone in about a minute's time.

Well, my friend said she puts a hot pack on her sunus area and it goes away.
I finally, reluctantly, tried it last night and it worked like a charm. In fact, the washrag I used worked whether hot or cold. Something about the water maybe.  

Anyhow, if it keeps me from contemplating my demise, I will keep doing it.

Anyone else ever try the wet rag?
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Quick remedy (It shocked me that it worked)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 3:12am »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 2:23am, bittsen wrote:
First, let me tell you I always take aspirin when one comes on and for 20 minutes I could pull the trigger on a gun. But then the aspirin does it's thing and its completely gone in about a minute's time.

Try taking the cluster quiz on the left, cause from what I read "You do not have CH"

Aspirin?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 3:23am »

Hi Bittsen, I have to say aspirin won't touch the sides of CH however, there are over 600 headache types and many have several symptoms in common. The key is finding the right one as the wrong medication won't just not help your pain, it could kill you.
Can you describe more of your symptoms and the length of your headaches (with and without treatment)
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

bittsen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 12:00pm »

OK, first thing, I did take the quiz.
Second  
I will be sleeping, and wake up on excruciating pain under and behind my right eye.  
I have had a complete MRI and the only thing the doctor saw was "enlarged turbinates".
The headaches have on a few occasions come on while I was awake and go from zero on the scale to a 10 in about 5 minutes.  
If untreated.....(yeah, like I would allow it to go on untreated) it will last for about 45 minutes until I feel a quick sudden increase (yes, it is possible to go past a 10 on the scale, you do however scream in agony at the time) there is a "sensation" that lets me know relief is about 3 minutes away.
I have only let it go full cycle twice.

Now, it is possible that the aspirin has a placebo effect, or it is possible that in me (remember the cause of cluster headaches is unknown) the trigger for the cluster headache is affected by aspirin.

Also, a note, The headaches are ALWAYS at night (2 exceptions) and they are more frequent in the spring or fall. And yes, I have gone years between episodes.  

<I>whew.......this early typing is hard on the brain</i>
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 12:51pm »

When I went undiagnosed for a couple of years I became an aspirin junkie - I got up to 11 x-tra strength Excedrin at the first sign of attacks that basically went on for an hour or more so I knew it was time to stop ye old aspirin therapy.  Aspirin only appeared to be effective due to the shorter attacks that abated by themselves within 15 or 20 min.

I had simular results from hot compresses on sinus/eye/temple areas.

Keep records of your experineces and work closely with your docs. because you may not be suffering from CH.

Good luck on your journey and let us know how things are going.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Hello again Bittsen,
From what you say your attacks are fairly short lived which makes me think it is more likely to be Paroxysmal Hemicrania than CH. It is thought TAC's which both CH and PH are varieties of are caused by the Hypothalamus, a gland in your brain. When an attack occurs the blood vessels in your brain expand by up to ten times their normal size which is what causes the excruciating pain.
If aspirin is working I would hazard a guess that either your attacks are shorter than you think or you don't have a TAC type headache as frankly, you'd be the first one to have aspirin work for on a full blown hit to my knowledge. The most common abortives are triptans and o2 both of which are vaso constrictors and work by bringing the blood vessels back to normal size and thus reducing the pain. Aspirin is a completely different type of painkiller and works in a different manner. For this same reason, opiates are not effective for CH. Extemely powerful painkillers but just the wrong type.  
PH whilst being as painful as CH differs in two ways, the length of the attacks, which you fit and responsiveness to other drugs such as indometacin. It would be well worth discussing this possibility with your doctor as for the sake of a few days of indo on a trial you could be pain free.. which is our goal!
Let us know how you get on, everyone's experiences all add up to our collective knowledge!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:45pm »

Well Hello,

Asprin as with most over the counter meds usually just take our money and leave us a little poorer and in pain.  The hot,warm, cold thing doesnt surprise me.  Its the same nerves that trigger the Brain Freeeze I have From time to time had fair results with hot washclothes on my face. But it only has taken the edge off NEVER aborted one.  

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
bittsen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:49pm »

Don't get me wrong. It did in no way abort the episode. But it did make life extremely bearable.  

I was able to go back to sleep as long as the washcloth was on my face.
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:44pm »

I find asprin a really good way to burn a hole in your stomach during a CH hit. Doesnt do a thing for the pain

Dragn
IP Logged

bittsen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 11:52pm »

LOL.......if I took more than 2, yeah...

But they are coated aspirin like the ones heart patients have to take. I take them infrequently.
IP Logged
tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 4:11am »

i wish that asprin or apap would help me.  would keep a lot of money in my pocket.
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 6:21pm »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 11:44pm, Dragnlance wrote:
I find asprin a really good way to burn a hole in your stomach during a CH hit. Doesnt do a thing for the pain

Dragn

You noticed that too huh? I thought it was just me.  I recall when I was trying to deal with these before I knew anything and man did I eat alot of pills!!!!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 5:17am »

bittsen,

I suffer from lots of different kind of HAs, CH being the worst. From my experiece aspirin works for the regular HAs, but it does absolutely nothing to CH. I know it very well as I tried it when I got my very first CH hits.

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss